SWP (Predictable stuff)

sempuki

Obviously our weakest position is RM!?

Newcastle set to make loan bid for Chelsea star

By Jason Mellor and Simon Rushworth

Published: 23 December 2006

Newcastle United are ready to offer Shaun Wright-Phillips an escape route from Chelsea. Their manager, Glenn Roeder, has indicated his desire to take the England midfielder on loan for the rest of the season when the transfer window opens next month.

Wright-Phillips is largely surplus to requirements at Stamford Bridge, and has made just 13 Premiership starts for the champions since his £21m move from Manchester City 18 months ago. Roeder, who faces competition from his City counterpart, Stuart Pearce, for the 25-year-old, said: "If Shaun is available for loan then we'd have to be interested.

"Why he's been unable to force his way into the team at Chelsea I don't know. I wouldn't even try to reason why that's not happened, you'd have to ask Jose Mourinho," he added. Roeder has a long-held admiration for Wright-Phillips, whose arrival would add further congestion to an already well-stocked area of the Newcastle squad. He continued: "He's a highly talented player and without doubt he was Manchester City's best player when he was there. I think he's a huge talent. There's no reason for our fans to panic, we've got targets and we'll be dealing with those over the next 10 days and in the early part of January."

It has long been a criticism of Newcastle United's colourful chairman, Freddy Shepherd, that his judgement is all too often clouded by an irrational passion for his home-town football club. Yet, at a time when his own future is far from secure with talk of a takeover sparking heated debate within the pubs of Tyneside, Shepherd is not about to perform the volte-face necessary to persuade the doubters he is suitably distant from grass-roots emotion.

"I'm Fred the fan first, chairman second," said a bullish Shepherd as he prepared for this afternoon's visit of Tottenham Hotspur and, in the shape of the London club's chairman Daniel Levy, a business-like board member far removed from Newcastle's brash figurehead. "I first started watching Newcastle as a kid on the Gallowgate End and I'll continue watching until the day I die.

"It's my club - and I mean that not as a chairman - but in the way every fan says it's his club. A lot of chairmen are passing through clubs but let me make one thing crystal clear. That's not me. I could never do what Ken Bates or Peter Ridsdale did and join another club's board if I ever left Newcastle. No chance whatsoever. It's in my blood. You can get rid of the wife or the bank manager, but a Geordie can never get rid of Newcastle."

Maybe so. However, immediately after Newcastle's tame home defeat against Sheffield United at the beginning of November, the question on the lips of a sizeable minority of disaffected Magpies' supporters was just how to get rid of Shepherd. An impressive run of just two defeats - both against the Premiership champions, Chelsea, in the space of a week - in 11 games since that watershed display against the Blades has proved sufficiently encouraging to silence the agitators.

Shepherd is now painting a typically optimistic picture of unity and stability as he prepares to support Roeder with the funds to strengthen a Newcastle squad undermined by injuries throughout a troubled 2006. "Considering the injuries we've had, Glenn has done a fantastic job," he added. "In fact, I doubt even Sir Alex Ferguson could have done a better one in the circumstances. You can only go to war with what you've got."

Would allow us to let Solano concentrate on completing his full conversion to full-back, and Dyer to play off the striker or in the middle. And imo, he's still much much better than Milner. On a loan deal, what harm is there?

I think Milner has got better and better for us, his end product is getting better all the time, after all the shit he's been through I think a little loyalty towards him wouldnt go amis since we dont need a player in that position!

Why does anyone believe any articles that come out describing the great things we are planning for the upcoming transfer window?

I find it particularly hard to give any credence to any statement from NUFC regarding transfer plans, and even less credibility exists when Fatty opens his yap.  Time and time again, each transfer window, the fans get restless  lamenting the state of the team and the positions we need.  Time and time again the fans grow in to a crescendo of "Freddy Out!" cries.  Time and time again NUFC leak details of grandiose transfer plans, backed up by statements from Chairman and Manager, messages like "we can't disclose who, but we think fans will be pleasantly surprised.  We have 4 or 5 top flight, champions league quality players all lined up."  Then time and time again we end up with utter crap who do nothing to improve our capability.

I mean, I would genuinely love to be excited about the upcoming transfer window.  Indeed in all past windows I have got myself all worked up with the prospect of who we might get in.  Well no more.  Until the players brought in prove themselves I will not accept that they were worth bringing in.  Until NUFC develops a track record (3 or more windows) of bringing in quality I will not get excited again.  I'm sick of it.  The fans scream for quality, they even help the scouts and management by doing research for them, yet time and time again we end up with either glitter-boy signings who achieve nothing or crap that are talentless wasters.

</end rant>

Would allow us to let Solano concentrate on completing his full conversion to full-back, and Dyer to play off the striker or in the middle. And imo, he's still much much better than Milner. On a loan deal, what harm is there?

I think Milner has got better and better for us, his end product is getting better all the time, after all the shit he's been through I think a little loyalty towards him wouldnt go amis since we dont need a player in that position!

There should be no place for sentiment within the game but unfortunately that's one of our biggest flaws.

There should be no place for sentiment within the game but unfortunately that's one of our biggest flaws.

i agree with that but hes been playin well and we dont need a right mid

If it was on a six month loan deal and in no way harbored our chances of bringing in a decent left-back I'd be all for it. A player like SWP could be the catalyst to revitalise our whole team. The opposition would be shit scared of having SWP, Martins, Dyer and The Zog running at them at full pelt. This would cause opposition defences to drop a lot deeper allowing players like Emre more time on the ball to create things and give the back four a whole lot more breathing space as well.

SWP is a terrific footballer and if we can bring him in for 6 months then that's great. Solano is too old and slow to be playing a full 90 minutes in right midfield and as much as I love Milner, SWP is a much better player.

If it was on a six month loan deal and in no way harbored our chances of bringing in a decent left-back I'd be all for it. A player like SWP could be the catalyst to revitalise our whole team. The opposition would be shit scared of having SWP, Martins, Dyer and The Zog running at them at full pelt. This would cause opposition defences to drop a lot deeper allowing players like Emre more time on the ball to create things and give the back four a whole lot more breathing space as well.

Like I said I see your point, and if it happened I wouldnt exactly be cursing because at the end of the day hes a good player, but I just think that spending time over the xmas period tryin to sign players for non essential positions is a bit risky, especially considering how we go about buying players, i.e. last day! I also think that in terms of work rate/effort, and consistency, Milner has probably been our best player this season, one of the few positives from the bad start we had!

Wont be fair to milner if we are to loan SWP.

It's not about what's fair and what isn't. This is a football club and we need the best players playing wherever we can get them, if it means another decent player has to drop to the bench then so be it.

Wont be fair to milner if we are to loan SWP.

It's not about what's fair and what isn't. This is a football club and we need the best players playing wherever we can get them, if it means another decent player has to drop to the bench then so be it.

Duff/Zoggy

Milner to Villa, SWP on loan to Newcastle, SWP back to Chelsea, No young, promising, right winger at Newcastle anymore!!

I'm Nostradamus me, just you watch.  bluedead.gif

Milner to Villa, SWP on loan to Newcastle, SWP back to Chelsea, No young, promising, right winger at Newcastle anymore!!

I'm Nostradamus me, just you watch.  bluedead.gif

Roeder already said no matter what Milner won't be sold.

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

I do, because I think Milner is playing better and better and he is still young so you have to be patient with him. He needs more games to develop further, which he wont get if we loan SWP....

Its a tough one, I like Milner and this will be another kick in the face for the poor lad and it will knock his development.

On the other hand SWP is a fantastic player, and would certainly help us.

Depends if we were going to sign SWP on a permanent deal in the future which would be costly and we have other priorities.

Its a tough one, I like Milner and this will be another kick in the face for the poor lad and it will knock his development.

On the other hand SWP is a fantastic player, and would certainly help us.

Depends if we were going to sign SWP on a permanent deal in the future which would be costly and we have other priorities.

I think we should only get him on loan if we are going to buy him at the end of the season because otherwise we'll end up losing a pissed off Milner as well as not havin swp! But then as u say, we do have other priorities! I personally dont think we should really sign him, although I wouldnt be disappointed if we did!

