Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Watching Everton v Palace yesterday, it’s scary. Even the players who flattered to deceive and were basically crap are probably worth £20-40m.

To even be expected to compete in this league you need multiple £20m players in your team and ideally 1 or 2 worth £50m.

:thup: It's also how you end up in a position where £10m is spent on someone like Murphy and rather than it being viewed as a pittance for a young, British player, it's viewed as a waste of a lot of money and we're in a position where some of our fans are thinking like Ashley, completely divorced from the reality of modern day football spending.

If he ever played Murphy I would feel differently. This was someone he wanted. Who was our most expensive signing that summer.

This isn’t about agreeing with Mike Ashley. Don’t be so fucking stupid. This is about taking the rose tinted glasses off for a moment and actually seeing that Rafa has done a decent job but not amazing, certainly not in the transfer market with what he’s had to spend.

The state of the team this year is on him. The same bunch played far better last year.

One of the most clueless series of posts I've ever seen on here, fair play.

Aye. :lol: The players busted their arses last season and probably expected the squad to be improved so they together as a squad could push on. Also they all love Rafa who hasnt been given a new contract. Why bust their arse again when Rafa is currently leaving at the end of the season? The motivation the players had last year doesnt exist this time round.

"all love Rafa"?

You believe that?

I respect Rafa I really do but he has inadvertently become a shield for Ashley. I will be sad to see him go but the club and the fans needed him and Lascelles to walk last summer and they have let us down by not doing so.

Isn't it?

The facts remain the same;

- a bang average team overachieved last season in a herculean effort getting to 10th

- that team wasn't properly invested in during the summer by ashley , thus demoralizing that team and the fans

- a stupidly skewed set of opening fixtures

- a world class manager with pretty much bang average players, but now with very little to motivate them with. Last season it was clearly "let's kick on and in the summer we can regroup and invest which will improve us all" whereas now it's what exactly? "Work yourselves into the ground without question with no light at thr end if the tunnel? How can anyone motivate in that scenario?

- short sighted people who claim "it's Rafa's team" or "he bought them", totally losing sight of the restraints on him and why he had to go for those players

- more lies from the regime, including fake takeover talks and minutes not agreed by anyone in attendance

- a puzzling fan base where a vast amount don't understand short term pain (missing a match) for long term gain in order to shift the creepy fat owner

Maybe our new motto should just be "Interdictum est spe".

But I digress, the bottom line is Rafa should not and can not be blamed.

Isn't it?

The facts remain the same;

- a bang average team overachieved last season in a herculean effort getting to 10th

- that team wasn't properly invested in during the summer by ashley , thus demoralizing that team and the fans

- a stupidly skewed set of opening fixtures

- a world class manager with pretty much bang average players, but now with very little to motivate them with. Last season it was clearly "let's kick on and in the summer we can regroup and invest which will improve us all" whereas now it's what exactly? "Work yourselves into the ground without question with no light at thr end if the tunnel? How can anyone motivate in that scenario?

- short sighted people who claim "it's Rafa's team" or "he bought them", totally losing sight of the restraints on him and why he had to go for those players

- more lies from the regime, including fake takeover talks and minutes not agreed by anyone in attendance

- a puzzling fan base where a vast amount don't understand short term pain (missing a match) for long term gain in order to shift the creepy fat owner

Maybe our new motto should just be "Interdictum est spe".

But I digress, the bottom line is Rafa should not and can not be blamed.

This is exactly how i see it.

Guest reefatoon

I'd barely consider him a shield/buffer tbh. His leaving wouldn't be any sort of catalyst. Doesn't matter who's in the dugout when there's a wife to escape from.

Completely believe this too. All very demoralising when you see so many of our own fans bunkering down and refusing to try and get Ashley out. Just looks like the vast majority will not stop going no matter what. Just leaves it all a little pointless and demoralising. Got to the point for me where i just don't give a toss anymore if he stays or goes. Just feels like nothing will work when so many people are willing to camp out on Ashley's side (even when they don't realise that is what they are doing), keep handing him money and going, all because of some blind, blinkered loyalty they think they should be showing.

I'd barely consider him a shield/buffer tbh. His leaving wouldn't be any sort of catalyst. Doesn't matter who's in the dugout when there's a wife to escape from.

