Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

I don't rate him, certainly not as a starter, but I would be happy to keep him around as a squad option and/or sell him for a fee to fund a replacement. 

Any sale is pure profit as well, isn't it? So letting him go for free has an opportunity cost there. 

3 minutes ago, Funtime Frankie said:

I reckon there will be a few clubs interested. Everton or a Leeds would be interested

There would definitely be clubs who would buy him as long as he fit within their wage structure. This is where we have to be careful with offering a new contract, because if he goes on a wage that only top clubs will pay, we won't be able to sell him. Just look at how we can't shift the likes of Almiron or Targett as examples of this.

I'd like to think the club have learned the lesson of just extending a player's contract because it's either a) too much hassle to properly scout a better replacement and/or b) he's a canny lad so let's just keep him around. 

Seen it happen to Hayden and Gayle albeit under the previous regime. People will dispute what Longstaff offers these days, I'm firmly on the side of 'nowhere near enough'. I couldn't justify extending him and I'd take the best offer for him and look for his replacement tomorrow. It's harsh but I think the club needs to improve and I honestly don't see Longstaff being a part of that. I'd love him to be great but he just isn't

5 hours ago, midds said:

I'd like to think the club have learned the lesson of just extending a player's contract because it's either a) too much hassle to properly scout a better replacement and/or b) he's a canny lad so let's just keep him around. 

Seen it happen to Hayden and Gayle albeit under the previous regime. People will dispute what Longstaff offers these days, I'm firmly on the side of 'nowhere near enough'. I couldn't justify extending him and I'd take the best offer for him and look for his replacement tomorrow. It's harsh but I think the club needs to improve and I honestly don't see Longstaff being a part of that. I'd love him to be great but he just isn't

I generally agree but it's a very different situation to those players you mention. One, he's not quite as bad as them. And two, we extended those people purely so we didn't need to sign anyone, this regime is not going to be doing things like that. 

He didn't impress tonight against a League Two team mind, which is concerning :lol:

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I generally agree but it's a very different situation to those players you mention. One, he's not quite as bad as them. And two, we extended those people purely so we didn't need to sign anyone, this regime is not going to be doing things like that. 

He didn't impress tonight against a League Two team mind, which is concerning :lol:

This is the very reason we need to be brave and just let him move on. If he'd switched shirts at Ht and come out wearing a blue one then I'd be astonished if any of our fans would have realised. We've got to be aiming a bit higher. Surely??

3 minutes ago, midds said:

This is the very reason we need to be brave and just let him move on. If he'd switched shirts at Ht and come out wearing a blue one then I'd be astonished if any of our fans would have realised. We've got to be aiming a bit higher. Surely??

Yeah of course, at some point. Question is just how many signings we want to make and/or not losing any profit we could get by selling him in the future. 

I understand either way TBH, but I’m sure we’ll extend him. 

How much would you get for Longstaff though? I don’t see anyone paying 8 figures for him. Signing on fees, agents fees, loyalty bonus, extra wages etc…..is it worth it?

Also, is there even a willingness to sell him within the club? I’d like to think they don’t see him as being a part of the plan moving forward, but you never know 

5 hours ago, midds said:

Unfortunately Eddie seems to like to 'rewarding' those loyal to him with new contracts - today's match was just another example of our squad not being good enough and Longstaff is a part of that. 

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Yeah of course, at some point. Question is just how many signings we want to make and/or not losing any profit we could get by selling him in the future. 

Yeah I get that, not disagreeing. 

I just fail to see the benefit of extending a player who isn't producing anything of note. He's trying his best but it just isn't happening and I don't think it ever will, we do need bodies in the squad to pad it out but keeping players who simply aren't capable of offering anything is just taking up a squad place for the sake of it.

It's harsh but I'd let him go for whatever someone is daft enough to pay

24 minutes ago, duo said:

Unfortunately Eddie seems to like to 'rewarding' those loyal to him with new contracts - today's match was just another example of our squad not being good enough and Longstaff is a part of that. 

Agree. And if Howe extends his contract then I'll put it down as a mistake on Howe's part too and he'll need to own it.

Him staying or leaving should be based on his talent and what he will offer the club on the pitch for the next 4 years. Being a canny lad and a good pro just isn't enough

The squad is still wafer thin. Without Longstaff, who is proven as a competent PL cm there is only Joelinton, Bruno, Willock, Tonali with Miley coming through. with 433 Howe typically uses 5 CMs every game, so the squad needs 6 ideally 7 CMs to have any injury or suspension cover.

so do you really want to buy a backup CM next summer and take that budget away from CB and RW? Good chance anyone who comes in to replace him will be a similiar level, as the offer and budget is come be a backup. Lo ngstaff has only played so much as Tonali got himself a season long suspension

He may want to leave given the toxic element of the fan base is targeting him every game and he could go elsewhere and start. There’s a few players who got grief at Newcastle but had decent careers elsewhere, be the next Dan Gosling. But if he goes you can chop £10m off the budget for RW and CB to replace him.

10 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

His wages are going to be significantly higher than some prospect we could potentially sign if we give him a new contract. How much would Kobbie Mainoo have been earning a couple of years ago? This is the trade off if we want to keep him around in the squad on decent wages. He'll end up taking up the place of someone who could have a much higher ceiling.

Come to think of it, I really don't like our midfield balance despite thinking we have some very good and talented / unique players there 

We never look good without Bruno, big Joe and little Joe can't play together in a 3, and seemingly can't play on the right hand side. Longstaff is our weakest and least talented, but one of our most trusted & reliable in a positional sense 

I think we have to give him a new contract, primarily so we don't lose him on a free, and I think getting a back up midfielder would be a waste of money considering our PSR situation and priorities, Tonali still working his way into the team etc 

Just now, janpawel said:

Come to think of it, I really don't like our midfield balance despite thinking we have some very good and talented / unique players there 

We never look good without Bruno, big Joe and little Joe can't play together in a 3, and seemingly can't play on the right hand side. Longstaff is our weakest and least talented, but one of our most trusted & reliable in a positional sense 

I think we have to give him a new contract, primarily so we don't lose him on a free, and I think getting a back up midfielder would be a waste of money considering our PSR situation and priorities, Tonali still working his way into the team etc 

Tonali is a guaranteed starter now. 

I think Tonali is going to solve our midfield issues. Bruno, Jow and Tonali should be more than enough to dominate most sides in the middle, with Miley coming back to push for a place there. If three of the four above are playing and get used to playing together then we’ll see us control games more and more 

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Tonali is a guaranteed starter now. 

Midfield would look 100 times better with Tonali and Bruno sitting and a new attacking midfielder brought in.

Or a new number 6 to sit behind Tonali and Bruno.

The problem is, we have neither a number 6 or a number 10 in our squad. We'll never have balance without either of those.