Newcastle United 1 - 1 Swansea City - 13/01/18 - Post-match reaction from pg16

Dave

I agree that Murphy should've played but slightly disagree with "going for it".

Our squad clearly isnt good enough to be trusted with that attitude. We almost lost it at the end by committing players forward, luckily Bony didn't even have a look before shooting. We're a complete mess defensively when we fail to keep a tight shape and game goes in the "end to end" fashion. The whole thing is based on team structure that tries to hide the weakness of the individuals, lose that even a little bit and everything falls apart.

I guess percentage wise it comes down to how much you value a point in this game vs how likely we're to win/draw/lose by "going for it".

I'm with this. I feel Rafa is just papering over the cracks really. It's no surprise we're more at ease away from home where there's generally more space, than at home where we're naturally expected to be a bit more adventurous. We have precious little creative quality in our squad, let alone goal scoring ability. The only thing keeping us in it right now is our team spirit and our defensive organisation. Player for player this is by some distance our weakest Premier League squad I've seen since I started following NUFC. I don't subscribe to the notion that Rafa Benitez is some sort of saint who can do no wrong, but it's plain to see he's forced to be pragmatic here and is pretty much wringing everything possible from a Championship squad with maybe a handful of PL quality players. Years and years of underinvestment are taking their toll, and it's painfully clear we are in desperate need of reinforcements. Just imagine for one moment what a difference a creative midfielder like Ben Arfa or a striker like Demba Ba would make to our team and our survival chances. We're a team of plodders, so it should be no surprise we play like one.

Thank fuck lads :thup:

Our squad clearly isnt good enough to be trusted with that attitude. We almost lost it at the end by committing players forward, luckily Bony didn't even have a look before shooting. We're a complete mess defensively when we fail to keep a tight shape and game goes in the "end to end" fashion. The whole thing is based on team structure that tries to hide the weakness of the individuals, lose that even a little bit and everything falls apart.

I guess percentage wise it comes down to how much you value a point in this game vs how likely we're to win/draw/lose by "going for it".

I'm with this. I feel Rafa is just papering over the cracks really. It's no surprise we're more at ease away from home where there's generally more space, than at home where we're naturally expected to be a bit more adventurous. We have precious little creative quality in our squad, let alone goal scoring ability. The only thing keeping us in it right now is our team spirit and our defensive organisation. Player for player this is by some distance our weakest Premier League squad I've seen since I started following NUFC. I don't subscribe to the notion that Rafa Benitez is some sort of saint who can do no wrong, but it's plain to see he's forced to be pragmatic here and is pretty much wringing everything possible from a Championship squad with maybe a handful of PL quality players. Years and years of underinvestment are taking their toll, and it's painfully clear we are in desperate need of reinforcements. Just imagine for one moment what a difference a creative midfielder like Ben Arfa or a striker like Demba Ba would make to our team and our survival chances. We're a team of plodders, so it should be no surprise we play like one.

Also, as I've said in the other thread what do people think will happen if we try to attack teams? [emoji38]

We've no attacking quality whatsoever and our defence is hanging together by a spiders web but aye fuck it lets go at them :anguish:

Also, as I've said in the other thread what do people think will happen if we try to attack teams? [emoji38]

We've no attacking quality whatsoever and our defence is hanging together by a spiders web but aye fuck it lets go at them :anguish:

We were playing the worst team in the league, who have scored 14 goals or something this season, at home. I'm not saying go gung-ho and forget about defending but in that scenario you simply have to go for the win IMO

We've no attacking quality whatsoever and our defence is hanging together by a spiders web but aye f*** it lets go at them :anguish:

We were playing the worst team in the league, who have scored 14 goals or something this season, at home. I'm not saying go gung-ho and forget about defending but in that scenario you simply have to go for the win IMO

Normally I'd agree. However if you then take into consideration how little quality we have going forward and how easily we fall apart defensively when we try and open up the likelihood of zero points rather than all three perhaps becomes a whole lot bigger. So let's assume Rafa's thinking was is it worth taking a 20% shot on a win risking a 50% chance of a loss, would "going for it" given those sort of odds still have been the sensible solution in a game against a fellow relegation threatened team where not losing was perhaps more important than winning? I mean, we've all seen in the first half how clinical our forwards are and that was when there was actually some space for them to move into. I think us piling forward would have suited Swansea just fine. They would have brought Narsingh on sooner and been waiting for their lucky break as we huffed and puffed.

We've no attacking quality whatsoever and our defence is hanging together by a spiders web but aye f*** it lets go at them :anguish:

Normally I'd agree. However if you then take into consideration how little quality we have going forward and how easily we fall apart defensively when we try and open up the likelihood of zero points rather than all three perhaps becomes a whole lot bigger. So let's assume Rafa's thinking was is it worth taking a 20% shot on a win risking a 50% chance of a loss, would "going for it" given those sort of odds still have been the sensible solution in a game against a fellow relegation threatened team where not losing was perhaps more important than winning? I mean, we've all seen in the first half how clinical our forwards are and that was when there was actually some space for them to move into. I think us piling forward would have suited Swansea just fine. They would have brought Narsing on sooner and been waiting for their lucky break as we huffed and puffed.

Rafa will have been wary of what happened two weeks ago when Swansea scored twice in the last 5 minutes to win away at Watford.

Guest neesy111

You won't stay up trying not to lose games though especially with so many teams around us, and tbf to Rafa he hasn't been in a situation like this in his managerial career so he isn't experienced in knowing what to do.  To go 7 home games and only gain 2 points through a 19 home game season is seriously asking for relegation. 

Guest Howaythetoon

I think we play exactly the same way we did first half and we get a comfortable win...

We did the exact opposite and got a draw, just.

We were not gung ho first half, but we were dominant in every way and it was only a matter of time before we scored. That’s until we totally changed the way we were playing after the break.

Meanwhile Swansea draw confidence from this and for us it’s another home game without a win. Now home fans expect a defeat at home or at best a draw so one of our biggest pluses is now already a negative.

I think we play exactly the same way we did first half and we get a comfortable win...

We were not gung ho first half, but we were dominant in every way and it was only a matter of time before we scored. That’s until we totally changed the way we were playing after the break.

Meanwhile Swansea draw confidence from this and for us it’s another home game without a win. Now home fans expect a defeat at home or at best a draw so one of our biggest pluses is now already a negative.

50,000 Geordies of which half are sighing or whinging when things go wrong isn't much of a plus like. Just to be argumentative ...

You won't stay up trying not to lose games though especially with so many teams around us, and tbf to Rafa he hasn't been in a situation like this in his managerial career so he isn't experienced in knowing what to do.  To go 7 home games and only gain 2 points through a 19 home game season is seriously asking for relegation. 

His time at Extremadura didn't happen?

Guest Howaythetoon

Normally I'd agree. However if you then take into consideration how little quality we have going forward and how easily we fall apart defensively when we try and open up the likelihood of zero points rather than all three perhaps becomes a whole lot bigger. So let's assume Rafa's thinking was is it worth taking a 20% shot on a win risking a 50% chance of a loss, would "going for it" given those sort of odds still have been the sensible solution in a game against a fellow relegation threatened team where not losing was perhaps more important than winning? I mean, we've all seen in the first half how clinical our forwards are and that was when there was actually some space for them to move into. I think us piling forward would have suited Swansea just fine. They would have brought Narsing on sooner and been waiting for their lucky break as we huffed and puffed.

Rafa will have been wary of what happened two weeks ago when Swansea scored twice in the last 5 minutes to win away at Watford.

He should be thinking they’ve only scored 14 goals all season, we’ve dominated, created chances and are well on top, more of the same second half. But he probably was thinking they scored twice away to Watford.

So a game we could and should have won comfortably based on the first half becomes a point we kind of did well to get. Sums us up at home under Rafa. Again it’s like he’s happy not to lose at home as if it’s some kind of spring board to success.

He should be thinking they’ve only scored 14 goals all season, we’ve dominated, created chances and are well on top, more of the same second half. But he probably was thinking they scored twice away to Watford.

