Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Guest Howaythetoon

For the good of the club long-term, Rafa has to go.

Doesn't this depend on what you think the effect will be though? For example, a scenario where Rafa stays on a bargain basement basis for the next 5 years might be preferable to one where he leaves, Ashley still won't sell up and we end up limping around the middle of the Championship with Alan Curbishly as manager. 

Hopefully the effect would be to spur on fans and Ashley sells, obviously. But I can't help thinking that's a bit wishful.

Rafa staying on to keep the team in the division and plodding along in mid-table is no different to someone like Pardew doing it in reality, although Rafa is of course a decent human being.

For Newcastle United to grow it requires people like Rafa in many areas of the club from the boardroom to scouting to corporate. It’s no good having someone like Rafa in the dugout if you have the likes of Barnes and Charnley in the boardroom or Beardsley in charge of the development team.

As things stand and will continue to be the case as long as Ashley owns us, the club is entirely dependant on one man being good at his job, the manager. That has brought the club back up and kept us up, but the club has been neglected so much in the last 11 years it almost needs a comple overhaul, and that’s not even considering the playing squad.

Scouting for example... we have no network and it’s Rafa’s own extensive database that he has to work from. There is no-one feeding his database or going out on his behalf looking for players, though. It’s all him and his tiny backroom team.

At boardroom level you have someone in Charnley who wouldn’t get into the boardroom of some companies with a 250k a year turnover never mind 100m plus.

Ashley releasing some extra funds for players, jet washing stadium walls, taking the players out for a meal or on holiday, going to games and having the training ground walls painted or pitches relaid won’t make up the huge gulf in class that exists between our club off the pitch compared to our rivals, not only at this level but below too with some Championship clubs having better facilities than we do, more extensive scouting networks, better acadamies and better commercial deals.

Nothing will change until the owner changes and he won’t change so we need a change in ownership full stop, regardless of who our manager is.

Rafa staying may keep the masses happy, but not me and despite what I’ve said about him being content, he will always agitate for more and never be fully happy, not when he goes to this stadium or that stadium and sees the facilities compared to our own or when players are joining other clubs because we won’t pay the going rate for wages. He will eventually demand more and so should we.

Rafa is just the manager, he’s not the club and we should not accept being owned by Ashley just because Rafa is the manager. We should always protest his ownership and continue to challenge him to sell up at all times.

This latest stunt of turning up to games and taking the players out for a meal is just an attempt to turn the masses against the protesters or to keep them from joining the protestors who will put up with just about anything while Rafa remains in the dugout.

Not this skinny guinea!

Ashley Out

Even if that means adios Rafa...

For the good of the club long-term, Rafa has to go.

Doesn't this depend on what you think the effect will be though? For example, a scenario where Rafa stays on a bargain basement basis for the next 5 years might be preferable to one where he leaves, Ashley still won't sell up and we end up limping around the middle of the Championship with Alan Curbishly as manager. 

Hopefully the effect would be to spur on fans and Ashley sells, obviously. But I can't help thinking that's a bit wishful.

Rafa staying on to keep the team in the division and plodding along in mid-table is no different to someone like Pardew doing it in reality, although Rafa is of course a decent human being.

For Newcastle United to grow it requires people like Rafa in many areas of the club from the boardroom to scouting to corporate. It’s no good having someone like Rafa in the dugout if you have the likes of Barnes and Charnley in the boardroom or Beardsley in charge of the development team.

As things stand and will continue to be the case as long as Ashley owns us, the club is entirely dependant on one man being good at his job, the manager. That has brought the club back up and kept us up, but the club has been neglected so much in the last 11 years it almost needs a comple overhaul, and that’s not even considering the playing squad.

Scouting for example... we have no network and it’s Rafa’s own extensive database that he has to work from. There is no-one feeding his database or going out on his behalf looking for players, though. It’s all him and his tiny backroom team.

At boardroom level you have someone in Charnley who wouldn’t get into the boardroom of some companies with a 250k a year turnover never mind 100m plus.

Ashley releasing some extra funds for players, jet washing stadium walls, taking the players out for a meal or on holiday, going to games and having the training ground walls painted or pitches relaid won’t make up the huge gulf in class that exists between our club off the pitch compared to our rivals, not only at this level but below too with some Championship clubs having better facilities than we do, more extensive scouting networks, better acadamies and better commercial deals.

Nothing will change until the owner changes and he won’t change so we need a change in ownership full stop, regardless of who our manager is.

