Scott Parker is ....

Crumpy Gunt

It's pretty funny how Toon fans can turn their backs against a player who's been one of the absolute best in the ealier season...

TBH...Parker can't handle the captaincy and with his spinning around I guess he's trying to do Makelele's and dictate the tempo but has got a wrong meaning for the word. No doubt that he's still an excellent player but there's something very wrong with his playing role and natural one this season...but that's easy to put on Roeder's and his tactical inability's fault!

Sure there are shortcomings in Parker's play, but there are also advantages brought by Parker to our team. The "grip" is significantly better with Parker around. And that's exactly Parker's job.

Is Nicky Butt any better? His passes are wayward often. Of course I appreciate his vision and initiation. But if the ball falls to Parker's leg, I would rather Parker use the ball wisely, ie keep the ball and not giving the ball away. After all, long range passing, throughpassing etc is not biggest strength.

Stop blaming players who have given 100%. They can't do what they cannot do.

We lose the game, in my opinion, due to the conservative play of Glenn Roeder.

He should have taken the ineffective Dyer off and put in Rossi, who play admirably against Chelsea recently. And no I don't agree that Sib should start. Against a narrow powerful midfield Roeder did well by playing both Butt and Parker in the middle. We frustrated Chelsea and our wing play by Milner and Solano  are constant threat. However, Dyer is not playing well as a winger. Either put him upfront with Martin, or put him in the middle ahead of Butt and Parker.

If you were at the game you would have seen that Dyer was actually outstanding tonight as a man marker.

Wherever Bridge went, Dyer went.

Meant he had no attacking threat, but did the job he looked to have been ordered to do superbly.

Oh aye, and Scott Parker is fucking GASH.

I have a bit of time for him but have to agree re: the pirouette/holding on to the ball too long comments. At times he reminds me of Robert Lee when Lee was past his sell-by-date a bit and would get caught in possession a lot. In any case, Butt and Emre look like the best central midfield partnership and shoud not be split up just to accommodate Parker at present.

Play Parker or Butt as the defensive midfielder but not both, and make sure Parker knows that Emre is our midfield playmaker.

Agreed. Roeder made a bad move by giving him a more attacking role this year, it simply disturbed his and Emre's game. (Therefore the whole team)

Just shows how clueless Roeder is.

Agree 100%.

Guest Kenton Magpie

Parker is now Nufc's favourite scapegoat, he isnt the best player ever to grace SJP but by no means he is the worst, cut the lad some slack!

Parker is now Nufc's favourite scapegoat, he isnt the best player ever to grace SJP but by no means he is the worst, cut the lad some slack!

I think the thing that gets people (me anyway) is the captaincy issue. He does basically fuck all, does fuck all talking/encouragement, spends a good 50% of the game on his arse and/or ball-watching, does naive shit things that aren't needed, like chasing a COMPLETE lost cause and leaving the centre of the park open, has some fixation with doing the Cruyff turn about 5 times if a player comes to jockey him and seems to play the wrong option EVERY time.

All of which I would perhaps expect from a Huntington or Carroll, but not the player who is supposed to be leading by example FFS.

The fact that he has scored a few goals this season tends to blind some people about the clear flaws in his game, and are probably the people who scream and clap like tarded seals whenever one of his uneeded slide tackles come off.

2 Million and Parker to City for Barton would do nicely.

Guest Imperio

His play is too one-dimensional, you can tell that as soon as he goes over the half way line he's 85% more likely to give the ball away.

Decent player but needs to work more on his attacking play because there have been a few times in the past few games where he has taken his time on the ball when we could have been on the counter-attack.

Play Parker or Butt as the defensive midfielder but not both, and make sure Parker knows that Emre is our midfield playmaker.

Emre was just hitting top form and I think it was down to Roeder massaging the Turks ego by telling him that he was the man to pull the strings in midfield. Now Parker's back Emre seems to have taken a step backwards.

Parker can't play the defensive role. Or the playmaker role. But never mind......perhaps Roeder hasn't thought of massaging his ego yet, despite doing it for Emre.

Guest shaun11177

This is just knee jerk bullshit,so Parker had a bad game,against Fulham he was everybodys hero.

Parker has been messed about in respect of what Managers Souness and Roeder actually want from the bloke,your a defensive midfielder dont step over the half way line to can you do a bit of both,to you are now the attacking midfielder a role he hasnt played since he was at Charlton.

This is Martind all over again, a few games ago he was a waste of money!

This is just knee jerk bullshit,so Parker had a bad game,against Fulham he was everybodys hero.