Completely believe this too. All very demoralising when you see so many of our own fans bunkering down and refusing to try and get Ashley out. Just looks like the vast majority will not stop going no matter what. Just leaves it all a little pointless and demoralising. Got to the point for me where i just don't give a toss anymore if he stays or goes. Just feels like nothing will work when so many people are willing to camp out on Ashley's side (even when they don't realise that is what they are doing), keep handing him money and going, all because of some blind, blinkered loyalty they think they should be showing.

This is how i am starting to feel tbh, i just don't feel that there are enough people willing to sacrifice their own pleasure (arf) of going to the game to try and get rid of Ashley, i am totally demoralised at this point.

Too many zombie supporters that Ashley relies on, fucking sick of it.

Guest reefatoon

This is how i am starting to feel tbh, i just don't feel that there are enough people willing to sacrifice their own pleasure (arf) of going to the game to try and get rid of Ashley, i am totally demoralised at this point.

Too many zombie supporters that Ashley relies on, fucking sick of it.

Yep agreed. Massive credit to the fans standing up and trying to make a difference, they are doing an amazing job, but like you say, the odds are just so against them, as the majority of people seem to be completely against and kind of demonstration (like that fan telling someone to sit down and support the team, sorry can't remember who posted that). But that really is the stamp of the Newcastle fan that goes to the match now and what people trying to make a difference are coming up against.

We’ve had no luck at all this season too;

Spurs – hit the woodwork twice, Kenedy’s touch when clean through and if (clutching straws!) goal line technology wasn’t used then there is no way their first would have been awarded!

Cardiff – missed a last minute pen

Chelsea – very debatable pen

Man Utd – denied a blatant pen when we were 2-0 up

Brighton – their goal came via a corner that was a goal kick

Lejeune and Rondon will make a huge difference when fit

Arguably we've only had one real piece of luck this season, the Cardiff pen that was outside the box.

Ultimately I agree that this season will grimly come down to whether we can come out of dour games against poor opposition on the right side of a 1-0. I also agree with the posts above that since we did not kick on in the summer even with the TV money and chunks of the Sissoko and Mitro money coming in, there is no hope left. Fatty simply doesn't care. It would not be surprising for this to translate to less effort from the players on the pitch.

It's mad how little people acknowledge the impact of momentum and confidence.

When Keegan was here, that was his stock-in-trade - and he knew he needed to be backed to achieve it.

He also knew that the players had to be playing for something, not just survival. I don't think enough has been made of this, it puts a spring in a player's step when he's aiming for titles or Europe.

Because Rafa is well liked all objectivity is lost in relation to how well he’s doing his job.

Pardew (although he never piped up about it) was fucked around by Mike Ashley just as much in transfer windows. (Bar one or two windows when we did ok)

Because we hated him, we were always able to put that aside and criticise his performance as a manager after the window had shut.

Can’t say a bad word about Rafa or people lose their shit.

Because Rafa is well liked all objectivity is lost in relation to how well he’s doing his job.

Pardew (although he never piped up about it) was fucked around by Mike Ashley just as much in transfer windows. (Bar one or two windows when we did ok)

Because we hated him, we were always able to put that aside and criticise his performance as a manager after the window had shut.

Comparing an Ashley bootlicker who sleeps with his player's wife and has no qualms berating the fanbase against an established manager who oozes class and is able to engage the community and give renewed hope. Where have you been if you have no idea why Pardew is hated?

Nobody is saying that Benitez is perfect but your points on transfers (3 x 20m players, no need for squad depth, less than perfect record on cheap 5, 6m signings) as a stick are just stupid and rightly ridiculed by many on here.

Go on, dig a bigger hole.

Guest firetotheworks

It could just be that you're talking relentless nonsense like.

Rafa's well liked because he's proven to be a good manager. He got us promoted, got us to 10th, with a team that in the eyes of many has the least amount of ability in living memory, and yes, because he 'gets it' and does work in the community.

Pardew's hated because he proved to be a bad manager, but he wasn't universally hated on here until about January 2013 and he joined in December 2010. No one hated him during 2011-12 did they?

Also, Rafa's been fucked around and had to stay in the Premier League with a team that was built to win the Championship.

Whereas Pardew was 'fucked around' and had internationals like Ben Arfa, Remy, Ba, Cisse, Cabaye, Tiote, Debuchy, Coloccini, Santon, and Sissoko handed to him on a silver platter.

I don't know why this keeps needing to be explained to people, but it's such a fucking idiotic point it's unreal. This whole idea that people won't criticise Rafa because it's a cult, or because people are unable to be objective or something just makes you look stupid. The comparison with Pardew even more so.