Callum Wilson

Strawberry

16 hours ago, SteV said:

And constantly having to flog himself for 90+ mins every week due to lack of viable alternatives doesn’t help. 

In my day playing 90 minutes each week wasn’t “flogging” but desired as being a normal footballer. 

30 minutes ago, greydos said:

In my day playing 90 minutes each week wasn’t “flogging” but desired as being a normal footballer. 

Yes, but like everything, things have moved on. The physical output required during a match from a modern elite level player (especially in an Eddie Howe team) is far, far greater than what was required in previous generations.

This has got a hint of that time Heskey smashed into Ferdinand in training and ruled him out of the World Cup. Don't let him anywhere near Bruno, Isak or Gordon for the next month.

Back in my day we'd go have fish and chips, and a pint a few hours before kick off. Maybe put a few quid on first goal kick. 

2 hours ago, SteV said:

Yes, but like everything, things have moved on. The physical output required during a match from a modern elite level player (especially in an Eddie Howe team) is far, far greater than what was required in previous generations.

Training, nutrition, sports science, sleep science etc have moved on also. Are you suggesting that the gap between the exertion required to play 90 minutes has grown more than the loads placed on players on training and their ability to train for that exertion? Why is that not the case in other sports? Runners still run a normal marathon distance. Tennis players still play the same amount of sets and matches. Cricketers play more cricket. 

Are there more sprints in football now compared with 1990s? Longer distances run? Arguably, with 4-4-2 hoofball being pervasive in the 1990s more stamina was required as it was a game mostly full of length of the pitch transitions. 

This idea football has “moved on” seems easy to say but difficult to prove. 

10 minutes ago, greydos said:

Training, nutrition, sports science, sleep science etc have moved on also. Are you suggesting that the gap between the exertion required to play 90 minutes has grown more than the loads placed on players on training and their ability to train for that exertion? Why is that not the case in other sports? Runners still run a normal marathon distance. Tennis players still play the same amount of sets and matches. Cricketers play more cricket. 

Are there more sprints in football now compared with 1990s? Longer distances run? Arguably, with 4-4-2 hoofball being pervasive in the 1990s more stamina was required as it was a game mostly full of length of the pitch transitions. 

As you say, nutrition and sports science have moved on massively. So that allows (elite level) players to produce greater physical output.

But that means everything is being played at such a high intensity level, once you drop off that a fraction (through fatigue) it becomes more noticeable than it has ever been.

It’s not that Isak isn’t putting in the effort of his predecessors, or vice versa, it’s that fatigue stands out more, and has a more detrimental effect.

Wilson has always been a crock everywhere hes been under various different managers, I think whatever his workload hes always going to be that player, hes just made of glass, hes a quality striker and its such a shame but if we can get any money for him in the summer 8 mil plus we should seriously consider it, provided we can replace him of course.

Edit: Would keep him around as a 3rd choice striker if we brought someone more reliable in as second choice, but I cant imagine Wilson going for that based off his character.

Edited by Tiotes Witch Doctor

1 hour ago, OCK said:

Back in my day we'd go have fish and chips, and a pint a few hours before kick off. Maybe put a few quid on first goal kick. 

Pint of Moretti was it Sandro.

12 minutes ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

Wilson has always been a crock everywhere hes been under various different managers, I think whatever his workload hes always going to be that player, hes just made of glass, hes a quality striker and its such a shame but if we can get any money for him in the summer 8 mil plus we should seriously consider it, provided we can replace him of course.

Edit: Would keep him around as a 3rd choice striker if we brought someone more reliable in as second choice, but I cant imagine Wilson going for that based off his character.

Even if he was technically 'third choice striker' he'd get plenty of minutes assuming we get into Europe. Isak will pick up more knocks. 

11 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

"Just under" is doing some work there mind, he's nearer 1 in 3 than 1 in 2.

7 in 16 = Goal every 2.3 games, so nearer 1 in 2 than 1 in 3.

5 minutes ago, Beth said:

7 in 16 = Goal every 2.3 games, so nearer 1 in 2 than 1 in 3.

It's 8 in 22 overall which is 1 in 2.78, but yeah fair enough I didn't see 'in the Premier League', which is a bit of creative accounting imo, no need for it.

If he is still with us next season he should be only starting the midweek games or coming on for the last 20 mins to give Isak a rest, if he does not like it he can fuck off.

15 hours ago, greydos said:

Roy Keane said (about the Ronaldo situation at Man Utd):

"People are obsessed with the pressing game these days."

He said it as if pressing was a strange thing to care so much about. It was quite telling of the difference from when he played. I remember it from when I was a kid, the strikes rarely bothered to put much energy into chasing down the defenders or the goalie, and there was definetly not much organized press with several players involved.

Edited by Erikse

11 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

It's 8 in 22 overall which is 1 in 2.78, but yeah fair enough I didn't see 'in the Premier League', which is a bit of creative accounting imo, no need for it.

I personally only really ever look at league. All comps can pad heavily with rubbish teams. Of course Wilson's record is even better than 1 in 2 when you consider half his appearances are from the subs bench.

I actually think we need 3 strikers really. I can’t see Wilson staying and another striker coming in too but that would be my preference. The problem is Wilson can’t be relied upon as the dependable second striker because he’s out so much. That then heaps major pressure on Isak. If he stayed and we brought in another striker then we’d be looking really strong but highly unlikely. He has just built a home in Darras Hall though so that doesn’t sound like he’s looking to move anytime soon 🤷‍♂️ 

My guess is a promoted club or bottom half club will take a punt on Wilson and we’ll use the money together with a few others say maybe Miggy to boost incoming signings. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

5 hours ago, Erikse said:

He said it as if pressing was a strange thing to care so much about. It was quite telling of the difference from when he played. I remember it from when I was a kid, the strikes rarely bothered to put much energy into chasing down the defenders or the goalie, and there was definetly not much organized press with several players involved.

Yeah strikers didn’t need to press as centre backs were going to hoof it. Or give a pass to the full

back to play a channel ball. I still doubt the idea that football requires more now. All the off the pitch advancements have extended longevity in most other sports despite performance levels increasing there also. 

F1 cars have more downforce than years ago. Alonso and Hamilton are racing into their 40s. Tennis players are stronger. Federer, Djokovic, Nadal have gone on longer. More cricket is played than years ago. The England cricket team’s getting older. Anderson, Broad played late, etc. 

I’m just not sure I buy that because striker’s press a bit more the game’s harder overall. It just changes the balance of off ball running. If attack and wide midfielders are pressing more, defenders are in fewer battles than before and so resting more. 

5 hours ago, Erikse said:

Freddie flintoff even said it on the Graham Norton game about cricket as well about how he went to Australia and everyone in the team were athletes and he was like this throw from the past.