Newcastle United 0-0 Fulham - 22/12/2018 - post match discussion from page 9

Greg

That handball from Lascelles is arguable, but I wanna point out that if VAR was there then it must be a penalty. That’s the problem of VAR where players intention will always be ignored.

Good point that.

When VAR is in use, could we get a situation where attackers delibarately try to kick the ball at defenders arms in the box and claim penalty?

I am all for VAR by the way, but it will obviously have some downsides.

That handball from Lascelles is arguable, but I wanna point out that if VAR was there then it must be a penalty. That’s the problem of VAR where players intention will always be ignored.

If it isn't 100% obvious and the VAR team aren't sure then the ref can view it and decide for himself.

If it isn't 100% obvious and the VAR team aren't sure then the ref can view it and decide for himself.

Mike Dean will love that shit.

Good point that.

When VAR is in use, could we get a situation where attackers delibarately try to kick the ball at defenders arms in the box and claim penalty?

I am all for VAR by the way, but it will obviously have some downsides.

Yes why not? If they're skilful enough to hit their target and the arms or hand were not tight on the body, it should be a penalty. IMO the whole intention thing is arbitrary and doesn't really work. The best way to handle penalty decisions (hehe) is to determine whether or not the arm or hand changed the direction of the ball. It's simple and eliminates second guessing. VAR will help tremendously with this as slow motion replays will help the ref decide. If more penalties are given as a result then so be it. It's the only solution as it stops inept refs/bent refs from making decisions in their own little world.

I'm all for playing 3 att the back. But the reason to do it is to get our wingbacks as far up as possible and to have 3 central midfielders.

We can't have both wingbacks and wingers on the pitch at the same time. If we need to defend with more than 3 it should be the more defensive central midfielder who should drop down to central defence and one of the central defenders to be a fullback.

This must be the best way to play at home against the teams at the bottom half of the table where we must dictate the game and play offensive football and will easily get the crowd behind and make it a very difficult away game for the other team.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

I'm all for playing 3 att the back. But the reason to do it is to get our wingbacks as far up as possible and to have 3 central midfielders.

We can't have both wingbacks and wingers on the pitch at the same time. If we need to defend with more than 3 it should be the more defensive central midfielder who should drop down to central defence and one of the central defenders to be a fullback.

This must be the best way to play at home against the teams at the bottom half of the table where we must dictate the game and play offensive football and will easily get the crowd behind and make it a very difficult away game for the other team.

Have you emailed this to Rafa? Our Champions League winning manager might need your tactical help

Have you emailed this to Rafa? Our Champions League winning manager might need your tactical help

I might actually do that.

He seems to be needing some help at the moment.😉

It's not like he have won any champions league here🤔

Shite performance, shite spectacle, shite atmosphere. Just shite. Problems with quality and creativity rearing that we knew since August 2017 are still rearing their head in games we have to be picking points up in. They should've nicked it with those chances in the last 10. Awful. At least we're not at Anfield next week.

Just seen MOTD and i thought our pen claim was gonna be more blatent than that, i'd be annoyed if it was given against us.

Lascelles was handball but ball to hand.

Maybe the ref got both right.

The lad clearly tugged Kenedy otherwise he would have had a great chance of getting onto the end of that cross. Blatant pen. Whereas their claim was shite, the ball was blasted straight at Lascelles from close range. Sometimes wonder what's going on when neutral pundits are seeing things in our favour rather than the fans.

I didn't think there's or ours were penalties.

Lascelles had his arm right against his chest and Kenedy was tangling with their defender as much as he was tangling with Kenedy.

Awful game, we could have played until midnight and still have broken them down.

Still though, if we'd drew 0-0 at Huddersfield and beat Fulham 1-0 there'd be less grumbling.