Inter-Toto

Guest MalcolmSm1th

do they really think the intertoto cup counts,or are we just trying to fool ourselves into thinking we actually won something with any importence  :confused:

i mean FFS we won't be even in it next year unless we somehow manage to finsih 7th again..

would be something if they give us a place in it though blueyes.gif

do they really think the intertoto cup counts,or are we just trying to fool ourselves into thinking we actually won something with any importence  :confused:

I think it's the Sun taking the piss

in the sun tomorrow, headline is 'toon win a trophy (official) 37 years of hurt over'

Innacurate bastards, we won the First Division in 93 ffs. Bigger achievement that the Vase.

Sarcasm from the Mirror:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=finda-key-to-trophy-cabinet--%26method=full%26objectid=18272458%26siteid=94762-name_page.html

FINDA KEY TO TROPHY CABINET!

UEFA Cup draw...It's party time for Newcastle Toon get their hands on a cup at last

Simon Bird

GLENN Roeder has finally broken Newcastle's trophy drought and clinched...the InterToto Cup.

In a moment that will make every Geordie weep (with pity), Scott Parker will hoist the trophy aloft at St James' Park.

UEFA last night confirmed a plan to hand over the glittering honour before United's UEFA Cup last-32 tie against Belgian side Zulte Waregem on February 22.

Advertisement

The search is now on for the keys to the club's trophy cabinet.

No open-top bus parade to mark the occasion has yet been scheduled.

The unlikely news of silverware heading to the North East was broken to Roeder yesterday afternoon and he replied: "A cup is a cup."

BBC and Sky Sports are picking up on the news  :thup: :lol:

Newcastle to lift Intertoto Cup

Newcastle will collect their first trophy in 37 years when they are awarded the 2006 Intertoto Cup.

Glenn Roeder's side are the winners as they are the last surviving Intertoto entrants in the Uefa Cup.

"We will be very happy to receive it," said Roeder. "It would be disrespectful to consider it a lesser tournament, as some managers do."

Uefa has revealed there is likely to be a presentation before Newcastle's next Uefa Cup home tie on 22 February.

The trophy is Newcastle's first since the Fairs Cup in 1969.

The Magpies won a two-legged tie against Lillestrom in July to go through to the qualifying stages of the Uefa Cup.

Roeder added: "This is a little bit of a reward for the boys who had to come back on 26 June to play in the competition."

The Magpies face Belgian side Zulte-Waregem in the last 32 of the Uefa Cup in February.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/6185511.stm

Guest mattywestall

at least its a start ........ even if its only the intertoto tongue.gif

Uefa have confirmed that Newcastle United have officially won the 2006 InterToto Cup.

The trophy means it is the first piece of silverware Newcastle have picked up since their Fairs Cup win in 1969 - although they did lift the Texaco Cup in 1975.

Newcastle take the honour as they are the only side to have come through the InterToto Cup to still be in the Uefa Cup.

"It's very likely there will be a ceremony and presentation before their next Uefa Cup tie at St James' Park," said a Uefa spokesman.

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder added: "Someone mentioned it to me at the gate.

"I would imagine the lads will be pleased to receive it. It would be disrespectful to consider it a lesser tournament, as some managers do.

"We will be very happy to receive the InterToto Cup. I would not want to say anything that would be unkind to it. A cup is a cup.

"It's a little bit of a reward for the boys who had to come back on June 26 to play in the competition.

"And don't forget we went from 14th to 7th between February and May last season to qualify. Now we have to move on. We have other important games in front of us."

Didn't we ever win the Anglo-Italian Cup?

Yes we did, but it hadn't been 30 odd years since our last trophy win so it wasn't such a piss take as it is today, I think we won it in '73 or '74'ish.

Shame they're taking the mick, like i said earlier - we won it fair and square. Can't really blame them, i suppose.

What's more of a shame though, is that Roeder doesn't regard it as a 'lesser tournament'.  bluesigh.gif

Guest smoggeordie

Oh my god, brand new information.

ok calm down only thought id share that info with you no need to get clever

I can't calm down, i'm just too happy with this new news.

Shame they're taking the mick, like i said earlier - we won it fair and square. Can't really blame them, i suppose.

What's more of a shame though, is that Roeder doesn't regard it as a 'lesser tournament'.  bluesigh.gif

To be fair it was pretty clear what Roeder really thought, he was just being respectful.