Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If we get taken over, any club will know we have money to spend so whether Rafa says it or not makes no difference in terms of transfer fees.

Yeah maybe, or at least assume we have cash. They will hardly "know".

I've said it for years, Pardew was a f***ing idiot when he advertised that some our players were available for transfer, it immediately lowered their fee by a few million. Benitez is just a lot more shrewd when it comes to interviews, I'd read not into it. Imagine man "Yes, we've got 250 million to spend" - every club would instantly add 5 - 10 million onto the valuation of every player when we came knocking.

Keep your cards close to your chest.

Yeah it would surely add a few million.

I've said it for years,  Pardew was a fucking idiot when he advertised that some our players were available for transfer, it immediately lowered their fee by a few million.  Benitez is just a lot more shrewd when it comes to interviews, I'd read not into it. Imagine man "Yes, we've got 250 million to spend" - every club would instantly add 5 - 10 million onto the valuation of every player when we came knocking.

:lol:

Shreeves: "What did you make of the game, Alan?"

Pards: "So anyway about Ba's release clause..."

I've said it for years,  Pardew was a fucking idiot when he advertised that some our players were available for transfer, it immediately lowered their fee by a few million.  Benitez is just a lot more shrewd when it comes to interviews, I'd read not into it. Imagine man "Yes, we've got 250 million to spend" - every club would instantly add 5 - 10 million onto the valuation of every player when we came knocking.

:lol:

Shreeves: "What did you make of the game, Alan?"

Pards: "So anyway about Ba's release clause..."

Dark times.

It's happening man don't worry the journalists know fuck all. If you listen to the chronicle podcast this week  Mark Douglas was saying that if you had asked some of their sources up until the bid came in they were sure the takeover wouldn't happen and that it was just a ploy from Ashley. I think that's where that London Economics article came from. Now they are changing their tune. So it just proves they know fuck all. For all we know a new bid could have been submitted and they are just going over the finer details of it.

Off on a bit of a tangent here but how do the financial fair play rules work?

Never had any reason to look into it as it was never going to affect us in a million years under Ashley.

Is there a simple way of working out how much we could theoretically spend in January? Just noticed Rafa mention this, so assuming it'd be less than £100 million?

Not expecting us to spend this by the way just interested in the answer.

Never had any reason to look into it as it was never going to affect us in a million years under Ashley.

Is there a simple way of working out how much we could theoretically spend in January? Just noticed Rafa mention this, so assuming it'd be less than £100 million?

To be honest i just took Rafa's comment as being clever and not showing his hand for if/when the takeover happens.  He's a smart bloke unlike some of the dimwits we've had before who'd probably tell the world we've got a bottomless war chest, then wonder why clubs are quoting ridiculous prices.

To be honest i just took Rafa's comment as being clever and not showing his hand for if/when the takeover happens.  He's a smart bloke unlike some of the dimwits we've had before who'd probably tell the world we've got a bottomless war chest, then wonder why clubs are quoting ridiculous prices.

Yeah completely agree, just got me thinking how FFP would theoretically affect us. Unsure how you go about working out the maximum we could spend.

To put it simply a club owner isn’t allowed to just keep putting money into the club. Loans from owners are allowed (as Ashley has done), however a club is only allowed a certain percentage of loans to turnover. One way of getting round this is an owners other business sponsoring the club, like Etihad do with Man City. However they have sort of clamped down on this and now a club isn’t allowed sponsorship over the market value. As the market value keeps increasing and other clubs have mega deals this is hard if not impossible for the FA or any other football governing body to regulate, as the market value is after all whatever the club has been offered.

Non footballing activities of the business are not taken into account, so stadium renovation/building costs/loans, as well as training ground and academy costs are not taken into account. I also believe non-playing staff wages arn’t taken into account.

Just found this from the Guardian:

"It is understood FFP regulations would permit Benítez to invest around £30m in January, although increased income would dictate that Newcastle could be free to spend considerably more next summer. The fear among fans is that, should Staveley’s bid collapse and Ashley remain in control, such a scenario may become academic."

So around £30 million max even if there was more money available it seems.

I just woke up, and I had a dream that was so real! Remember reading on here that it was done, official site, Sky and so on, and fuck it felt good. At the same time just afterwards I was chased out from my apartment by a Polar Bear and a Komodo dragon so when I woke up I didn't really have to think twice if the takeover had really happened or not.

"It is understood FFP regulations would permit Benítez to invest around £30m in January, although increased income would dictate that Newcastle could be free to spend considerably more next summer. The fear among fans is that, should Staveley’s bid collapse and Ashley remain in control, such a scenario may become academic."

So how do other clubs like Man City get away with spending more?

I just woke up, and I had a dream that was so real! Remember reading on here that it was done, official site, Sky and so on, and fuck it felt good. At the same time just afterwards I was chased out from my apartment by a Polar Bear and a Komodo dragon so when I woke up I didn't really have to think twice if the takeover had really happened or not.

On my way to the zoo to pinch a few animals to take to yours for when the takeover is announced.

Pretty sure sponsorship deals and income (tickets, TV money, merchandise etc), which will take time to grow no matter what. Apart from the sponsorship of course, as we're currently giving it away for free!

Clubs at the top earn much more.. Hence they can spend more

That from the guardian is a load of rubbish, £30 million I don't think so. It's over 3 years FFP and don't think we have been anywhere near getting close to it. You can spend loads as long as it equals out over the 3 years so as long as they find new revenue streams we would be fine. I am sure the Chrinicle did a piece on FFP Inwill try and find it.