Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Away form is fine, we consistently pick up points and can sit deep and play on the counter.

We need to change something at home though. We need to beat the shite at home to stay up, and playing like this isn't going to cut it.

We all love the thought of Rafa and his pedigree, but it is all absolutely pointless with the watered down handicapped version we have. It’s not enjoyable for anyone on any sort of level. The football is as bad and dull as the shit churned out by prior twats like fat Sam and Souness but we all hang in hope that it’s Rafa and we will be ok. But what’s the point of having him when he can’t remotely do his job to the best of his ability. What it has resorted to is the dullest football we have had to witness in god knows how long. Starting to think we would be better off with some other duffer as at least then we would know we would be shit and not hoping for more. Like hoying a boxer in the ring with his arms tied behind his back. He needs to go so we can get back to being furious at the shit that is churned up.

Agree with this, there is no excuse for the abhorrent football we play even if the players are shit. Pay Howe 6million a year and we'd be more entertaining and more successful. Rafa staying here is a huge problem on so many levels now.

Guest chopey

This man went from one of the greatest comebacks of all times in the champions league final against an A.C Milan side packed with football legends to scrapping a draw at home to a team managed by Tony Mowbray and lead by Danny Graham.

Aye makes you wonder what the fuck he is still doing here.

Away form is fine, we consistently pick up points and can sit deep and play on the counter.

We need to change something at home though. We need to beat the shite at home to stay up, and playing like this isn't going to cut it.

How would you set this team up to take the initiative to teams? Please enlighten us all if you don't mind.

We look to invite teams onto us and then capitalise on the counter all the time, because that is how we are most effective.

At home teams aren't looking to attack us as much and so it doesn't work the same way.

At this point I am desperately hoping Rafa leaves or gets fired, and we get in someone that sets this team up to play on the "front foot", which is the answer to all our ills apparently.

Then we'll see how things turn out. Maybe that will show people some sense.

We really do deserve the wretched managers we have been cursed with in recent years.

We need to change something at home though. We need to beat the s**** at home to stay up, and playing like this isn't going to cut it.

How would you set this team up to take the initiative to teams? Please enlighten us all if you don't mind.

We look to invite teams onto us and then capitalise on the counter all the time, because that is how we are most effective.

At home teams aren't looking to attack us as much and so it doesn't work the same way.

At this point I am desperately hoping Rafa leaves or gets fired, and we get in someone that sets this team up to play on the "front foot", which is the answer to all our ills apparently.

We really do deserve the wretched managers we have been cursed with in recent years.

Wow.

Guest reefatoon

Most effective? You do realise we have only won twice all season at home don’t you? Our home form pretty much proves that the style of play we endure is anything but effective.

We need to change something at home though. We need to beat the s**** at home to stay up, and playing like this isn't going to cut it.

Wow.

"Welcome to the Jungle" started playing outta nowhere as I was reading that :lol:

Inviting the pressure on is how we are most effective when we're away I agree. But when its not working as well at home then don't use the same tactics at home. Push up a bit further, press the other team a bit more, get people up around Rondon for breaks, we don't have to go gung ho but we need to be a bit more ambitious than we are now when at home

Inviting the pressure on is how we are most effective when we're away I agree. But when its not working as well at home then don't use the same tactics at home. Push up a bit further, press the other team a bit more, get people up around Rondon for breaks, we don't have to go gung ho but we need to be a bit more ambitious than we are now when at home

That all sounds great, and I am pretty certain the manager we have is professional enough and knowledgeable enough to know that.

He is working with these players everyday on the training pitch, and so there has to be a reason he is not going with that approach.

Personally, I have not seen anything from the players we have to make me feel as though they can play the way you have described.

Now if we had the team we had with Cisse, Ba, Ben Arfa, Cabaye and Tiote and we were playing the way we are under Rafa, then I'd be perplexed, and would agree with you wholeheartedly.

For me I just don't see it with our current players. I think they'd be a disaster setup like that.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that if you feel differently.

Fulham came into the season playing that way and were getting blasted. Conceding a ton of goals and sitting at the bottom of the league. I'm pretty confident they have a better squad than ours.

People will say we have much better defenders, but I wouldn't even be so sure. I think it appears that way because we have been so well organised to defend first.

That all sounds great, and I am pretty certain the manager we have is professional enough and knowledgeable enough to know that.

He is working with these players everyday on the training pitch, and so there has to be a reason he is not going with that approach.

Personally, I have not seen anything from the players we have to make me feel as though they can play the way you have described.

Now if we had the team we had with Cisse, Ba, Ben Arfa, Cabaye and Tiote and we were playing the way we are under Rafa, then I'd be perplexed, and would agree with you wholeheartedly.

For me I just don't see it with our current players. I think they'd be a disaster setup like that.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that if you feel differently.

Fulham came into the season playing that way and were getting blasted. Conceding a ton of goals and sitting at the bottom of the league. I'm pretty confident they have a better squad than ours.

People will say we have much better defenders, but I wouldn't even be so sure. I think it appears that way because we have been so well organised to defend first.

I just said not to go gung ho but to be a bit more ambitious. I don't want us to play like Fulham did at the start of the season. Read ffs.

Absolutely any team can play in the way I just described, push up a bit, press a bit more, get more bodies around the striker, its the most basic stuff in the world

Okay, fair enough. Difference of opinion.

I think we'd get opened up so easily if we tried to press in any fashion.

We'd have to use a very different set of players if we were to press. Shelvey and Ki wouldn't feature in such a team IMO. This would then severely hamper our play going forward.

I just think the team is a mess.

what the hell was rafa meant to do today? ok the subs could have possibly been made 10 minutes or so earlier.

but otherwise the starting 11 should have been good enough to beat a mid-table champo team.

the likes of rondon, yedlin, dummett couldnt have been risked as we have absolutely no back-up in their positions in case of injury.

and who else should have played?

rafa would never have thought 2 and a half seasons later he still would largely have the same playing squad.

Most basic stuff in the world :lol:

Like KaKa said we simply dont have players to play a high line and press. That's actually even more basic.

Tbf Triggs didn't say that, he said push up a little more, he didn't mention a high line, press a bit more and get more bodies around the striker. Not too unobtainable is it really, taking a little risk maybe ?

Guest reefatoon

He could have not went with Joselu upfront on his own for 80 minutes against a shit championship team. Brought another forward on and we made it count pretty much straight away.

Like KaKa said we simply dont have players to play a high line and press. That's actually even more basic.

Not a high line, higher line. More pressing, not gegenpressing. Getting more players forward, not all 11 rushing forward. Its basic as it comes, anyone can do it.

Do you both think we are playing in the absolute best way we can in our home games?

Tbf Triggs didn't say that, he said push up a little more, he didn't mention a high line, press a bit more and get more bodies around the striker. Not to unobtainable is it really, taking a little risk maybe ?

As you said earlier, any mention of doing anything slightly more adventurous = I want everybody to go forward and to completely forget about defending, on here.

Tbf Triggs didn't say that, he said push up a little more, he didn't mention a high line, press a bit more and get more bodies around the striker. Not to unobtainable is it really, taking a little risk maybe ?

As you said earlier, any mention of doing anything slightly more adventurous = I want everybody to go forward and to completely forget about defending, on here.

Aye, there can be no middle ground, drives me nuts.