Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

Playing an injured Longstaff, who is offering nothing out there over a fit Miley, on the grounds of having to look after him because he is only 17 is baffling.

6 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Playing an injured Longstaff, who is offering nothing out there over a fit Miley, on the grounds of having to look after him because he is only 17 is baffling.

Huh? 

Zoom out a bit and reflect on what you are saying 

Baffling!

There's an established precedent for not running promising academy players into the ground. It's not as if Miley is miles better than him, either, decent though he is. 

Just now, Yorkie said:

Baffling!

There's an established precedent for not running promising academy players into the ground. It's not as if Miley is miles better than him, either, decent though he is. 

How would playing him equate to running him in to the ground? Especially when we are playing once a week.

Are Zaire-Emery and Kobbie Mainoo being ran in to the ground by being regular starters for their club? Or is it that they are good enough so should play?

Maybe they are 18 which suddenly makes a world of difference when you blow the candles out on the cake.

What nonsense.

I think Eddie alluded to the fact that Longstaff has been playing below-par, in his press conference, without actually saying "Yeh he's been average".

Fair play if he has been playing through injury, but without being harsh, playing through a niggle isn't ideal, but I am pretty sure that doesn't result in you lacking impulse, mis-placing 6 yard passes and falling over every 5 minutes.

32 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Are Zaire-Emery and Kobbie Mainoo being ran in to the ground by being regular starters for their club? Or is it that they are good enough so should play?

Maybe they are 18 which suddenly makes a world of difference when you blow the candles out on the cake.

What nonsense.

The difference between 17 and 18 is a lot greater than the difference between 27 and 28; it's a critical period of growth as a human let alone a footballer. It's not a good comparator anyway, seeing as Miley has played far more football this season than Mainoo - at absolutely ridiculous intensity during some stretches, too.

Of course he was going to be rested as soon as it was possible for the manager to do so. 

2023/2024 - Lamine Yarmal - 16 years old - 2136 minutes played

Edit - Only Gundogan has made more appearances this season in their whole squad.

Edited by HawK

2023/2024 - Lewis Miley - 17 years old - 1701 minutes played

13 less appearances than Yamarl and 415 less minutes played.

11 players have played more minutes than Miley this season.

6 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

The difference between 17 and 18 is a lot greater than the difference between 27 and 28; it's a critical period of growth as a human let alone a footballer. It's not a good comparator anyway, seeing as Miley has played far more football this season than Mainoo - at absolutely ridiculous intensity during some stretches, too.

Of course he was going to be rested as soon as it was possible for the manager to do so. 

As Hawk points out, Barcelona have played Yarmel consistently at 16 years of age so what is it we are protecting Miley from?

I am not saying he should be starting week in and week out by the way, what I am saying is leaving him out due to age in favour of someone you acknowledge is injured and offering nothing to the team is ridiculous.

What he should be doing is leaving Longstaff on the bench for Miley until after the International break to try and recover from the injury, I don’t think that is any way radical thinking.

1 minute ago, HawK said:

2023/2024 - Lamine Yarmal - 16 years old - 2136 minutes played

Edit - Only Gundogan has made more appearances this season in their whole squad.

3 minutes ago, HawK said:

2023/2024 - Lewis Miley - 17 years old - 1701 minutes played

13 less appearances than Yamarl and 415 less minutes played.

11 players have played more minutes than Miley this season.

What does any of this prove? That we shouldn't bother to take care with a young prospect?

Daftest thing about this debate is that he's still featuring in every game. The difference in contributions between him and Longstaff are negligible anyway. 

6 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

What does any of this prove? That we shouldn't bother to take care with a young prospect?

Daftest thing about this debate is that he's still featuring in every game. The difference in contributions between him and Longstaff are negligible anyway. 

It proves that age itself is irrelevant, if a player is ready, they're ready. I think you can make an argument for maturity, physical development, player's game not being rounded enough etc. (the further back you play from the front, generally the more experienced you need to be), but purely based on age alone you don't need to protect people.

Howe might have meant things like that behind protecting him over 'age', but I can only go one what he's actually said.

8 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

If the difference is negligible and and he is featuring in every game anyway, why do you see it as the right move to start Longstaff when he is injured, rather than giving him a few games to recover?

Just now, HawK said:

It proves that age itself is irrelevant, if a player is ready, they're ready. I think you can make an argument for maturity, physical development, player's game not being rounded enough etc. (the further back you play from the front, generally the more experienced you need to be), but purely based on age alone you don't need to protect people.

Howe might have meant things like that behind protecting him over 'age', but I can only go one what he's actually said.

I take your point but imo it proves that Lamine Yamal is ready and absolutely nothing other than that.

Playing with injury so the club runs him into the ground. Lovely stuff. 

I'd be fizzing if I were a player the way they've been treated this season. 

Sheesh, never through protecting one of our greatest prospects would kick up a backlash. 

Who knows how any of the players above will turn out, but there are 1000s of stories of "wonderkids" not being looked after and disappearing into obscurity.

Also, I trust Eddie to do the right thing by the lad, given he knows him and his family better than anyone on here.
People forget there is an actual human being under there. They would prefer to sacrifice him for the sake of their entertainment.

Edited by arnonel

People moaning about the need to becareful with Miley's minutes need to see the bigger picture. The damage isn't done immediately, it gets felt later on in their career when they start to drop off at a younger age than the players who weren't playing week in, week out till their early 20's, rather than at 17/18. 

I'm not sure Barca are a positive example you want to use here, are they? I could just be thinking of Fati but feels like they've had a habit of introducing youngsters early who have struggled with injuries in subsequent seasons.

Edited by Gallowgate Toon