Arsenal 1-0 Newcastle United - 16/12/17 - Post match reaction from page 15

Greg

Surely it's clear this is the worst PL team we've ever had? Just so little quality, even when we put in a decent shift.

Even last season in the Championship we were clearly a lot worse on the ball than the teams around us despite picking up more points. We're pretty much awful to a man.

We played a hell of lot better today than in the last few games, if we had a player actually capable of threatening the goal we might be an effective team.

A quality striker would have made a difference you say? What a daft idea.

Pleased as you can be with a defeat. Gargantuan game next weekend though.

Loss. 100%

Has your dummy come out?  :lol:

No, I just think we'll lose? Comfortably.

Against West Ham...we comfortably beat them at SJP...

Under Bilic when the form of each team was reversed.

Aye, but nonetheless, I find it a bit absurd to write it off as a comfortable loss.

Surely it's clear this is the worst PL team we've ever had? Just so little quality, even when we put in a decent shift.

Even last season in the Championship we were clearly a lot worse on the ball than the teams around us despite picking up more points. We're pretty much awful to a man.

You're not wrong either, we were often second best for possession.

At what point is it reasonable to think you're being mistreated by referee's? Every team seems to think it's being picked on but fucking hell, why can no one get sent off against us?

I honestly can't remember the last time I watched one of our games and thought the ref was fair and neutral.

Loss. 100%

Aye, but nonetheless, I find it a bit absurd to write it off as a comfortable loss.

Hope to god I'm wrong like :lol: We need the points desperately.  Soon it won't matter what we do in January

At what point is it reasonable to think you're being mistreated by referee's? Every team seems to think it's being picked on but fucking hell, why can no one get sent off against us?

It's basically game of thrones mate. Teams like Arsenal are from the saintly south while we're from the filthy north.

Guest firetotheworks

Loss. 100%

Agreed. Can understand people thinking it'll happen though. Nothing (bar possibly Man City away) should ever be viewed as a write off.

Loss. 100%

Agreed. Can understand people thinking it'll happen though. Nothing (bar possibly Man City away) should ever be viewed as a write off.

With this Man City team the home game should be written off as well.

Loss. 100%

Hope to god I'm wrong like :lol: We need the points desperately.  Soon it won't matter what we do in January

That I can agree with. It's more of a must not lose than a must win next week for me like. We simply must beat Brighton, Huddersfield, Swansea and West Brom at home though.

Much better second half, actually managed to get the basics right and get into some good areas but ultimately as usual let down by the quality of strikers and or final ball.

The squad isn't anywhere near good enough, but with the 50 million spent last season, the similar amount to the likes of Hudds and Brighton spent this season, its a bit disappointing that a manager of Benitez' pedigree isn't doing better, not so much in this game as a 1-0 defeat is fairly credible but the dropped points against the teams around us.

If he does get money for January he needs to spend it better than he has so far.

He spent money for the championship to get us out of the championship. Most of it if not all funded by Sissoko and Wijnaldum sales man.

You're not wrong either, we were often second best for possession.

The amount of games where we'd look sloppy as fuck was frightening. I'm not saying we never had the best squad in the league, we arguably did, but we never could have played like Huddersfield, Fulham and at times Shef Wed did. The lack of any kind of quality on the ball is killing us now. We're just drab.

Loss. 100%

That I can agree with. It's more of a must not lose than a must win next week for me like. We simply must beat Brighton, Huddersfield, Swansea and West Brom at home though.

Well quite simply, we won't win all of them so I disagree, there's other teams we can beat as well apart from maybe the top five or six.

Guest firetotheworks

Loss. 100%

:lol: That's the spirit!

Regardless of where the money came from he still spent 50 million picking and signing players, for that money we should have already had a huge advantage on both Brighton and Huddersfield and then the three of us spent very similar money and we are the worst of the three.

They spent their amounts on better players for the price and we spent ours on players like Manquillo and Joselu, not to mention wasting the bulk of the money on "one for the future"

Loss. 100%

:lol: That's the spirit!

Indeed. Our worst PL team ever definitely has a chance against the undefeated Man City team who have demolished just about everyone home and away in humiliating fashion.

Brighton and Huddersfield had a set budget. We told Rafa he needed to sell to buy meaning he never had any idea of what he would have and at what time.

You cannot build a squad when you don't know what you have to spend, that's mental.

Rafa was told he had a budget.

Then he tried to sign some players and was messed around by Ashley and Barnes.

Like you said - how can he build something when he was told he had a budget and then was blocked from bringing in a few loan deals?  A total mess.

Shambles of a transfer window and the blame lies entirely with Mike Ashley.

Loss. 100%

Well quite simply, we won't win all of them so I disagree, there;s other teams we can beat as well apart from maybe the top five or six.

I'm not saying we cannot beat other teams, I'm just saying those ones are particularly important to win. If we draw at West Ham, we'll have taken 4 points from them this season and they'll be bottom 10 this season. Same goes for Stoke. Beat West Brom at home, that's 4 points from them this season. Swansea at home, beat them and that's 6 points off them and beat Brighton and Huddersfield and we've taken 3 from each of those and as a result you've matched or beaten all the teams around you in the games against them.

I honestly don't see us getting much (if any) less points than those teams I've mentioned against the rest of the league. The Premier League is a 4 tier league with Man City in their own tier. After that there's probably 3 or 4 teams chasing Champions League football (Chelsea, Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool), a third tier of teams like Everton, Leicester, Southampton, Watford and this season Burnley who will all comfortably make up the top 10. The rest are in a relegation scrap.

EDIT: Forgot about Spurs  :lol: