Newcastle United 1 - 1 Swansea City - 13/01/18 - Post-match reaction from pg16

Dave

Why haven't we gone with the front 4 that looked so good at Stoke since then? Looked like we'd finally cracked it in terms of having a fluid attack with good pace, movement and incisiveness, albeit against s**** opposition.

Well this was our first league game since then.

Presume Rafa doesn't think that set up will work at home when we won't have as many chances to counter but I agree, would have liked to see something similar.

Not sure how to approach Man City but should be similar approach to Stoke (or West Ham actually) when we go to Palace.

Ah fuck, so it was. Games have come so thick and fast lately I got mixed up [emoji38]

That definitely needs trying again, there was promise there.

Why haven't we gone with the front 4 that looked so good at Stoke since then? Looked like we'd finally cracked it in terms of having a fluid attack with good pace, movement and incisiveness, albeit against s**** opposition.

Well this was our first league game since then.

Presume Rafa doesn't think that set up will work at home when we won't have as many chances to counter but I agree, would have liked to see something similar.

Not sure how to approach Man City but should be similar approach to Stoke (or West Ham actually) when we go to Palace.

Ah f***, so it was. Games have come so thick and fast lately I got mixed up [emoji38]

That definitely needs trying again, there was promise there.

That pesky FA Cup confusing you!

People saying he got it right by pulling us back is just, well, as far as I can tell it was trying to be defensive and sitting back that actually caused us to concede. They went from not threatening at all to hemming us in and having chance after chance. All because we sat off.

Guest neesy111

The Stoke away front 4 would definitely be my first choice like :thup:

Agreed.  Think it'll help with stretching teams.  I really think we are quite predictable a lot of the time, we weren't that game.

What's that Sartre quote? 'In football, everything is complicated by the presence of the opposition..'  Carvalhal said in his post match interview he 'corrected' something in his team (I'm not sure what) but clearly it had an effect. So it's not just a case of us sitting back, sometimes the opposition has a say in that.

A very obvious point I know but judging by some of the daft comments, opposing teams should just let us do what we want. They are bottom of the league and he was brought in to save them. That second half showed he is doing his job after a first half where they could have been a couple down at least.

Guest Howaythetoon

The bairns stayed at their aunt and uncle’s last night and all night the little one who I took to the game was singing Toon songs and stayed up to watch match of the day with my brother apparently. As shit as the match was, his face when we got up those stairs and he seen the whole pitch from so high up...He was transfixed. It seems he’s hooked and when I picked him up this morning he was asking about the next match. I’m really torn because I don’t enjoy the games or the match experience these days and I do know if he becomes hooked the other one will eventually want to go all the time too and I can’t be chowed with the whole season tickets and going to every home game with a 4 year old and 5 year old. I don’t think I could anyway due to work commitments. He also wants an Arsenal top as his cousin from London supports them. Dunno about that like!

What's that Sartre quote? 'In football, everything is complicated by the presence of the opposition..'  Carvalhal said in his post match interview he 'corrected' something in his team (I'm not sure what) but clearly it had an effect. So it's not just a case of us sitting back, sometimes the opposition has a say in that.

A very obvious point I know but judging by some of the daft comments, opposing teams should just let us do what we want. They are bottom of the league and he was brought in to save them. That second half showed he is doing his job after a first half where they could have been a couple down at least.

:thup: Good post.

Great post, it's clear we're just not good enough to consistently force our game on the opposition and win, just look at our squad ffs. Some fans are keeping this delusion tag alive at the minute.

All our chances came down the left with Atsu, and I reckon Murphy would've caused far more problems than Ritchie on the other side. I'm not sure what the plan was with Ritchie, and to be fair we did piss away enough chances to win in the first half, but in the second half we needed to gamble and we didn't. Teams like Swansea at home probably represent our only realistic chance of staying up and we have to roll the dice against teams like this.

Guest neesy111

I wouldn't say roll the dice, but we need to stop making a few more risks.  You can't keep being risk averse, it catches up eventually imo.

I wouldn't say roll the dice, but we need to stop making a few more risks.  You can't keep being risk averse, it catches up eventually imo.

I thought we did? Rafa started playing 2 strikers and we started getting beat?

We've gone back to 451 and started putting results together.

Guest neesy111

We won at West ham with 2 up top.

I still haven't seen us play 2 up top tbh, joselu for a few months has been basically a number 10 after Gayle started playing again.

The bairns stayed at their aunt and uncle’s last night and all night the little one who I took to the game was singing Toon songs and stayed up to watch match of the day with my brother apparently. As shit as the match was, his face when we got up those stairs and he seen the whole pitch from so high up...He was transfixed. It seems he’s hooked and when I picked him up this morning he was asking about the next match. I’m really torn because I don’t enjoy the games or the match experience these days and I do know if he becomes hooked the other one will eventually want to go all the time too and I can’t be chowed with the whole season tickets and going to every home game with a 4 year old and 5 year old. I don’t think I could anyway due to work commitments. He also wants an Arsenal top as his cousin from London supports them. Dunno about that like!

Sounds like that Bobby quote:

It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.