Parker has been messed about in respect of what Managers Souness and Roeder actually want from the bloke,your a defensive midfielder dont step over the half way line to can you do a bit of both,to you are now the attacking midfielder a role he hasnt played since he was at Charlton.

This is Martind all over again, a few games ago he was a waste of money!

Bollocks, tbh.

You must be new here.

Sure there are shortcomings in Parker's play, but there are also advantages brought by Parker to our team. The "grip" is significantly better with Parker around. And that's exactly Parker's job.

Is Nicky Butt any better? His passes are wayward often. Of course I appreciate his vision and initiation. But if the ball falls to Parker's leg, I would rather Parker use the ball wisely, ie keep the ball and not giving the ball away. After all, long range passing, throughpassing etc is not biggest strength.

He should have taken the ineffective Dyer off and put in Rossi, who play admirably against Chelsea recently. And no I don't agree that Sib should start. Against a narrow powerful midfield Roeder did well by playing both Butt and Parker in the middle. We frustrated Chelsea and our wing play by Milner and Solano  are constant threat. However, Dyer is not playing well as a winger. Either put him upfront with Martin, or put him in the middle ahead of Butt and Parker.

If you were at the game you would have seen that Dyer was actually outstanding tonight as a man marker.

Meant he had no attacking threat, but did the job he looked to have been ordered to do superbly.

Oh aye, and Scott Parker is f***ing GASH.

Dyer was pretty shite, tbh.

Did he spill your drink?

Guest Darth Toon

I agree with the opinion that his game has become messed up by confusion over his most effective role.

At Chelsea, Mourinho saw him as a defensive midfielder and eventual replacement for Makelele, and this is the role we should use him in, IMO.

On current form he should be behind Butt in the pecking order (Butt also seemed to be doing the captain's job last night as well - plenty organising and cajoling) with Butt and Emre our preferred pairing, and if Emre is missing, use Dyer or N'Zogbia in the AM role.

If Parker and Emre do play together, then it has to be Emre pushing on and Parker holding - anything else just doesn't make sense.

Did he spill your drink?

I doubt it, he was playing football (although not very well, granted).

I don't think i've ever had a drink spilt by a footballer. Not a professional one, anyway.

Thanks for asking though. Its nice that people care about my drink)

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

Solano has been true captain material lately and I would continue with him at right back regardless of when Carr returns. Therefore, as a guaranteed starter, I'd give him the armband. He showed today what an intelligent player he is and a calm head. He has the respect of the players and the fans which is essential.

Parker's pirouette is his biggest shortcoming as a player and he needs to sort it out asap. He has a lot in his locker but the ability to turn defence into attack in an instant is what the Premiership is all about. He must release the ball much much quicker. At the moment he holds up our counter attacks and it isn't that surprising that we have been countering with greater urgency when he hasn't been in midfield.

It's a minor nuisance to his game though, and on his day he is still a top quality central midfielder capable of bossing the midfield. Just because we haven't got our team to click yet I certainly wouldn't write him off, this was his first game back from injury.

Like many I nominated him to be captain but I'd have to say he hasn't been the best choice. For me, going on this season's performances, Solano or Given should be captain. A captain needn't be a central player, Neville captains Man Utd from right back and they're top of the table.

:thup: :thup:

Emre was just hitting top form and I think it was down to Roeder massaging the Turks ego by telling him that he was the man to pull the strings in midfield. Now Parker's back Emre seems to have taken a step backwards.

Parker can't play the defensive role. Or the playmaker role. But never mind......perhaps Roeder hasn't thought of massaging his ego yet, despite doing it for Emre.

Your usual negative bullshit.

Your standards have gone into orbit if you think Parker is not good enough for us. He's a current England international, he was the main man for Charlton in the Premiership for several seasons, Mourinho spent millions getting him to Chelski, but all this means nothing because HTL has pronounced that he's just not good enough for us.  :roll:

The lads still a good player, I just think that the management aren't managing him correctly.

Ranieri signed Parker.

Mourinho didn't rate him.

Your standards have gone into orbit if you think Parker is not good enough for us. He's a current England international, he was the main man for Charlton in the Premiership for several seasons, Mourinho spent millions getting him to Chelski, but all this means nothing because HTL has pronounced that he's just not good enough for us.  :roll:

The lads still a good player, I just think that the management aren't managing him correctly.

He was good for Charlton for ONE season only. That's the bit of bullshit around here.

BTW I expect it from you, but there's no need for the childish sarcasm.