Rafa staying may keep the masses happy, but not me and despite what I’ve said about him being content, he will always agitate for more and never be fully happy, not when he goes to this stadium or that stadium and sees the facilities compared to our own or when players are joining other clubs because we won’t pay the going rate for wages. He will eventually demand more and so should we.

Rafa is just the manager, he’s not the club and we should not accept being owned by Ashley just because Rafa is the manager. We should always protest his ownership and continue to challenge him to sell up at all times.

This latest stunt of turning up to games and taking the players out for a meal is just an attempt to turn the masses against the protesters or to keep them from joining the protestors who will put up with just about anything while Rafa remains in the dugout.

Not this skinny guinea!

Ashley Out

Even if that means adios Rafa...

Fucking spot on! 👏

That's definitely true the masses are accepting being owned by Ashley as Rafa is the manager.

I don’t disagree with any of that HTT, what I mean is you must believe that Rafa going would lead to Ashley selling. If you don’t believe that then surely it’s better to keep Rafa for as long as possible? Hard to know what the actual truth is here, obviously, but I think it’s a big assumption to link Rafa going with Ashley selling.

In my mind, there are 4 scenarios where Ashley goes:

1. He dies. Not against that option.

2. Relegation followed by not going back up. I think he'd dump us at cut price if there was no TV money on the table.

3. A higher offer for the club is put forward. The dream option.

4. SD massively piles in and he needs to sacrifice the club to save SD. Not a bad option.

Guest neesy111

That seems a lot...did I miss him threatening to kill him?

It's not, managers are fined according to what they earn.  So that's 1 week for rafa.

2. Relegation followed by not going back up. I think he'd dump us at cut price if there was no TV money on the table.

4. SD massively piles in and he needs to sacrifice the club to save SD. Not a bad option.

:nods:

You should think of the rest of us.

:lol: Thought I would set youse up for an easy one. Swear down I couldn't even get it up last weekend  ;D Ashley's fault

:lol: For the first time in a long long time i didn't even bother with the result other than look at my phone now and again. I've now accepted the job of managing my old Saturday football team, i hadn't 3 months ago because i was enjoying watching us on a Saturday afternoon, just so fed up like.

:lol: Thought I would set youse up for an easy one. Swear down I couldn't even get it up last weekend  ;D Ashley's fault

:lol: For the first time in a long long time i didn't even bother with the result other than look at my phone now and again. I've now accepted the job of managing my old Saturday football team, i hadn't 3 months ago because i was enjoying watching us on a Saturday afternoon, just so fed up like.

Same. Had a argument with my dad via text in the week after he constantly defends Ashley. He just keeps saying would he spend money wisely and he dosent blame Ashley for not spending loads on Rondon etc and we don't know who is signing the players, totally ignoring the last 11 years which proves beyond any doubt Ashley is to blame

I hate manure more than any other team. I will probably end up going into Peterborough or maybe even London shopping so I will no doubt find somewhere to stay out and watch it

Same. Had a argument with my dad via text in the week after he constantly defends Ashley. He just keeps saying would he spend money wisely and he dosent blame Ashley for not spending loads on Rondon etc and we don't know who is signing the players, totally ignoring the last 11 years which proves beyond any doubt Ashley is to blame

I hate manure more than any other team. I will probably end up going into Peterborough or maybe even London shopping so I will no doubt find somewhere to stay out and watch it

Same here, utterly hate Man Utd. Once my teams game has finished we'll all be in our clubhouse watching the game unfortunately, I've just lost the mojo for it at the moment.

Same here, utterly hate Man Utd. Once my teams game has finished we'll all be in our clubhouse watching the game unfortunately, I've just lost the mojo for it at the moment.

Yeah with a passion. More than Sunderland I reckon. The 0-1 win there was one of the best days of my life

I actually think that a SD collapse is potentially the most likely. Either that or FCB needs loads of cash to further his investment in HOF or Debenhams. God wouldn't that be just heaven? Happy if No. 1 happens first though!

I never thought I would hate someone as much as the man who is doing everything to destroy the club I love. Have loved? 

I just don't get why he's still at. How much money does he need! Imagine being in your 50s and loaded enough to to retire and live like a king yet still going through loads of stress and hassle all for a tiny amount more in the scheme of things. I mean fuck me he could sell us tomorrow for even 250m and keep all his other stuff and go and  retire to paradise somewhere