So a game we could and should have won comfortably based on the first half becomes a point we kind of did well to get. Sums us up at home under Rafa. Again it’s like he’s happy not to lose at home as if it’s some kind of spring board to success.

After 5 straight defeats at home I can understand why he is taking this approach.

Not to jinx it but when he was in this situation, Extremadura went down. As always with Rafa his big brain will know what to do different.

Guest Howaythetoon

50,000 Geordies of which half are sighing or whinging when things go wrong isn't much of a plus like. Just to be argumentative ...

Crowd were generally supportive today, any other manager and the boos and what have you would have been loud and proud given the shot fest of a second half.

Again fans now expect a defeat or a draw at home, even against the likes of Swansea. I’d like Rafa to try and help create a fortress at home. But with this kind of approach and tactics... it’s like we are constantly the underdog, grateful for any scraps or small mercies. Even today myself I’m like well at least we didn’t get beat, howay this is f***ing Swansea at home man.

Guest Howaythetoon

After 5 straight defeats at home I can understand why he is taking this approach.

Perhaps it’s this approach why we lost 5 straight games at home...

Guest neesy111

I'd say the most pressing problem for us is the total lack of goals at home.  1 goal in almost 400 mins of play, if that doesn't improve it doesn't matter how tight we are the back we won't be picking 3 points that often.

Same old story, miss a hat full of chances and scrape a draw.

Should have been 3 up at HT.

How many 'must win' 'relegation 6 pointers' have we actually won now. Can only think of Swansea away.

Stoke away.  Stoke home.  West ham away.

Well apart from that, what have the Romans done for us?

:lol: :thup:

I'd say the most pressing problem for us is the total lack of goals at home.  1 goal in almost 400 mins of play, if that doesn't improve it doesn't matter how tight we are the back we won't be picking 3 points that often.

And why he wanted a better striker and number 10. It's amazing that Ashley and his cronies can't connect the dots after 10 years of seeing football up close, and despite being utterly pathetic, they somehow ended up with a world class manager.

Clueless to the end Ashley, utterly clueless.

Crowd were generally supportive today, any other manager and the boos and what have you would have been loud and proud given the shot fest of a second half.

Again fans now expect a defeat or a draw at home, even against the likes of Swansea. I’d like Rafa to try and help create a fortress at home. But with this kind of approach and tactics... it’s like we are constantly the underdog, grateful for any scraps or small mercies. Even today myself I’m like well at least we didn’t get beat, howay this is f***ing Swansea at home man.

Our fans at home expect too much for me like. I've always hated this mantra of delusion and shit, but our Jonny come lately fans are doing nowt but supporting that mantra for me. It's almost as if we're deliberately trying to complete the PL self fulfilling prophecy..

Not to jinx it but when he was in this situation, Extremadura went down. As always with Rafa his big brain will know what to do different.

Aye. Finished 17th and went down via play offs.

I’d take 17th this season if offered it now.

Guest neesy111

I think everyone would.

Same here  O0

Aye what is just so frustrating is there's likely 2 players, call it 15m-25m each and we're likely picking up about 6-9 more points this season. That's the staggering thing to me, and hell, it could have even just been 1 fucking striker or 1 fucking #10 and we'd be comfortably better. I do feel like I'm very tough on our strikers this season, and Rafa is right, the more money you pay for quality the more you get in return (in theory), but what I simply can't get over is that we're not just creating shots from distance or asking for "magic" like the old Pardew days to get by, we're actually creating a decent  2-3 chances point blank to score in many of these near miss matches, and our strikers are just lacking in quality, confidence, etc.

Why haven't we gone with the front 4 that looked so good at Stoke since then? Looked like we'd finally cracked it in terms of having a fluid attack with good pace, movement and incisiveness, albeit against s**** opposition.

Well this was our first league game since then.

Presume Rafa doesn't think that set up will work at home when we won't have as many chances to counter but I agree, would have liked to see something similar.

Not sure how to approach Man City but should be similar approach to Stoke (or West Ham actually) when we go to Palace.