New TV Deal

I think the domestic rights will plateau now and potentially begin to slide. A lot of people with streaming boxes or at least saying no to subscribing to 2 providers.

However the international rights probably have unlimited growth potential inhibited only by time zone differences.

The streaming boxes are a bigger problem for many Asian Broadcasters. For about GBP80 annually, you can watch ALL EPL games and all other non football channels too. Just go to Aliexpress and you can see the choice of boxes

£36 a year through China telecom.  In HD too.

I've been hoping for about the last 3 deals that Sky would offer "season tickets" for individual teams for all games. I guess there are clubs who are scared home attendances would suffer but they could easily restrict it to outside a certain distance to allay that.

Wallsendmag would go around hunting down the TV ST holders to personally tell them how terrible they are.

Guest neesy111

I've been hoping for about the last 3 deals that Sky would offer "season tickets" for individual teams for all games. I guess there are clubs who are scared home attendances would suffer but they could easily restrict it to outside a certain distance to allay that.

It's impossible for them to do that under current laws.

There is no law preventing them from showing 3pm Saturday KO's. There is an agreement between TV broadcasters and the FA to not show any live football between 3pm and 5pm, but no law. It is often incorrectly reported to as a law though.

As for the argument, I see no reason why season ticket holders shouldn't be given a stream for away matches, or at least let the clubs themselves and possible a select number of pubs near the club to show away matches.

Wallsendmag would go around hunting down the TV ST holders to personally tell them how terrible they are.

Very confused by your hatred of fans that go to matches

There is no law preventing them from showing 3pm Saturday KO's. There is an agreement between TV broadcasters and the FA to not show any live football between 3pm and 5pm, but no law. It is often incorrectly reported to as a law though.

As for the argument, I see no reason why season ticket holders shouldn't be given a stream for away matches, or at least let the clubs themselves and possible a select number of pubs near the club to show away matches.

I know Sky can control content on a postcode basis so they could do it if the 3pm agreement was moot.

I've always considered it a bit untested and presumptive anyway - if I controlled a non-league club and was told I'd lose fans who'd rather watch  another team I'd bid them farewell.

Very confused by your hatred of fans that go to matches

Would be a bizarre hatred, as I am a ST holder myself.

• 3 months later...

The Premier League has succeeded in attracting a new online player to pay for live rights to top-flight football, albeit at a heavily discounted price.

It is understood that the two packages of matches which failed to meet their reserve prices in an auction in February have now been sold.

According to industry sources BT has secured one of the packages and the other has fallen to a new rival. The identity of the new Premier League broadcaster is due to be unveiled at a meeting of top clubs on Thursday, with speculation still focused on Amazon and Facebook.

I think the domestic rights will plateau now and potentially begin to slide. A lot of people with streaming boxes or at least saying no to subscribing to 2 providers.

However the international rights probably have unlimited growth potential inhibited only by time zone differences.

The streaming boxes are a bigger problem for many Asian Broadcasters. For about GBP80 annually, you can watch ALL EPL games and all other non football channels too. Just go to Aliexpress and you can see the choice of boxes

£36 a year through China telecom.  In HD too.

I'm paying a bit more than that (but everything is expensive in Australia). For A$15 per month I can watch all PL matches, plus (at least) daily shows (that I think are Sky) with two catches: only half of the games are available "on demand", so sometimes I have to get up at 2am if I want to watch the Toon game) and you can't get it as a standalone; it needs to be attached to another Optus (private phone/internet company) product. This ended up meaning I have to get a second phone that I rarely use and means I'm actually paying A$40 a month to watch the football (because the phone and internet deals I already had were considerably better than their offerings).

For the first time ever, I'm genuinely considering cancelling my Sky subscription.  I never thought I would, but it's just getting harder and harder to justify the cost and I know loads of people in the same boat.  Convinced this tv bubble will burst in the not too distant future.

In related news the clubs have voted for the international distribution ratio to be changed from 1.6x to 1.8x (ie the top club earns 1.8x the bottom club).

The rich get richer.

In related news the clubs have voted for the international distribution ratio to be changed from 1.6x to 1.8x (ie the top club earns 1.8x the bottom club).

The rich get richer.

How the fuck do 14 or more clubs vote for that?

Top 6 ok, us because of a cunt owner. Everyone else though?