Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

In the first half of the Championship season two years ago when we weren't doing too well Rafa was heavily criticized for being too negative especially at home. He refused to change anything and then publicly stated that he viewed it as important to establish a system at this club that all the players know off by heart, and to stick with that system instead of chopping and changing it (like a McClaren or Pardew would do). Come the end of the Championship season it turned out to be a walk in the park and he was proved to be right, and of course those criticizing him went a bit silent.

In the first half of last season, the same thing happened. We're struggling, our players look terrible and unable to match other PL sides, Rafa is refusing to change things, so some fans are on his back calling him shit and that he needs to be sacked. Yet again Rafa sticks to his guns, believes in the system getting the necessary results in spite of working with sub-standard players, and yet again turns out Rafa made the correct choice in sticking with the system he has faith in.

This season is probably going to be the third season in a row where this happens. The risk of this system/defensive mentality not working is greater this year because it's now the 4th successive transfer window where Rafa has been seriously screwed over and all other teams have had two summer windows where they've spent alot of money to improve their first team, which is a huge advantage. As frustrating as it is to see defensive football at home even in the FA Cup against in a lower league, I fully understand why Rafa is stubbornly sticking to his this system - he believes this system will get us over the line in terms of our most important objective, as it did in the past two seasons.

Spot on. But too many people here are pants wetters who use their primitive brain to 'think'!

Aye, on the 12th May he'll put his glasses in one pocket and from another pull out his resignation letter and hand it to Ashley in the stands, Pascal Chimbonda style.

He doesn't need to resign, he'll be out of contract

Guest Howaythetoon

In the first half of the Championship season two years ago when we weren't doing too well Rafa was heavily criticized for being too negative especially at home. He refused to change anything and then publicly stated that he viewed it as important to establish a system at this club that all the players know off by heart, and to stick with that system instead of chopping and changing it (like a McClaren or Pardew would do). Come the end of the Championship season it turned out to be a walk in the park and he was proved to be right, and of course those criticizing him went a bit silent.

In the first half of last season, the same thing happened. We're struggling, our players look terrible and unable to match other PL sides, Rafa is refusing to change things, so some fans are on his back calling him shit and that he needs to be sacked. Yet again Rafa sticks to his guns, believes in the system getting the necessary results in spite of working with sub-standard players, and yet again turns out Rafa made the correct choice in sticking with the system he has faith in.

This season is probably going to be the third season in a row where this happens. The risk of this system/defensive mentality not working is greater this year because it's now the 4th successive transfer window where Rafa has been seriously screwed over and all other teams have had two summer windows where they've spent alot of money to improve their first team, which is a huge advantage. As frustrating as it is to see defensive football at home even in the FA Cup against in a lower league, I fully understand why Rafa is stubbornly sticking to his this system - he believes this system will get us over the line in terms of our most important objective, as it did in the past two seasons.

Bang on the money, great post.

I remember when we went down he mentioned more than once in a few interviews and articles that historically since he entered management NUFC were always defensively week and that area was an area that cannot continue even in the Championship and that he would, as you have correctly pointed out, address, fix and grow the team from.

It took us up, kept us up and will be the main reason behind us staying up again this season if we do. Going forward should Rafa stay and be given sufficient funds to improve the midfield and attack we will deviate from how we play, but defensively the team will always have solid foundations in that area which we will always need, moreso to ever be successful.

Rafa’s entire success has come from his philosophy that his team and players must be able to defend on and off the ball first because as much as goals win you games (KK), clean sheets mean you can’t lose and for us right now we will lose less games than we will win and every point counts.

The same shitty budget bought Dubs, Lejeune, Fernandez, Yedlin, Ki Schar (jury still out I reckon), Ritchie-ish who I would describe as Premiership players. Then there's Diame, Atsu, Clark, Hayden, Lazaar, Manquillo. Joselu etc who I think aren't good enough. Murphy needs game time and confidence, still think there's a player there, same for Muto.

The 2nd lot in the main were bought for getting us out of the Championship, with Rafa thinking he could rebuild again with the money we would get from promotion, yet since that promotion he's been stiffed with no proper budget. Selling hasn't even generated money as the club come out with the bullshit about staggered incoming payments, yet never answer why we don't buy in same way, buying guaranteed against those incoming payments.

