Newcastle United 1 - 0 Crystal Palace - 21/10/17 - Post-match reaction from pg23

Greg

Obviously people will disagree but I made a combined XI with subs.

NUFC/CPFC Combined XI

Hennesey

Yedlin  Sakho  Lascelles  Van Aanholt

Townend  Cabaye  Merino  Zaha

Shelvey

Benteke

Ratio

NUFC: 4 CP: 7

Subs:

Elliot

Lejeune

Schlupp

Ritchie

Loftus Cheek

Puncheon

Gayle

Ratio

NUFC: 4 CP: 3

Guest firetotheworks

In my opinion they have about 3 maybe 4 players that would get in our team, Benteke (Joselu), Zaha(Either winger probably Atsu) and Probably Cabaye (Hayden) other than that I would rather keep what we have. Sahko has the odd good game and Townsend maybe based on his form when he was here would have a shout, but they're not definte upgrades to what we have at all. Loftus Cheek looks decent from what i've seen, but i wouldn't swap him for Shelvey or Merino.

Forgot about Perez, Zaha can have his spot and then keep our 2 wingers

Loftus-Cheek plays in Perez's position. You'd take Van-Aanholt over Dummett as well.

Guest firetotheworks

Haven't seen MOTD yet, did they replay the Cabaye incident in the studio over and over again saying it should have been a red card?

They did tbf.

Haven't seen MOTD yet, did they replay the Cabaye incident in the studio over and over again saying it should have been a red card?

All agreed it should have been a red and he was lucky. Think Phil Neville called it a leg breaker.

Guest neesy111

That cabaye challenge was a disgrace.  How the fuck the ref thought that was only a yellow while he booked 4/5 of our players as well ffs.

Cabaye is done. No where near as good as he was with us

Insert Loftus Cheek and push Shelvey further back I guess.

U2: Care to elaborate?

Just don't agree with half your picks.  Townsend for example shouldn't be ahead of Ritchie.  I take Dummett ahead of PvA every time.  Cabaye is finished.  Just loads I disagree with.  Nothing malicious here, I just disagree.

Cabaye is done. No where near as good as he was with us

Insert Loftus Cheek and push Shelvey further back I guess.

U2: Care to elaborate?

Just don't agree with half your picks.  Townsend for example shouldn't be ahead of Ritchie.  I take Dummett ahead of PvA every time.  Cabaye is finished.  Just loads I disagree with.  Nothing malicious here, I just disagree.

That's fine was just wondering who your choices were. Probably agree with Cabaye. I probably picked Cabaye based on how he played for us but I wouldn't pick Dummett for the first XI

Obviously people will disagree but I made a combined XI with subs.

NUFC/CPFC Combined XI

Hennesey

Yedlin  Sakho  Lascelles  Van Aanholt

Townend  Cabaye  Merino  Zaha

Shelvey

Benteke

Ratio

NUFC: 4 CP: 7

Subs:

Elliot

Lejeune

Schlupp

Ritchie

Loftus Cheek

Puncheon

Gayle

Ratio

NUFC: 4 CP: 3

All Pretty Average

Yedlin  Lejeune  Clark  Mbemba

Ritchie  Shelvey  Merino  Atsu

Zaha

Benteke

Based on what ive seen from both side recently

I think the squads are pretty evenly matched tbh, although on paper they probably have the edge.

Swap the managers though and the result would've been very different - that was a Rafa masterclass in shutting down an away team with pacy players trying to break on you.

Players just don't get sent off against us. Seems ridiculous, Bradley Johnson last player to get sent off against us in the Prem. That Cabaye tackle was a nailed on red. Scissor challenge.

Knew it was nasty even from level 7 because he did nasty tackles like that all the time for us.

The referee bottled giving Cabaye a red, he ran to the incident faster than any ref has ran before and was ready to pull a red out. The Palace players and Cabaye’s immediate apology calmed him down though.

In all honesty the referee needs to be dropped just for that decision, in my opinion he failed to take adequate action to protect the safety of players.

The referee bottled giving Cabaye a red, he ran to the incident faster than any red has ran before and was ready to pull a red out. The Palace players and Cabaye’s immediate apology calmed him down though.

In all honesty the referee needs to be dropped just for that decision, in my opinion he failed to take adequate action to protect the safety of players.

Definitely.  In that moment as soon as the foul was made the ref decided it was a red, blowing the whistle like he did and the way he sprinted over, totally bottled it

I think the squads are pretty evenly matched tbh, although on paper they probably have the edge.

Swap the managers though and the result would've been very different - that was a Rafa masterclass in shutting down an away team with pacy players trying to break on you.

It never fails to amaze me how big a difference a good manager makes over one that is out of his depth.

Benteke, Townsend, Zaha, Loftus-Cheek - that front 4 man for man is considerably better than what we have imo. All of them have a decent combination of pace, power, or skill. Stark contrast to our front four, who constantly lose the ball with pathetic/timid attempts at controlling a football, dribbling, exploiting space, or crossing. The lack of quality and pace from the front 4 is pretty awful, and results like this won't be sustained over the long term unless we improve on the personnel we have playing there.

The reason why we scraped 3 points yesterday is because they played with no semblance of a gameplan or tactical/attacking drilling. Standard Pards style throw players forward and hope for individual brilliance (or diving) to produce something. As a team they looked disjointed, and it's easy to see why they're bottom of the league despite the players they have on paper. The fact that we're not down there with them is entirely due to Rafa.

The referee bottled giving Cabaye a red, he ran to the incident faster than any ref has ran before and was ready to pull a red out. The Palace players and Cabaye’s immediate apology calmed him down though.

That's Cabaye's thing though, he did it every time for us. Put in an awful challenge then pretends he's really sorry. Depressing to see the ref fall for it really.

Guest neesy111

That's Cabaye's thing though, he did it every time for us. Put in an awful challenge then pretends he's really sorry. Depressing to see the ref fall for it really.

Aye, cabaye got away with a few like that when we played for us.

Can't stand the bloke, soon as he refused to play that was a cardinal sin which you can't go back on.