Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Think sometimes we sit to back in order to protect, then we can't get it back out because we have no outlet. If we're going to play the defence and midfield so close together, we need Murphy or Kenedy available to run it out. With Atsu and Ritchie as the wingers yesterday, we can't run it clear, and Gayle offers nothing as an outlet, and Joselu only ever looks to lay it off, rather than protect it for himself, usually ending up just giving it to a nearby defender.

It was bad like. I can barely remember us stringing more than 2- 3 passes together at a time.

Gayle and Perez are just not Premier League quality. I'd rather see Murphy given a shot up top if we are playing Ritchie on the right.

Barely anyone in our team is Premier league quality. It would probably go a long way to explaining why we can't string two passes together if you look at it objectively.

Don’t buy this and frankly sick of hearing people trot out their trite, half thought through, assertions. Make a f***ing list of the first team players who ‘graced’ the PL this weekend. Is our squad  really qualitatively different? Fundamentally less  than? Cast your mind back to Wednesday, to Swansea, to Stoke. To the eight games we have lost by a single goal. To the seven we’ve drawn and had chances to win. It is f***ing tough to take like, but newsflash, you’re deluded if you think any positive is Rafa’s genius and any negative is down to our players. They did a f***ing sterling job today. If you stick all the time you rarely win the low probability games. If you twist too much you lose more than you should., but win some you shouldn’t. We’ve got three points from half a dozen winnable home games. If I was the manager, I’d be looking in the mirror, not belittling the players. Rafa will be doing similar. Hope it doesn’t matter come season end.

Make a list of our PL quality players then......Lascelles, Merino, Shelvey sometimes.......then who??

Lascelles is probably it. Cabaye would still improve us imo even if he's not the same player as 5 years ago. He made runs into the box yesterday that we don't get from Shelvey. Merino over McArthur probably.

And yet people still seem to think Rafa is underperforming with this squad. It's baffling! 3 PL quality players maximum

How many of our players get into the Palace first team, realistically?

Shelvey?

Lascelles?

Merino?

Only Lascelles.

They're an established PL team, with much better players than us on the back of them spending a small fortune over the last 3-4 years. They are also one of the form sides in the league.

A draw there with our players was a great result, yet social media is full of people whingeing like utter fannies because we didn't win.

How many of our players get into the Palace first team, realistically?

Shelvey?

Lascelles?

Merino?

Only Lascelles.

They're an established PL team, with much better players than us on the back of them spending a small fortune over the last 3-4 years. They are also one of the form sides in the league.

A draw there with our players was a great result, yet social media is full of people whingeing like utter fannies because we didn't win.

:thup:

It was bad like. I can barely remember us stringing more than 2- 3 passes together at a time.

Gayle and Perez are just not Premier League quality. I'd rather see Murphy given a shot up top if we are playing Ritchie on the right.

Barely anyone in our team is Premier league quality. It would probably go a long way to explaining why we can't string two passes together if you look at it objectively.

Don’t buy this and frankly sick of hearing people trot out their trite, half thought through, assertions. Make a f***ing list of the first team players who ‘graced’ the PL this weekend. Is our squad  really qualitatively different? Fundamentally less  than? Cast your mind back to Wednesday, to Swansea, to Stoke. To the eight games we have lost by a single goal. To the seven we’ve drawn and had chances to win. It is f***ing tough to take like, but newsflash, you’re deluded if you think any positive is Rafa’s genius and any negative is down to our players. They did a f***ing sterling job today. If you stick all the time you rarely win the low probability games. If you twist too much you lose more than you should., but win some you shouldn’t. We’ve got three points from half a dozen winnable home games. If I was the manager, I’d be looking in the mirror, not belittling the players. Rafa will be doing similar. Hope it doesn’t matter come season end.

Make a list of our PL quality players then......Lascelles, Merino, Shelvey sometimes.......then who??

Watching the Liverpool vs Spurs game was an education, there's a reason those sides can pass the ball well, they have good players who are comfortable on the ball, and that's what they pay top money for. We try to pass it, but generally we lose possession too easily because our players aren't Premier league quality. It makes a difference. Just look at the impact having one player on loan from Chelsea has made to our left side.

Around the 75th minute I started counting how many Newcastle players touched the ball before they lost it, so not sure when it really kicked in after the penalty. However, it took 6 minutes before we managed to retain the ball between more than two players before fumbling it over to a Palace player. Got a bit bored after that so stopped counting.  :milner:

I love the assumption that we're just going to be better than another team for most of the game. Particularly when the squad is like this. We were playing a better team than us with superior players and away from home. The fact we're giving ourselves even a chance of winning games like this is testimony to Benitez.

A team with Benteke, Townsend, Zaha and Cabaye should be ripping us apart.

Absolutely spot on. Winds me up no end when people in the pub are howling at the telly in frustration because we're not dominating from start to finish.

The best teams in the world have spells in games when they're not on top. And we're shite.

I dread to think where this team would be under a manager like McClaren, Pardew or Carver - probably already down.

It's definitely not as simple as just "it's down to poor players" like, Nut. Even when we finished 5th and had Ba, Cisse, HBA, Cabaye, peak Tiote etc. we were a 45 minute team then. Seems to be just a NUFC-philosophy thing.

It's definitely not as simple as just "it's down to poor players" like, Nut. Even when we finished 5th and had Ba, Cisse, HBA, Cabaye, peak Tiote etc. we were a 45 minute team then. Seems to be just a NUFC-philosophy thing.

Yes, but Pardew.....

What is this NUFC philosophy then? To allow the opposition to boss us after the first 45 mins? Why would we make that a philosophy?

For every Ba, Ben Arfa and Cabaye, there was a Williamson, Simpson and Perch.

What is this NUFC philosophy then? To allow the opposition to boss us after the first 45 mins? Why would we make that a philosophy?

It must clearly be an every fucking other team thing then because if we're a 45 minute team then all the teams we play against must also be a 45 minute team.

I'm not really buying that tbh, ON.  Up until we scored it was back and forth and then we just seemed to collapse back into our own half.

Nothing to do with £80-90m worth of players coming out and having a go at our £10m defence then.

They also brought on a £26 million central defender at half time. We didn't have a shot after that.

It must clearly be an every fucking other team thing then because if we're a 45 minute team then all the teams we play against must also be a 45 minute team.

:lol: Touché

I think fans don't like to see us sit back, and to be fair, it might be easier to play passing football if we pressed higher up the pitch in numbers. It's not as simple as that though, it would obviously make us a lot more open to being hit on the counter, and our worst run of results came when we did go for it earlier this year with two strikers. Even if we play a defensive formation we should still be able to pass the ball better when we have it. It is down to bad players IMO.

We've always been shite with a 1-0 lead in the second half like. Backs to the wall type stuff. Only in the past we've some counter threat so we might nick a goal. This season we dont and we just get hemmed in.

Very true. Atsu provided much less than Kenedy for example when he came on. Gayle was invisible all match. With them providing the pace you would expect a lot more from them when we do break.