Callum Wilson: back in full training

Strawberry

1 hour ago, greydos said:

Yeah strikers didn’t need to press as centre backs were going to hoof it. Or give a pass to the full

back to play a channel ball. I still doubt the idea that football requires more now. All the off the pitch advancements have extended longevity in most other sports despite performance levels increasing there also. 

F1 cars have more downforce than years ago. Alonso and Hamilton are racing into their 40s. Tennis players are stronger. Federer, Djokovic, Nadal have gone on longer. More cricket is played than years ago. The England cricket team’s getting older. Anderson, Broad played late, etc. 

I’m just not sure I buy that because striker’s press a bit more the game’s harder overall. It just changes the balance of off ball running. If attack and wide midfielders are pressing more, defenders are in fewer battles than before and so resting more. 

The human body and mind is still the human body and mind.

The strikers of today and especially ours do way more intensive running than strikers of yesteryear. Back in the day, you had 2 strikers and neither pressed. 

And the players of today are also far more athletic. I remember Craig Bellamy and Kieron Dyer being so much faster than some of our opposition. You don't really get that anymore. The base level is so much higher.

1 hour ago, greydos said:

Yeah strikers didn’t need to press as centre backs were going to hoof it. Or give a pass to the full

back to play a channel ball. I still doubt the idea that football requires more now. All the off the pitch advancements have extended longevity in most other sports despite performance levels increasing there also. 

F1 cars have more downforce than years ago. Alonso and Hamilton are racing into their 40s. Tennis players are stronger. Federer, Djokovic, Nadal have gone on longer. More cricket is played than years ago. The England cricket team’s getting older. Anderson, Broad played late, etc. 

I’m just not sure I buy that because striker’s press a bit more the game’s harder overall. It just changes the balance of off ball running. If attack and wide midfielders are pressing more, defenders are in fewer battles than before and so resting more. 

There are definitely more sprints and high-intensity efforts involved in matches compared to those the 90s, like. Whether that's balanced out by the players being better looked after, who knows.

I do think we're probably right on the limit of what can be squeezed out of top-flight footballers, and it's playing out in the kind of injuries we're seeing. 

Edited by NEEJ

25 minutes ago, NEEJ said:

There are definitely more sprints and high-intensity efforts involved in matches compared to those the 90s, like. Whether that's balanced out by the players being better looked after, who knows.

I do think we're probably right on the limit of what can be squeezed out of top-flight footballers, and it's playing out in the kind of injuries we're seeing. 

Also I think a lot of talented footballers are getting squeezed out of the game by superior athletes.

I think Ollie Watkins is a great player no doubt. And Emery has refined his game and maybe actually has him running less? But one of his competitive advantages is his supreme fitness and conditioning. The way he did ESR on the weekend, none of our strikers could do that after 85+ minutes. They don't have the physical capacity/conditioning. Some of that might be tactical (less pressing from Watkins potentially) but Watkins has played so much football this season he's definitely an uber athlete.

3,715' minutes which doesn't include added time.  Isak has 2,477' and is gassed by 70 minutes each match.

Edited by The College Dropout

There's almost no room in the game anymore for players who are technically superb but aren't athletically optimum in one way or another (be that raw pace, height, cardio). 

You're now getting to the point that this selection process is happening at academy level, so you're not even seeing outliers anymore. 

That combined with a tactical shift towards possession based and by the numbers football means there is very little individual flair left IMO. 

Personally I think it has made the sport far less interesting than it was, even if the overall level is arguably as high as it ever has been.

3 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

There's almost no room in the game anymore for players who are technically superb but aren't athletically optimum in one way or another (be that raw pace, height, cardio). 

You're now getting to the point that this selection process is happening at academy level, so you're not even seeing outliers anymore. 

That combined with a tactical shift towards possession based and by the numbers football means there is very little individual flair left IMO. 

Personally I think it has made the sport far less interesting than it was, even if the overall level is arguably as high as it ever has been.

I think there's still plenty of room for Bernardo Silva's, Fodens, Brunos. Little, not particularly strong or athletic agile people.

Less room for Nicky Butt/Tomm Huddlestone types, yeah. Maybe Riquelme, Pires, Robert etc (not fast, not agile, technically superior forwards) are being phased out, too.

We never seem to do it but wouldn’t it make sense to give Wilson a run out for the under 21s tonight? Pope too if he’s as close as rumours suggest. 

Maybe Howe thinks his training is more intense than that level so it’s pointless? 

9 hours ago, Jimburst said:

I think there's still plenty of room for Bernardo Silva's, Fodens, Brunos. Little, not particularly strong or athletic agile people.

Less room for Nicky Butt/Tomm Huddlestone types, yeah. Maybe Riquelme, Pires, Robert etc (not fast, not agile, technically superior forwards) are being phased out, too.

Bernardo Silva and Foden are great players. But Silva in particular is a cog. What makes KDB a standout player is he’s seemingly allowed to go off script and rifle one from 30 yards or just dominate a game. But he’s a super team player. 

On 19/04/2024 at 09:54, ponsaelius said:

Yes, I think Jinky Jimmy Smith would struggle to find a place in the top flight these days.......:mou:

On 19/04/2024 at 09:54, ponsaelius said:

Aye Frank Worthington or Stan Bowles aren’t getting much match time in the new modern game.

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Isak is still gassing not long after the hour mark. Having him play those last 20 minutes knackered increases his risk of injury. Good that we can take him off for Wilson in those last 10-15 this weekend if we can.

Love this

He's knackered with 30 minutes to play

Its dangerous to play him for the last 20

Great we can bring someone on with 10 mins to go

Lets get the board up on 89 minutes lads, Callum's coming on

Any player coming back before the season is over is good news. Not sure on his level right now, but it makes us less predictable, and hes a different striker than Isak. We can also mix it up with two strikers or rest Isak in the final minutes.

Edited by nufc123