Newcastle United 1 - 1 Royal Antwerp - 18/03/18 - Post-thing reaction from pg8

Disco

Was it Royal Antwerp we beat 5-0 away in Europe back in the halcyon days, Bobby Lee got 3 I think.  Their manager said we were the best side in Europe at the time... how times change

Yeah, I went to that one. Was class, 14 and my Dad took me on the bus there. Beer tents outside and a big concrete stadium.

That 5-2 game is etched in my memory, because the chronicle mentioned the fact that it was 100-1 for 5-2 and I thought that scoreline was highly likely. I didn't put the bet on and I didn't go to the game.Instead I went to the bingo at the Black Bull in Wardley.

We won 4 pints or something.

Huh?  You thought 5-2 in a return leg where we'd won 5-0 first leg was highly likely?

Yeah, the tie was already won, so they would probably get a couple, and we'd already scored five at their place so that wasn't out of the question.

I wouldn't have considered it for a moment if the chronnie hadn't mentioned it.

Right, I see.  The Chronicle highlighted it as a decent bet you mean?

Most return legs in that scenario are damp squibs it seems to me, you rarely see another thrashing the same way.

Did you ever go to a match under Keegan, expecting a damp squib?

Most return legs in that scenario are damp squibs it seems to me, you rarely see another thrashing the same way.

Well yeah there were plenty tbh, it wasn't all 5-0s and 5-2s.  I can't recall us ever winning another match 5-2 either, it might have happened but there will be 1 or 2 more over the last 25 years on account of it being one of the most unusual scorelines in football.

Well yeah there were plenty tbh, it wasn't all 5-0s and 5-2s.  I can't recall us ever winning another match 5-2 either, it might have happened but there will be 1 or 2 more over the last 25 years on account of it being one of the most unusual scorelines in football.

There may have been many that manifested but did you ever expect them? We weren't dubbed 'the entertainers' because we resembled American variety acts of the 1960s.