Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

I remember him getting stick last season as well when we didn't win for 9 games or whatever it was. These people are just so irritating and thick if they cannot see where the problem lies at this club. Rafa is the best thing to happen to us in over a decade. I said this last season but we seem to have more than our fair share of complete weapons in our support. It annoys the fuck out of me.

I remember him getting stick last season as well when we didn't win for 9 games or whatever it was. These people are just so irritating and thick if they cannot see where the problem lies at this club. Rafa is the best thing to happen to us in over a decade. I said this last season but we seem to have more than our fair share of complete weapons in our support. It annoys the fuck out of me.

Happened in the Championship as well. "Wa shud be playin 2 up front man".

How can they not see that Ashley is the problem? It baffles me.

It'll be the same people who think the 'well if that was [insert past Ashley-era manager here] there'd be hell on' shite. Completely ignoring the bigger picture.

It'll be the same people who think the 'well if that was [insert past Ashley-era manager here] there'd be hell on' shite. Completely ignoring the bigger picture.

To be fair, Ashley put billions in to rescue the club and all Rafa has done is buy Manquillo. Fair play to them.

It would be a completely different story from them if Sunderland were a successful club.

I don't think anyone disagrees Ashley is the problem, well the ones with eyes and a brain, i reckon its just some think Rafa should be doing a tad better. Personally i don't think he can with the under funded, lop sided squad he's got at his disposal.

And the old well he bought the players argument (Manquillo who i fucking hate because he's woeful would be the worst buy and something Rafa baffled me with), well aye but i'm pretty sure Rafa bought a squad to get us out of the Championship thinking he'll rebuild that when we got up, then Ashley steps in destroys that common sense approach because he's an utter moron.

If i have a gripe it would be that i wish we could play a tad better football, not attacking football as such, just a bit better ball retention and play. Even with a piss poor squad sabotaged by our moron owner, our players should be able to do the basics right, which a fair few of them can't even do at times.

Absolutely mental to even consider that Rafa isn't straining every sinew to get more out of this squad, including questioning every single one of his own decisions. He's a borderline psycho when it comes to tactical details and how things can be improved. :lol:

If it was as straightforward as just telling them to attack more (our strikers are shit, the way some go on you'd think they're just starved of a bit of service) then I reckon he'd have done so.

Our problem was the club resting on its laurels in the summer - see Ashley's statement at the end of the season when he essentially made it clear the squad needed no improvement - just as it's done loads of times before including after Pardew finished 5th. Just assuming everything can happen again without spending anything, no matter how blindingly obviously unsustainable something is. Conveniently forgetting that everyone else tries to improve all the time, just as any fucking sporting institution should.

Some of them do, well at least some of them say they do.

My mate for instance, 'i know it's ashleys fault that we're in this mess... But...'

But fuckin nothing man, that's all there is to it.

Absolutely mental to even consider that Rafa isn't straining every sinew to get more out of this squad, including questioning every single one of his own decisions. He's a borderline psycho when it comes to tactical details and how things can be improved. :lol:

If it was as straightforward as just telling them to attack more (our strikers are shit, the way some go on you'd think they're just starved of a bit of service) then I reckon he'd have done so.

I know how hard he works and his attention to detail would not be bettered by any other manager imo. Personally i would like a tad better ball retention, not 'attack more' as i don't think you can with this squad.

Behind him, but losing faith ever so slightly. So somewhere between the top two options, I guess. By that, I don’t think we would get anyone better and I 100% want him to stay and for a long time, hopefully.

But even allowing for the shit budget. I’m not sure on some of his signings, the reluctance to use ‘expensive’ players (by our standards, at least) and the way he has handled certain players who have been moved on.

I also feel the tactics seem even more cautious this year. Cardiff and Leicester were shambolic and I don’t pin that all on the players being not good enough. Are they that bad that we should struggle to a 0-0 with Cardiff and get played off the park at home by Leicester? I have no issue with how we set up against the better sides. But it feels like we’re getting stuck in a rut and not even having a go. Pretty ugly to watch.

Ultimately, we’re in this position because of our cunt of an owner. But I don’t think that should mean players and the manager should be exempt from minor gripes.

At this point i wouldnt even blame the players and manager if they just sat down and done fuck all for the full 90 minutes.

My view is that anything, including results and performance, mean absolutely nowt anymore. Any vitriol or negative thoughts should be aimed in one direction only, regardless how things are going on the pitch.

