Group D - Argentina, Iceland, Croatia, Nigeria - CRO & ARG advance

Wullie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest neesy111

For those with more knowledge of SA football, is the shambles behind the scenes going on still with the Argentine FA?

Some context for those who don't know how bad Argentina were without Messi during qualifiers.

As noted by South American football expert Tim Vickery, Messi missed eight rounds of qualification and Argentina collected just seven points in those games. In the 10 qualifiers he played, Argentina won 21 points. Messi's hat-trick in the final qualification match against Ecuador ensured his team reached Russia, and his seven goals made him the team's top scorer by a distance - no other Argentina player managed more than two goals in the campaign.

I mean it's obvious just watching the games, they are absolutely terrible. I don't know how anyone can watch the games and expect anything else, no player is making a difference IMO.

At least when they got to the final in 2014 there was a semblance of a team, there's nothing here this time it's all shit.

Guest neesy111

They could defend in 2014 tbf. Sampaoli is too mental to set a team up like that

How did he do it with Chile, or did he just inherit one?

They could defend in 2014 tbf. Sampaoli is too mental to set a team up like that

Argentina don't have the players to play that kind of mad pressing game

3-4-3/3-4-1-2 with two pretty good wingbacks in Isla and Beausejour.

Guest neesy111

Banega was on the bench for some reason.

Laughable bollocks

Completely forgotten how in 2014 Messi won best player of the tournament.

Also, they are such completely different players nowadays.  Ronnie is essentially a number 9 nowadays, the best ever at pure goalscoring. 

Messi has went deeper, so won't get the same amount of goals Ronaldo will get but he's much more involved in how the team plays with Barcelona.

I really believe Messi had his best ever season at Barcelona just gone, to win the domestic double with ease with for me the worst Barca side for a decade deserves pure appreciation.

If Germany and Brazil stutter in match 2 you could easily argue that these massive footballing institutions entered this world cup with very little preparation and a fuck load of ego.

Guest neesy111

The fact she's suggesting that he's only good because of that midfield is ridiculous

Barca's midfield nowadays is a shadow of what it was.

Banega was on the bench for some reason.

Laughable bollocks

Horseshit. Messi is undeniably fantastic.

He's not fantastic in any system but that's true for most players.

If Germany and Brazil stutter in match 2 you could easily argue that these massive footballing institutions entered this world cup with very little preparation and a fuck load of ego.

Would love it if we beat Germany on Saturday. Doubt we will, but you never know in football. Just need our lightning fast strikers to finish them off on the counter.

Messi's prime was about 2010/11/12 IMO and Ronaldo will never get near that level. At the moment as much as it pains me to say it Ronaldo is more effective in big games mainly because of his physique

Guest neesy111

If Germany and Brazil stutter in match 2 you could easily argue that these massive footballing institutions entered this world cup with very little preparation and a f*** load of ego.

Not sure about that.  I think this Germany side is well past its peak, Brazil did think they would beat Switzerland but the Swiss have a habit of picking up big scalps in opening games.

Got a draw Vs us in euro 96 and beat Spain in 2010.

I think Argentina lost almost every qualifier Messi didn't appear in. It's just a really poor all round side. Players like Aguero carry more blame than Messi, he's one of the best and most prolific strikers in the world and yet he doesn't look any better than the ringers from Boca.

Individually there's a lot of good players in there, they're just not a team. Ultimately I feel that is down to the coach. There's no unity there, maybe some players have bought into their own media hype, I don't know.

That wasn't a well drilled side playing for each other, or for a nation come to that.

I'd love to pick Rafa's brains on that performance. It was horrific. Don't want to take anything away from Croatia though, they played well, cleverly.

(Thought Argentina were way dirtier than Croatia to someone who suggested they were cheating higher up the page).

The fact she's suggesting that he's only good because of that midfield is ridiculous

Just as suggesting that he wasn't good tonight or against Iceland because of the midfield is not up to his standards.