Aye he's bought some s**** with his limited budget, and hindsight would identify another player for the same money who's shown more for another team but I don't blame him for that, it's hit and miss with budget he has had. I don't think he is faultless at times, for instance I think he reacts too late with his subs sometimes. But I hate the way any tad of criticism like that is pounced on by some on here, obviously some go overboard saying it's all his fault, I just treat that with the contempt it deserves.

Anyhoo I'm just a tit on a keyboard and he's a world class manager and a better man than I'll ever be, and he knows more than any of us will ever know. I just hope he stays, somehow.

Look at the players he was forced to sell and you get some idea of what he is dealing with. Sissoko, Townsend and Wijnaldum. I know many of our fans were cock-a-hoop when we sold Sissoko and Wijnaldum, but they have done better out of it than us.

I felt the same as most others when they were sold - we were getting an excellent price for them, but we knew the money would be pocketed by the FCB and not spent on other transfers.

We got rid of some overrated mercenaries, and replaced them with dog-s*** no-marks.

If the club was run to succeed rather than turn a profit, we could have built up the core of a very good squad for the money we got for Sissoko and Wijnaldum.  Instead, we are left with by far the weakest squad since before KK took over, and it's painful.

Clubs not even run well for a profit. It's run to promote SD.

The same shitty budget bought Dubs, Lejeune, Fernandez, Yedlin, Ki Schar (jury still out I reckon), Ritchie-ish who I would describe as Premiership players. Then there's Diame, Atsu, Clark, Hayden, Lazaar, Manquillo. Joselu etc who I think aren't good enough. Murphy needs game time and confidence, still think there's a player there, same for Muto.

The 2nd lot in the main were bought for getting us out of the Championship, with Rafa thinking he could rebuild again with the money we would get from promotion, yet since that promotion he's been stiffed with no proper budget. Selling hasn't even generated money as the club come out with the bullshit about staggered incoming payments, yet never answer why we don't buy in same way, buying guaranteed against those incoming payments.

Aye he's bought some s**** with his limited budget, and hindsight would identify another player for the same money who's shown more for another team but I don't blame him for that, it's hit and miss with budget he has had. I don't think he is faultless at times, for instance I think he reacts too late with his subs sometimes. But I hate the way any tad of criticism like that is pounced on by some on here, obviously some go overboard saying it's all his fault, I just treat that with the contempt it deserves.

Anyhoo I'm just a tit on a keyboard and he's a world class manager and a better man than I'll ever be, and he knows more than any of us will ever know. I just hope he stays, somehow.

Look at the players he was forced to sell and you get some idea of what he is dealing with. Sissoko, Townsend and Wijnaldum. I know many of our fans were cock-a-hoop when we sold Sissoko and Wijnaldum, but they have done better out of it than us.

I felt the same as most others when they were sold - we were getting an excellent price for them, but we knew the money would be pocketed by the FCB and not spent on other transfers.

We got rid of some overrated mercenaries, and replaced them with dog-s*** no-marks.

If the club was run to succeed rather than turn a profit, we could have built up the core of a very good squad for the money we got for Sissoko and Wijnaldum.  Instead, we are left with by far the weakest squad since before KK took over, and it's painful.

Clubs not even run well for a profit. It's run to promote SD.

Would just love Rafa to go completely rogue and go around the stadium, pointing at literally everything and saying 'How does this benefit Newcastle United?' - from the dirty stadium, to the dead pigeons, to the SD advertising everywhere.

Hope he sings like a canary about what's gone on as soon as his contract ends. Should be the final straw for many that haven't decided to chuck it next season.

won't make a difference if he does.

keegan took them to court and it all came out in the public domain.

but neither the supafans nor the media remember.

Guest chopey

There was a "fan" on ITV North East news tonight that typified our current support, "somewhere to go on a Saturday afternoon, spend time with mates and even if we are not that good at least one of the two teams will be"

Guest neesy111

There was a "fan" on ITV North East news tonight that typified our current support, "somewhere to go on a Saturday afternoon, spend time with mates and even if we are not that good at least one of the two teams will be"

:anguish:

Guest firetotheworks

That's a prime example of one of the Wongaloids we've been going on about for years, yet still people get immediately defensive and assume we're on about someone depicted in a Hovis advert. They're plastics. At any club we'd call them what they are.

Absolute cuck mentality, enjoying watching someone else smash the shit out of what you propose to love.