How Good Was... John Barnes?

Guest Howaythetoon

Great cameo performance on as a sub v Argentina in 86. He was garbage for us. One of the worst performances i ever witnessedwas a 2 1 home defeat to Crystal Palace. Him and batty played centre mid and i swear never passed the ball forward once. It was like the chuckle brothers to me to you. Just dreadful that will be my memory of him

Rush, Barnes and Pearce total waste of wages from the Entertainers to Magnolia in a season. Daglish was turd

Brilliant for Liverpool, not that great for England, better than expected for us.

Amongst that shit show of a team KD managed to assemble he was a shining light, didn't really get a lot of credit at the time.

Lives around the corner from me in a house that any journeyman footballer nowadays would turn his nose up at. Shows how the game has changed money wise.

He would be a millionaire 10 times over in the current market

Brilliant for Liverpool, not that great for England, better than expected for us.

Amongst that shit show of a team KD managed to assemble he was a shining light, didn't really get a lot of credit at the time.

Not to mention, by that time he was a busted flush. If you want to judge him, should be at his peak when he was playing for Liverpool. He was fantastic then.

I remember when it came out he was on £10k a week at Liverpool, people we're appalled. It was rumoured to be double what Bryan Robson was on and I think he was England captain at the time. Barnes was that valuable to Liverpool though.

Great cameo performance on as a sub v Argentina in 86. He was garbage for us. One of the worst performances i ever witnessedwas a 2 1 home defeat to Crystal Palace. Him and batty played centre mid and i swear never passed the ball forward once. It was like the chuckle brothers to me to you. Just dreadful that will be my memory of him

Rush, Barnes and Pearce total waste of wages from the Entertainers to Magnolia in a season. Daglish was turd

Yes to all of this. We had the option of Ian Wright on a free or signing his son. Ian Wright went to Celtic and we went to shit.

Was our top scorer in the league in 97-98. With six. Cheers Kenny Daggers.

Miles past it then as well. With Watford and for a time at Liverpool he made things look effortless. Didn't help he played in an era when English fans were still in a Neanderthal era when it came to racism.

Guest neesy111

Remember he scored a screamer for us against someone.  Possibly West Ham?

Vague memories of his goal against Dynamo Kiev being half decent. Pearce's certainly was.

Aye, scored a good winner vs West Ham away.  A rare highlight in the league that season.

Remember he scored a screamer for us against someone.  Possibly West Ham?

Vague memories of his goal against Dynamo Kiev being half decent. Pearce's certainly was.

Aye, scored a good winner vs West Ham away.  A rare highlight in the league that season.

Aye that was it.

Always remember him being at the Whitley Warriors games.  Seen him a few times.

Guest Howaythetoon

Well that went better than expected. So how much would someone like Barnes be worth today? I have to say when he played for us, I thought he was quite decent and classy at times, scoring a few goals along the way. Seems a canny bloke as well. Didn't know about the pron stuff though :lol:

Well that went better than expected. So how much would someone like Barnes be worth today? I have to say when he played for us, I thought he was quite decent and classy at times, scoring a few goals along the way. Seems a canny bloke as well. Didn't know about the pron stuff though :lol:

Same as Sterling or thereabouts you'd have to assume. Similar career trajectory/position.

Guest Howaythetoon

The thing from watching the clips, he was two footed and had great awareness, was some side that Liverpool assembled like.