Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

In a twisted way I'm sort of looking to the day Rafa leaves.  I'm sure he has dirt on Charnley and Ashley over transfers etc .

Yeah but so what? It's not like people don't already know he's a giant cunt. It won't do anything other than make us more angry/depressed.

It might stir the silent majority out of their slumber.

It won’t.

Surely a wind-up. Even our 15/16 side featured more out-right talent than the current team, certainly now the likes of Diame, Ritchie and Perez have totally burned out and Kenedy's forgotten how to play. Sure, there was a boatload of crap and even the good ones were horribly flawed because they didn't want to fight - but we've got no one with the same ability as Wijnaldum, Sissoko, Townsend, Mitrovic or Janmaat. Probably Thauvin too if the last couple of years are anything to go by. Dubravka and one of the centre-backs are probably the only ones better 'on paper'.

11/12 and 12/13? They were on an entirely different level. There wouldn't even be a doubt about being top half if Rafa had that standard of player to choose from.

Surely a wind-up. Even our 15/16 side featured more out-right talent than the current team, certainly now the likes of Diame, Ritchie and Perez have totally burned out and Kenedy's forgotten how to play. Sure, there was a boatload of crap and even the good ones were horribly flawed because they didn't want to fight - but we've got no one with the same ability as Wijnaldum, Sissoko, Townsend, Mitrovic or Janmaat. Probably Thauvin too if the last couple of years are anything to go by. Dubravka and one of the centre-backs are probably the only ones better 'on paper'.

11/12 and 12/13? They were on an entirely different level. There wouldn't even be a doubt about being top half if Rafa had that standard of player to choose from.

Yep. Also the side from the first half of 13/14 when we were pushing the top 6, then Cabaye went and it fell to bits as well as Pardew being a twat.

Just think, hypothetically, we stay up after getting taken over, who'd you keep? For first team it's only Dubravka, Lascelles, probably Lejeune. If Kenedy was on form I'd say him too but he's been poor since Spurs. So that's 3 players who are relatively consistent at this level. :lol: I'd probably keep Yedlin, Shelvey, Ritchie and Fernandez as squad players (no idea about the other new signings because we've barely seen them), so when you think about the amount of crap in the rest of the squad, that's shocking. Cheers Mike.

Yep. Also the side from the first half of 13/14 when we were pushing the top 6, then Cabaye went and it fell to bits as well as Pardew being a twat.

Just think, hypothetically, we stay up after getting taken over, who'd you keep? For first team it's only Dubravka, Lascelles, probably Lejeune. If Kenedy was on form I'd say him too but he's been poor since Spurs. So that's 3 players who are relatively consistent at this level. :lol: I'd probably keep Yedlin, Shelvey, Ritchie and Fernandez as squad players (no idea about the other new signings because we've barely seen them), so when you think about the amount of crap in the rest of the squad, that's shocking. Cheers Mike.

Hate to be so negative but this feels like cuckoo land.

We won't be sold.

And Rafa will leave at the end of the season.

It's just a case of which division we'll be in and I honestly don't care.

Hate to be so negative but this feels like cuckoo land.

We won't be sold.

And Rafa will leave at the end of the season.

It's just a case of which division we'll be in and I honestly don't care.

"Hypothetically".

The bit in bold is massive overstatement, but it's deeply concerning that all four of these players are well off the boil. I think this is the only place Rafa can make improvements - getting our players into good form. Unfortunately, it seems he's struggling to do that (for about ten billion reasons, but struggling nonetheless).

They have burned out though, they're way below the standard they were at during our good runs earlier in the year. There's no wonder, like;  they've played out of their skin for two years and they've not been rewarded with any opportunity for progress. Even consummate professionals like the ones we've got will falter when there's fuck all to play for. Season 1: we need to get promoted. Season 2: we need to survive. There's no next step now; no intention to go further and the manager will be gone soon. We've already reached our ceiling and have now stagnated.

They have burned out though, they're way below the standard they were at during our good runs earlier in the year. There's no wonder, like;  they've played out of their skin for two years and they've not been rewarded with any opportunity for progress. Even consummate professionals like the ones we've got will falter when there's fuck all to play for. Season 1: we need to get promoted. Season 2: we need to survive. There's no next step now; no intention to go further and the manager will be gone soon. We've already reached our ceiling and have now stagnated.

I agree with most of that, but "burned out" suggested that they're completely finished as players. I certainly have hopes for Ayoze and Kenedy to perform better, and while I had been firmly in the "it's not a purple patch" camp, it's starting to looking like it was a purple patch for Diame.

They have burned out though, they're way below the standard they were at during our good runs earlier in the year. There's no wonder, like;  they've played out of their skin for two years and they've not been rewarded with any opportunity for progress. Even consummate professionals like the ones we've got will falter when there's f*** all to play for. Season 1: we need to get promoted. Season 2: we need to survive. There's no next step now; no intention to go further and the manager will be gone soon. We've already reached our ceiling and have now stagnated.

I agree with most of that, but "burned out" suggested that they're completely finished as players.

No it doesn't.

As much as Rafa has coached a few of the players on to better performances, one thing really stands out.

He’s spent over 60 million over three seasons on players that rarely play if at all. Total dross.

That’s a possible 6 x 10m players who could have come in and made a difference.

Or 3 x 20m.. even just three very decent players could have made a massive difference to this team.

I’m not even counting the free transfers who never played and but took up wage budget.

He’s bought poorly for the most part and I think this is probably the root of Ashley’s stance, or his excuse possibly for not backing him.

Sacking him will cost about 3 million (half a season) it’s not beyond the possibility that this could happen sooner than we think.

As much as Rafa has coached a few of the players on to better performances, one thing really stands out.

He’s spent over 60 million over three seasons on players that rarely play if at all. Total dross.

Or 3 x 20m.. even just three very decent players could have made a massive difference to this team.

I’m not even counting the free transfers who never played and but took up wage budget.

He’s bought poorly for the most part and I think this is probably the root of Ashley’s stance, or his excuse possibly for not backing him.

Sacking him will cost about 3 million (half a season) it’s not beyond the possibility that this could happen sooner than we think.

:anguish:

Probably the most cancerous post that's been done on here ever. Absolute cock waggon

Not many facts in that post and no mention of the signings Rafa has been allowed to make have been desperation 6th choice Charnley panic buys but it wouldn't surprise me if Big Sam is here before Christmas and TBF the happy clappers and Sports Direct United are welcome to him.

Which are the players came in on a significant fee that didn't play much, bearing in mind the need for squad numbers? The only one I can think of is Jacob Murphy and even his fee isn't that significant in today's transfer climate.

Quote me a manager who gets every single penny spent on players correct, especially on a severely restricted budget. Especially how much he could spend without interference, he doesn't even know of for planning purposes.

3 x 20m. As if Ashley would allow a signing that exceeds our transfer record, let alone 20m. Stick to FM.

Ashley would love more fans to think like you.