No harm in a loan deal at all.

Option to buy would be handy aswell, we might need another right-mid come the summer, seeing as there'll be only Milner, really. In all fairness, Nobby is now and always will be an average squad play in terms of right-mid. He hasn't got the legs for it. Right-back on the other hand...

And it won't be the end of Milner for the season. Wright-Phillips wouldn't play every game, and Milner can play upfront or on the left aswell if required. And it won't harbour his improvement, it'll probably develop it. He's earned right-midfield hands down with no real competition. He'll have that if SWP comes.

:thup: for me.

Guest the_serbian_mag

Milner should play as much as possible, or he'll end up being just another of those 'talented players' who never really got to play and improve. It would be another matter if we were to buy SWP, but bringing him to SJP for just six months won't do us much good.

Milner should play as much as possible, or he'll end up being just another of those 'talented players' who never really got to play and improve. It would be another matter if we were to buy SWP, but bringing him to SJP for just six months won't do us much good.

Except bolster our chances of a reaching UEFA Cup spot. Quality players help do that, actually.

I would  love SWP but not at the cost of Milner, after all the crap the last few days about he is not for sale then this from Milner today...

Milner: I'm loving life in Toon

Dec 23 2006

By Lee Ryder, The Evening Chronicle

James Milner says that he is simply loving life at Newcastle United after enjoying an extended run under Glenn Roeder.

The flying Toon winger has been in good form for United, and Roeder told the Chronicle last week that Milner will not be leaving when the January transfer window opens for business in just over a week.

The Yorkshire-born player, who United snapped up for £3.6m from Leeds, actually made it as far as the Villa Park car park on August 31, but discovered a move to Aston Villa had fallen through on arrival in Birmingham when United's move for Mark Viduka went pear-shaped at the last minute.

Now, though, with confidence restored, Milner has proved to be one of the key men for Newcastle in a recent revival in which Chelsea are the only team to beat them since the dire defeat against Sheffield United at the start of last month.

He told the Chronicle: "You play your best football when you are getting back-to-back games and that's what's happening now.

"It is difficult when you are in and out of the team to show your best form.

"Hopefully, I can continue that run this season and it is always great when you are getting picked.

"I'm just enjoying myself and want to keep on playing well."

Milner vowed a long time ago to forget about the transfer-day debacle which left him feeling uncertain about his future on Tyneside.

But since then Roeder and Milner have forged an understanding which has brought out the best in the England Under-21 star.

And Milner confessed the news that his manager doesn't want to lose him was good to hear.

He added: "I get confidence when I hear the manager say that, but I cannot affect what happens off the pitch, just work hard on the training field.

"Then I give my all on a match-days and that's what I have to keep doing.

"We want to keep the run going because it has been nice to play when things are on the up.

"We had a bad start to the season but things have turned around now and, hopefully, we can keep going."

After United have completed today's clash with Tottenham they face a trip to Bolton on Boxing Day before seeing out 2006 at Goodison Park against Everton.

And Manchester United will be the visitors to St James' Park to see in the New Year.

Milner says he cannot wait and added: "The games come thick and fast at this time of year and there are some massive games coming up.

"The way we have been playing suggests we will get quite a few points over Christmas.

"You look at the League before and after Christmas - there could be a big difference.

"We want to be in the top half and looking at the European places."

Guest the_serbian_mag

Except bolster our chances of a reaching UEFA Cup spot. Quality players help do that, actually.

As far as our right midfield is concerned, I think we have all the ability required to go on and reach that European spot. There are other parts in NUFC team that need attending to in order to make a solid team that doesn't fall apart as soon as it concedes a goal. Like defence.

As far as our right midfield is concerned, I think we have all the ability required to go on and reach that European spot. There are other parts in NUFC team that need attending to in order to make a solid team that doesn't fall apart as soon as it concedes a goal. Like defence.

True, we have a very accomplished midfield.

But no matter which way you look at it, Shaun Wright-Phillips will improve it because he is a quality player.

We'll get a defender anyway mate (and improve the defense further by getting rid of Bramble), and with it being a 6-month loan deal, the fee would be minimal. Virtually insignificant.