Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Howaythetoon

I will never tell people off for going to watch. What I would say is that the “support your side through thick and thin” unwritten rule is - surely - based on the premise that your club is trying to win; or at least compete. Call me Vulcan or autistic or pretentious or weird, but in my mind if he treats my club as a business; then I will respond like a customer. The product is shit and I won’t invest my time and money. That’s what I’d ask our match-going fans to think about. He’s changed the parameters of the very notion of supporting a club. Reacting the same way you always have - which is entirely admirable in some respects - no longer appears logical, intelligent, productive or even appropriate.

Said similar in another thread, in fewer words of course ;)

Spot on and my thoughts exactly, only I would have a go at those attending and have done so and will continue to do so.

I would never attack the old timers nor families going together or groups of bairns, but the Soccer Am brigade can fuck off.

The majority of those types that attend SJP are the same type of person who will pay to watch Anthony Joshua/Colin McGregor fight, but would otherwise show no interest in the sport of boxing at any other time before or after, but give it the big I am while it’s on.

Who dress up on Halloween to hit the Toon in an elaborate look at me way. Who do the same on St Patrick’s day or Black Eyed Friday. People who go to an Ed Sheeren concert despite having heard none of his songs or own any of his albums. Whose whole social life needs elevated by an event, be it a boxing match or NUFC vs whoever or something as dumb as Halloween.

We have tens of thousands of those week in week out male and female who consider going to the match to watch Newcastle United as an elevation of their social life and go because it’s trendy and popular. It’s not just at St. James’ Park though, this breed of ‘fan’ can be found in the thousands at every Premier League stadium whose number grows following a World Cup.

And I fucking hate them because they’ve replaced passionate people, people who go because it’s their club, because they love football. People who would jump rows to have a go at Mike Ashley. Replaced by customers who’ve bought into the product that is a game of Premier league football.

The product doesn’t even have to be that good, it’s Premier League football. It’s Man City in Toon.

I’m convinced a few seasons outside of the Premier League will see those ‘fans’ disppear in the tens of thousands, sadly though the hardcore fans they’ve replaced will probably never return.

Some of them, people I know personally, are too busy having fun at the ‘Heed or doing something worthwhile with their lives on a weekend.

By the way I’m not claiming I’m some super fan or more of a fan than those I’m attacking, I’m not. But I guarantee I care more about my club than a lot of them ever have, do and likely will, and as a result I’m prepared to make a stand, be it as an individual or by supporting those that care likewise and are making a stand too.

A lot of fans who go to the match today NUFC is an extension to their social life or status and many do so out of popularism. If NUFC were where the mackems are now, they wouldn’t be around. I would if the owner had the club’s best interests at heart and he, the manager and players gave their all for the cause enough to make me proud and give me hope.

All that is dead today for me. Rafa or no Rafa, Premier League or Championship.

I’d honestly take NUFC being relegated all the way to the conference if it ridded us of all traces of Mike Ashley and Sports Direct and I say that with such conviction having went to and enjoyed more Gateshead FC matches in the last 11 years than I’ve attended NUFC games and those I have attended even ones we’ve won I’ve not fully enjoyed because any joy quickly gets sucked out of you and replaced with misery knowing Mike Ashley is our owner.

Crash and burn baby!

Guest Howaythetoon

Copied the following post from toontastic and it sums the situation up perfectly for me. For those of us who were around following NUFC in the 70s, 80s and 90s this current situation has officially killed off the NUFC we grew up with and its not coming back either. I simply dont identify with the people who go to SJP anymore. Anyway, onto that copied post.....

I don’t think this is a knee jerk to a poor result at home to a weak side but I feel like Ashley has finally pushed firmly down on the pillow and suffocated this club this season after a decade of holding it just above the club’s nose.

The club has been utterly destroyed, we were a great football club, not necessarily on the pitch or in terms of trophies but we were a proper football club and there was a great connection between club and fan base even in the times we struggled which imo is rare in the modern game.

Football is the highlight of many people’s weeks, I’m not ashamed to admit it can often be the highlight of mine. He’s ripped that from us, I can no longer say it can ever be that to me we’re tragic, utterly tragic. For 10 years we’ve depended on some rough diamond we picked up for cheap turning into a player, then when they do we’ve essentially depended on them to carry the whole team as opposed to building anything around them. I don’t even enjoy watching us anymore, watching players as devoid of any talent such as Joselu plod around the pitch just isn’t football.

There’s no passion surrounding the club, no buzz, no excitement, and there hasn’t been since the first year he bought us, before he decided to drive the club into its first calamities by attempting to disgrace club legends.

I used to love watching football, but honestly my whole passion for it has subsided. I don’t even bother watching Champions League games or keeping track of most scores. I quite regularly have no idea of the placing of other PL sides, as what’s the point? We’re going to be struggling to keep our heads above water like the little, irrelevant, tin pot club we have become. 

My whole feeling was summed up this week, I was listening to a podcast and when they were discussing Man Utds comeback win against us one of the pundits said “yeah but I mean it was only Newcastle” it wasn’t an attempted dig, it was just the truth and I took no offense or exception to it, the bloke was spot on. That’s exactly what we are, a club that every team in the league will see as a winnable game. If you told me all this 10 years ago I’d feel sick to my stomach but now I just don’t care, he’s sucked any soul or passion out of Newcastle United Football Club.

What is this all for? What on Earth is the purpose? If it was money he could quite easily make far more elsewhere, if it was advertising he could have spent all he’s invested on far higher profile advertising. I think overall it’s been negative to his company, clearly his image, and obviously the football club.

It’ll be a shame to see Rafa Benitez go, his reign has once and for all proven Ashley will never care about the club, if ever he was going to invest it would be when he had a world class manager at the helm. Instead yet another legend of football has been embarrassed, degraded, and pushed out in an insulting and disgraceful way. That’s Newcastle United.

tl;dr

I largely enjoyed last season and will always be grateful to Rafa for that as suspect it could be the last for some time. However, wish he'd left in the summer in all honesty.

The ridiculous reported standoff that Ashley would only back him if he signed a new contract and Rafa reportedly only signing if he was backed didn't help anyone. Would Ashley have? Probably not but we'll never truly know I guess. He has spent/wasted (McLaren) in the past so maybe. Either way, Rafas stubbornness was built out of wariness of Ashley over repeated broken promises, whereas Ashley's was not wanting to lose face. Surely you'd trust a man of Rafas integrity? But suspect Ashley would have seen blinking first as weakness.

Well, you got your wish HTT.  Now please fuck off onto the mackem board.  I can't stand the people running our great club at this moment in time and I absolutely hate this owner of Newcastle United.  However, for anyone to wish a defeat on their team is downright pathetic and traitorous.  Just fuck off with your hatred and bile.  Supporter?  My arse!

Well, you got your wish HTT.  Now please fuck off onto the mackem board.  I can't stand the people running our great club at this moment in time and I absolutely hate this owner of Newcastle United.  However, for anyone to wish a defeat on their team is downright pathetic and traitorous.  Just fuck off with your hatred and bile.  Supporter?  My arse!

Go fuck off and support the team and let Ashley sit in peace

I largely enjoyed last season and will always be grateful to Rafa for that as suspect it could be the last for some time. However, wish he'd left in the summer in all honesty.

The ridiculous reported standoff that Ashley would only back him if he signed a new contract and Rafa reportedly only signing if he was backed didn't help anyone. Would Ashley have? Probably not but we'll never truly know I guess. He has spent/wasted (McLaren) in the past so maybe. Either way, Rafas stubbornness was built out of wariness of Ashley over repeated broken promises, whereas Ashley's was not wanting to lose face. Surely you'd trust a man of Rafas integrity? But suspect Ashley would have seen blinking first as weakness.

Of course he wouldn't. That's more pr bollocks as if that was the case why not just sign a contract saying he can spend x amount or walk for nothing

:thup:

And you have obviousley never been to a game in your life.

And you have obviousley never been to a game in your life.

Been to plenty cheers. Season ticket for years and about 60 plus aways including benfica and Brugge and Swansea and Southampton on my own on Sunday evenings last year

The day this c*** gets his grubby mits off our club, i'm celebrating like a mad man.

f*** off Mike you fat c***.

Thing is, the rot he has caused is going to take so long to clean up.

No doubt, but the clean up can only start when he's fucked off.

Guest Howaythetoon

This place when we lose is somewhat, grumpy.

:lol: A loss these days feels like a win to me in my one man personal boycott of all things Ashley NUFC. That and it gives me great pleasure to see all those mugs who keep giving him money get their knickers in a twist when we lose to Brighton. You get what you pay for...

Guest Howaythetoon

It’s not my team or club anymore, it’s Mike Ashley’s and belongs to the absolute fucking mugs who by keep giving him money guarantees it will always be his club to do as he pleases and as such they are all welcome to one another. Don’t come on here and bleat about a defeat or a relegation or Rafa not being backed in the transfer market. What do you expect? Again you get what you pay for. Why the fuck would I want to see him rewarded or those that go and with a fucking poxy 3 points anyway when he and they have taken away our club and the whole significance of 3 points. They mean fuck all. The club is nowt. There is no fucking point to any of it. Well, other than to Ashley and his lemmings...

It’s not my team or club anymore, it’s Mike Ashley’s and belongs to the absolute fucking mugs who by keep giving him money guarantees it will always be his club to do as he pleases and as such they are all welcome to one another. Don’t come on here and bleat about a defeat or a relegation or Rafa not being backed in the transfer market. What do you expect? Again you get what you pay for. Why the fuck would I want to see him rewarded or those that go and with a fucking poxy 3 points anyway when he and they have taken away our club and the whole significance of 3 points. They mean fuck all. The club is nowt. There is no fucking point to any of it. Well, other than to Ashley and his lemmings...

👏

:lol: A loss these days feels like a win to me in my one man personal boycott of all things Ashley NUFC. That and it gives me great pleasure to see all those mugs who keep giving him money get their knickers in a twist when we lose to Brighton. You get what you pay for...

The “best” thing about getting rolled by Brighton was Ashley seeing how completely turd we are.

The next best thing was Chrissy Hughton sticking it up Ashley.

Unfortunately, narcissists don’t feel remorse, so the benefit is limited...

I don't want us to lose ever, crystal ball time this but if i knew losing every game until X-mas would mean Ashley would sell. I would have a hard time not wanting that to be true, and yet i want us to win every game we play and certainly will do next weekend.

Ashley has us hating football, each other at times. No one lasts forever and we have to outlast him, but irritate the living feck of him in the hope it hurries the fat parasite along. Right now though i see no light at the end of any tunnel, not just yet anyhoo.

So what you’re saying is every week this place is grumpy then?

Brightens up, immeasurably on international breaks.

Aye which is some twisted thing as i hated international breaks getting in the way of club football, so so frustrating all this.

Of course he wouldn't. That's more pr bollocks as if that was the case why not just sign a contract saying he can spend x amount or walk for nothing

Has a contract like that ever been signed? Are you a lawyer? Im going to assume the answer to both is no.

He's never selling like. He'll still value the club at £300m+ when in reality, with relegation imminent, and the huge amounts of money needed to bring the training ground and stadium up to scratch, not to mention the playing squad, it's probably only worth around a third of that to any potential buyer

He's here forever.