Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Guest godzilla

So Essentially they’ve had over a month to find a new manager

More like 6 or 7 weeks to be precise

Seems a bit of a contradiction to what was reported last week. According to this Rafa told the club a few days after the original meeting

[ftp=ftp://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7220445/Rafa-Benitez-reveals-told-Newcastle-bosses-leaving-meeting.html?fbclid=IwAR1nAWHbCRREViFLzyMxbqtxD_4kpymO_vUDI43k28T9IV6L5LRdi3740k4]https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7220445/Rafa-Benitez-reveals-told-Newcastle-bosses-leaving-meeting.html?fbclid=IwAR1nAWHbCRREViFLzyMxbqtxD_4kpymO_vUDI43k28T9IV6L5LRdi3740k4[/ftp]

That article also explains why Benitez oddly turned up at the training ground weeks before pre season began yet Keith Downie said at the time it was just a normal day at the office.  :rolleyes:

Think everyone knew that he was clearing his desk, the article certainly contradicts what the previously reported timeline for when Rafa stating he was leaving. It's his words also so the club has known for 6 or 7 weeks

I remember someone on here saying he was at the training ground and seemed in a bad mood, i joked that he had just seen Gail's baps, now we know :(

Seems a bit of a contradiction to what was reported last week. According to this Rafa told the club a few days after the original meeting

[ftp=ftp://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7220445/Rafa-Benitez-reveals-told-Newcastle-bosses-leaving-meeting.html?fbclid=IwAR1nAWHbCRREViFLzyMxbqtxD_4kpymO_vUDI43k28T9IV6L5LRdi3740k4]https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7220445/Rafa-Benitez-reveals-told-Newcastle-bosses-leaving-meeting.html?fbclid=IwAR1nAWHbCRREViFLzyMxbqtxD_4kpymO_vUDI43k28T9IV6L5LRdi3740k4[/ftp]

That article also explains why Benitez oddly turned up at the training ground weeks before pre season began yet Keith Downie said at the time it was just a normal day at the office.  :rolleyes:

It really does prove they either get fed false info or they know fuck all

I remember reading in the Chronicle before Benitez had his meeting with Ashley that Ashley felt offering Benitez the chance to manage in the Premier League was a good offer and would be good enough to convince him to sign a new contract. The club is so arrogant that they probably thought with no jobs in the Premier League available for Benitez that he would he stay the closer it got to his contract expiring. Either that or the club is incompetent for not giving Benitez a deadline until the end of May to make his decision so as to give them plenty of time to look for a replacement.

I remember reading in the Chronicle before Benitez had his meeting with Ashley that Ashley felt offering Benitez the chance to manage in the Premier League was a good offer and would be good enough to convince him to sign a new contract. The club is so arrogant that they probably thought with no jobs in the Premier League available for Benitez that he would he stay the closer it got to his contract expiring. Either that or the club is incompetent for not giving Benitez a deadline until the end of May to make his decision so as to give them plenty of time to look for a replacement.

"I remember reading in the chronicle' ffs :lol:

Two bits of info, read into it as you may.

Rafa agreed that deal with the Chinese team nearly two months ago. He was never staying once he had the meeting with Ashley.

Charnley is not flavour of the month with those above.

first bit confirmed in the Mail today.

Suppose you can look at two ways really. They've used the takeover as a smoke screen following it being apparent Rafa was leaving or they haven't appointed a manager for nearly 2 months because there's a takeover in progress. Either way, what a fucking carry on.

Guest Gonzo

Two bits of info, read into it as you may.

Rafa agreed that deal with the Chinese team nearly two months ago. He was never staying once he had the meeting with Ashley.

Charnley is not flavour of the month with those above.

first bit confirmed in the Mail today.

I’d been led to believe that he made the decision and just let his contract run down. While that’s essentially what happened, we know now that the club knew too.

Just raises so many questions. Was it all down to Charnley? Did he sit on that info and not tell Barnes or Ashley for the guts of two months.

Or did they all know and just hoped a sale would be complete by now?

Guest Gonzo

So apparently Rafa asked for 8m a year potentially rising to 9.5m with bonuses. Where would that have put him in comparison with other managers in the Premier league?

Higher than most but less than Pep and Klopp and whatever Mourinho would earn. On a par with Pochettino and whatever Chelsea pay.

Worth every penny considering the budgets the other guys have to work with.

So apparently Rafa asked for 8m a year potentially rising to 9.5m with bonuses. Where would that have put him in comparison with other managers in the Premier league?

Higher than most but less than Pep and Klopp and whatever Mourinho would earn. On a par with Pochettino and whatever Chelsea pay.

Worth every penny considering the budgets the other guys have to work with.

And rightly so Rafa Benitez has won the 2nd most trophies of all the managers in the Premier League only behind Pep Guardiola.

More than Sarri, Poch, Pellegrini combined.

We were lucky that he even considered staying.

Guest Gonzo

I’m not going to lie, I feel a bit differently about the situation than I did a week ago. I don’t blame him for leaving but none of them come out of this looking good. As always it’s the supporters who suffer.

He knew the club would be fucked after he left without a succession plan. He could have put them on the spot and spoke out but he said nothing.

As far as I know it’s not a breach of contract to say you’ll be leaving when your deal ends?

I’m not going to lie, I feel a bit differently about the situation than I did a week ago. I don’t blame him for leaving but none of them come out of this looking good. As always it’s the supporters who suffer.

He knew the club would be f***ed after he left without a succession plan. He could have put them on the spot and spoke out but he said nothing.

As far as I know it’s not a breach of contract to say you’ll be leaving when your deal ends?

He told them he wasn't going to accept their offer, in what way is that saying nothing?

Any succession plan was up got them to sort out.

Even nufc.com are waking from their slumber

Rafa revelation 

Speaking to The Mail on Sunday, Rafa Benitez has claimed that within days of last season ending, any realistic chance of him extending his SJP contract was over - and that the club were fully aware of that.

To have made no new managerial appointment almost eight weeks after that simply beggars belief, regardless of the status of any proposed takeover.

If business like the sale of Ayoze Perez that has a bearing on the future of the club can continue, then surely a manager can be appointed to maintain the viability and value of it for whoever the owner is?

Benitez voiced his concern about the snail-like pace that the club moved at when striking deals; there's a certain irony in the fact that the same trait is evident when it comes to finding his own replacement.

He knew the club would be fucked after he left without a succession plan. He could have put them on the spot and spoke out but he said nothing.

Rafa will never be the bad guy in my eyes. Yes, he might use politics to get what he wanted but I will always believe it was for the best intentions of the team and the club. He just wanted to make the club a success and ultimately tried to do what he felt he needed to because he knew he was working with a bunch of utter cunts.

Seems weird he was surprised the club made the announcement a couple of weeks ago?

My take was he was surprised that they broke it without even an email or call that they would be doing it on that day. It’s just a common curtesy right?