Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Give your heads a shake. We're shite cos of Ashley, not cos of Rafa

Its a combination of both, Ashley isn't forcing him to leave his most expensive signings on the bench is he?

Or to keep playing Joselu when we could be trying something else, or to set the team up in a which totally stifles any creativity.

A mixture of both. [emoji38] You honestly think this squad should be achieving more then? His most expensive signing was £10m and the someone else to Joselu's is injured.

More than 2 points in 8 games, yes I do ffs :lol:

Look who we've played, and look at the squad Rafa is forced to use.  The squad is where it should be.

Its a combination of both, Ashley isn't forcing him to leave his most expensive signings on the bench is he?

Or to keep playing Joselu when we could be trying something else, or to set the team up in a which totally stifles any creativity.

The cost of a player means very little now days. For 10m you get average at best.

Guest firetotheworks

A mixture of both. [emoji38] You honestly think this squad should be achieving more then? His most expensive signing was £10m and the someone else to Joselu's is injured.

More than 2 points in 8 games, yes I do ffs [emoji38]

You say that knowing full well who those 8 games were against. As far as I can see 4, possibly 5 points from those matches would have been a great start. I don't think there's a great deal more Rafa could do with these players.

Not got good memories of Rafa's Newcastle team going on the attack while on a losing run.

None of our players apart from Kenedy can make a difference on their own. I got zero confidence in our front line, probably a worst combination of strikers then last season.

I could see us going down, if none of the strikers start showing form. Looks like we will be on a real struggle to score this season if no one takes responsibility fro it. 

Guest firetotheworks

Apparently its impossible to be critical of one man without being accused of defending the other, Ashley is a cancer on this club and in the big picture he is the biggest problem and always will be, but I wont pretend Rafa isn't to blame for anything that goes on in training or on the pitch, he is the manager after all.

No, you're doing the whole "Ashley's terrible but Rafa should still be doing better with what he has", as if what he has is anything other than a Championship team. You can call that opinion impossible and I'd agree, Ashley's lack of investment and Rafa's ability to  perform to the best of his ability are two inextricably linked things, you can't just separate the two things and say they're both equally to blame.

Guest firetotheworks

Giving Atsu 90 minutes - he's either on smack or he's given up. Let down by Ashley yes, but some absolutely baffling selection decisions.

Did you post this without watching the match?

I have full faith in Rafa Benitez as a manager. I've less faith Rafa is as motivated as he used to be though, which concerns me. But we all knew he'd be off if Ashley didn't sell, so can't say we didn't see this coming either. The fact he's actually still here says a lot about Rafa as a man of his word, but even then the stuff that's been out of his control and going against him would have absolutely broken many others. It's a no win situation for Rafa as is, sadly.

Giving Atsu 90 minutes - he's either on smack or he's given up. Let down by Ashley yes, but some absolutely baffling selection decisions.

I was at the game actually. Why do you ask?

Guest firetotheworks

Just not sure why Atsu would be the player you'd single out.

Probably because he's not had a good game in well over a year and offers absolutely bugger all. Baffled as to why he got 90 mins.

You're right in that there are way, way bigger problems. It just irritated me is all.

Lots of calls online for him to to, tonight. :???: :rant: I still have faith - the man has been backed into a corner by the owner, who will be sat pissing himself tonight. Because guess who wins again? Not Rafa and not the supporters.

Perhaps Ashley's endgame here is to force Rafa to resign, with fans turning on him. Rafa would then have to pay Ashley.......  I don't think the owner is bothered about relegation, as he can sell Lascelles and Shelvey to offset the loss in reveue. And he will also have two seasons of TV cash by then. He's no going anywhere.

Jumping between the first two options to be brutally honest.

Never would suggest he's deliberately throwing games but can't help but think he's being slightly "political" with his use of players.  Which if he is I'll be 100% behind him.

If this is him picking his best 11 players and subs, and tactics to try and win matches then maybe the stress is getting to him.

Guest firetotheworks

Probably because he's not had a good game in well over a year and offers absolutely bugger all. Baffled as to why he got 90 mins.

You're right in that there are way, way bigger problems. It just irritated me is all.

He's done fuck all, that's true. Thought he was one of the better performers today, which is probably damning with faint praise though admittedly.

The only people calling for Rafa to go are the same people who were calling for him to go since day one. The thing about bad runs and performances is that it gives these people an opportunity to raise their heads.

There is a difference between not liking one of his subs and wanting him out. 99.9% of the people there today were questioning the sub.

Lots of calls online for him to to, tonight. : ??? : :rant: I still have faith - the man has been backed into a corner by the owner, who will be sat pissing himself tonight. Because guess who wins again? Not Rafa and not the supporters.

Perhaps Ashley's endgame here is to force Rafa to resign, with fans turning on him. Rafa would then have to pay Ashley.......  I don't think the owner is bothered about relegation, as he can sell Lascelles and Shelvey to offset the loss in reveue. And he will also have two seasons of TV cash by then. He's no going anywhere.

It's a mexican stand-off with neither going to pull the trigger as there is too much money involved. Got no doubt that Ashley wants rid of him and I honestly believe currently Benitez would not be against going right now under the current environment. Ashley is not going to go and he is making that point obvious by suddenly attending matches. I honestly belive this season is going to be one of the worst in the clubs history with not a hope for major investment (he will put the money aside for next year in the championship), turgid football and possibly even a lowest premiership points total on the cards. It's a no win situation whatever way you look at it but the majority of people who go and sit in there seats doing fuck all certainly deserve it.

We were set up to lose today; we were never in it, never showed any ambition and allowed Leicester to find space all over the pitch. Rafa is playing games, we’re going down at the moment, Rafa’s parting gift may be to rid us of Ashley at the cost of going down. I’m fine with that but it’s bloody awful to watch.

How Atsu stayed on for 90 minutes I’ll never know, swapping Gayle for Rondon looks utter madness just now. Rafa has to give the match going fans something to hold on to. Today was desperate.

The only people calling for Rafa to go are the same people who were calling for him to go since day one. The thing about bad runs and performances is that it gives these people an opportunity to raise their heads.

There is a difference between not liking one of his subs and wanting him out. 99.9% of the people there today were questioning the sub.

It's exactly why Ashley will gleefully keep him on, not give him the  resources he needs and hope he either walks or the fans and media turn on him.