Newcastle United 1 - 0 Crystal Palace - 21/10/17 - Post-match reaction from pg23

Greg

That is a simplistic argument though. Benteke might be a good striker but he cost them £32 million, hasn't scored a goal this season and is now crocked leaving them without a centre forward to play.

They do have some 'high value' players, but they have been signed at the cost of improving the squad overall. Spending their entire summer budget on Sakho and leaving clear holes throughout the squad was another example of bad management.

Their squad is patchy and unbalanced and it's arguably the main reason they're struggling, even moreso than the manager(s).

I don't see how any of this relates to my post tbh, you're making a different, much wider point that I hadn't touched upon at all.

You said this:

Not sure what's wrong with the idea of Palace having better players than us, like.

Then listed a handful of players to support that point. There's no doubt they have some players that would get a game for us, as I'd image most clubs in the league do. On the whole though, their team/squad is one of the weakest and most imbalanced in the division.

:thup:

Similar to us when we went down. We had some good players (Wijnaldum, Shelvey, Townsend etc.) but we were heavily reliant on the few good players we had because everyone else was trash. If our good players got injured, or didn’t turn up for a game - we’d get beat. The good players turned up less and less because we kept losing and they were probably sick of having to carry the others.

Palace’s team is very similar to that team of ours that went down.

:lol:

Aye let's take half of the worst team in the league, that will make us better.

Never seen such an overrated team in my life, I wonder how long do they need be utter shite before people open their eyes to the reality.

March?  April?

It is one of the most baffling things on here :lol: People have gone crazy.

Our team is only 'balanced' because Rafa has completely sorted us out like, it's the same as what has been said about Stoke and West Ham. Give them Rafa and he'd sort them out without drastically overhauling the squad.

Palace have a fair few players who would improve us, no doubt about it.

It's hard to say who has the 'worst XI in the league' as you never have a clear picture (how much is Lascelles & Clark/Lejune's partnership down to ability, or Rafa's instruction for example) and many players are pretty much just interchangeable so saying X would play ahead of Y is meaningless as you could be saying the opposite a day later.

The fact that we have an average of 43% possession whilst doing remarkably well is pretty telling like. It obviously isn't Benitez' m.o to so blatantly relinquish possession in almost every game like we are - to the point where Mark Hughes seemed to think he was Johan Cruyff when Stoke came here - he's doing it because he isn't confident we can control the game with the ball due to the pretty clear lack of quality.

I just don't get how people can talk about a sides balance without taking into consideration that the only reason we look good is because Benitez has managed to sort us out. Put Mark Hughes in charge of this group of players and he wouldn't have a fucking clue what to do.

I'm not talking about the side's balance in terms of coaching on every given matchday but the balance of their squad. Palace's squad building has been all over the place. We may not have much quality up top but we at least have 4 forward players. Palace have left themselves woefully short there and between the sticks, plus have persisted with players like Ward and Delaney for years who are bottom 6 Championship players IMO.

Look at their result tonight with a second string outfit; that's down to more than a manager who can't set up a side - it's down to short termism and a lack of plan at board level.

I'm not talking about the side's balance in terms of coaching on every given day but the balance of their squad. Palace's squad building has been all over the place. We may not have much quality up top but we at least have 4 forward players. Palace have left themselves woefully short there and between the sticks, plus have persisted with players like Ward and Delaney for years who are bottom 6 Championship players IMO.

Look at their result tonight with a second string outfit; that's down to more than a manager who can't set up a side - it's down to short termism and a lack of plan at board level.

The balance things was aimed at Mole tbh, I skimmed the thread and hadn't read HTT's post properly like.

You have to take into account that Benitez is actively improving players also though. While his tactics are a huge part of it, he's finding ability in players that is there & working on it. Think its a bit harsh to see us still largely as a championship side, when players do develop. Give it time & other sides may want our players.

I don't think many have actually improved loads like. Lascelles obviously but he was a 21 year old centre back when we went down so him not improving was unlikely under any decent manager. Most of our players grew into the system and we now look very solid because of it, but I cannot think of anyone who wasn't in their very early 20s who actually looks a better player than at any other point since Benitez or they arrived. Clark could be argued but I think he falls under the 'better because he's been managed by a good manager in a settled team' bracket.

I don't think many have actually improved loads like. Lascelles obviously but he was a 21 year old centre back when we went down so him not improving was unlikely under any decent manager. Most of our players grew into the system and we now look very solid because of it, but I cannot think of anyone who wasn't in their very early 20s who actually looks a better player than at any other point since Benitez or they arrived.

Clark is miles better than he was at Villa. Yedlin wasn't that highly rated at Sunderland either was he?

Yedlin's only just turned 24 like and Sunderland was he first real shot in the Premiership.

EDIT: FWIW I'm not saying Rafa is bad at coaching players and improving them, I just think "Benitez is actively improving players" is greatly exaggerated. He's the kind of manager who can make shit players perform well for sure.

I thought I was quick with my edit [emoji38]

Clark instantly looked better than he ever has and has sort of just continued that back into the Premiership. I dunno if he is a better player now or not like, maybe he is, but Villa were absolutely shite for most of his career there.

Nah he definitely is better. He's much better for Ireland now too

I don't think many have actually improved loads like. Lascelles obviously but he was a 21 year old centre back when we went down so him not improving was unlikely under any decent manager. Most of our players grew into the system and we now look very solid because of it, but I cannot think of anyone who wasn't in their very early 20s who actually looks a better player than at any other point since Benitez or they arrived.

Clark is miles better than he was at Villa. Yedlin wasn't that highly rated at Sunderland either was he?

Yedlin was raw yeah. He hasnt been fully committed to the sport for all that long compared to other players his age. He really is in about his 8th year of playing the sport with any sort of seriousness. He played multiple sports here in the US till he was about 16. So he got exactly what he needed was a manager who could help sort his raw ability into a competent player. True testament to Rafa and the staff  (plus Yedlin's eagerness to learn). Who knows  how good Yedlin would be had he gotten the same tutelage as someone like Manquillo who was raised in the Atletico system and elsewhere. Our American developmental system has been whack (getting better but not good enough). So really Yedlin had to overcome starting later, and the developmental system we have. Its why Ive always attested to fellow US fans that he will bloom later, it will limit his ceiling, but he could still become a good player at a high level. In terms of development...he is probably more along the lines of a 21 year old IMO. With his elite athleticism maybe his ceiling can be higher than I thought. Still Rafa and the staff deserve major applause for bringing that out of him.  /rant  :lol:

Mackems on Total Sport were very complimentary about Yedlin helping them stay up under Allardyce and were gutted he signed for us.