At this point i wouldnt even blame the players and manager if they just sat down and done fuck all for the full 90 minutes.

My view is that anything, including results and performance, mean absolutely nowt anymore. Any vitriol or negative thoughts should be aimed in one direction only, regardless how things are going on the pitch.

:thup: we stay up! Whoop de fucking doo. Rafas off and so will the players eventually.

Behind him, but losing faith ever so slightly. So somewhere between the top two options, I guess. By that, I don’t think we would get anyone better and I 100% want him to stay and for a long time, hopefully.

But even allowing for the s*** budget. I’m not sure on some of his signings, the reluctance to use ‘expensive’ players (by our standards, at least) and the way he has handled certain players who have been moved on.

I also feel the tactics seem even more cautious this year. Cardiff and Leicester were shambolic and I don’t pin that all on the players being not good enough. Are they that bad that we should struggle to a 0-0 with Cardiff and get played off the park at home by Leicester? I have no issue with how we set up against the better sides. But it feels like we’re getting stuck in a rut and not even having a go. Pretty ugly to watch.

Ultimately, we’re in this position because of our c*** of an owner. But I don’t think that should mean players and the manager should be exempt from minor gripes.

Cardiff maybe, but we were away and drew.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that we got outplayed by Leicester, they are miles better than us, sad as that is to say. (Yes i know we beat them away last season, that WAS a surprise)

Brighton home is ridiculously huge at this early stage, we simply have to win that game.

I'm not sure that not being fully behind Rafa should be regarded as madness or a crime by some on here. How about the dull tepid boring defensive football we play. I feel sorry for him in that he's been royally shafted by Ashley since he arrived (whoever saw that coming) but can you honestly say he's getting the maximum out of our players?

I'm not sure that not being fully behind Rafa should be regarded as madness or a crime by some on here. How about the dull tepid boring defensive football we play. I feel sorry for him in that he's been royally shafted by Ashley since he arrived (whoever saw that coming) but can you honestly say he's getting the maximum out of our players?

I think he's doing everything humanly possible to get the maximum out of our players yeah. Should we blame him that Kenedy and Diame are useless this season compared to last? Think that's on them tbh.

To add to that, we don't even have the players to play any kind of decent attacking football anyway :lol:

I know, its like people think we will suddenly be Brazil 70.  When in reality we are more like Debery 08.

To add to that, we don't even have the players to play any kind of decent attacking football anyway :lol:

Rafa being a tactical coach probably sees stability first. If he given very little money, i can see him buying and setting up a very negative team.

The problem with the negative football is just compounding itself with Ashley attitude towards the club and a highly safety 1st attitude Manager.

Honestly think we have a much better chance of surviving with Rafa's Turtle/counter style than a Rafa's lets attack and try to win style.

Longer term wise, Ashley is the sabotaging agent. He is consistently trying to be smart and run us like a dollar store. Its just not a enjoyable and pretty picture to look at.

Rafa can do much better than us, i respect him for that alone for sticking with us.

The fixture list is definitely a major factor IMO. We need every player to be full of confidence and playing above their level to have any chance - that’s what Rafa achieved last season.

The fixtures made that impossible this time around, we’ve really only had one result worse than expectations.

The situation is bleak but I have some faith that Rafa was expecting this and is managing people to be ready for the easier run.

I know how hard he works and his attention to detail would not be bettered by any other manager imo. Personally i would like a tad better ball retention, not 'attack more' as i don't think you can with this squad.

I feel that this is largely not something Rafa can be blamed for - he's not telling Diame to miss a square ball from five yards, or defenders to panic and bomb it forward.

Having said that, Ayoze running into blind alleys and coughing up the ball a dozen times every weekend is partly on Rafa, because he is so isolated that whenever he gets the ball three defenders converge on him. Similarly, Ritchie on the right means we have a slow winger who cuts in every time, which is predictable and easily defended against.

However, it all comes back to the short blanket theory. Someone stronger and better on the ball in the hole (like... Longstaff?) wouldn't press and run the way Ayoze does, or have the technique of Ayoze. Murphy might be a better winger, but Rafa wants Ritchie on the pitch when he's trying to build a game for the first hour. We've seen (when Murphy starts on the left) that he doesn't offer much Ritchie doesn't.

He's trying to find a solution to an intractable problem, and this is the best plan he could come up with. It's ugly, and we're winless in seven, but it will come good*

* A very relative term