Callum Wilson: back in full training

Strawberry

We need a new striker. If he’s happy to be a 3rd choice then fine but I’d imagine a newly promoted side will offer him a 2-3 yr contract. He can’t be the 2nd option if our 1st option also has injury concerns. 

May be out for the whole of January. Will no doubt get injured again soon after. He's a really good player but made of broken biscuits. Definitely needs replacing sooner rather than later.

I’d imagine he’d be on a decent whack. Personally don’t see the point in keeping him. When he is always injured, now looks as if his pace has fully deserted him and he seemingly can’t play two games close together without breaking down. 

Considering Isak has struggled to stay fit since joining. It doesn’t make sense to have someone as cover/to rotate with him. Who is even more injury prone. 

Loved him since he joined and he has been a shining light during some dark times. But I feel we need to be looking to replace him now. 

Seemingly he's missed over 40% of games since he signed. That's just not good enough for where we want to be. Either keep him as a third choice selection (I don't think he would accept that) or cash in this summer. 

Could easily get at least what we paid for him if we got rid this summer. We need another striker and Wilson won’t be happy being third choice but when he gets injured once every 3 games then he’s made the decision for us. 

He’s lost a bit of pace, but when he’s fit he’s still top notch.

Goalscorers aren’t ten a penny - not saying we shouldn’t look to replace Wilson given his ongoing fitness issues but replacing him will be harder than pretty much any other player in the squad.  

7 minutes ago, Menace said:

With his goals per 90 there will be plenty of teams that will take that bet. Strikers are in huge demand right now

They always are.  There’s not a lot out there who have Wilson’s GtG ratio 

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

He’s lost a bit of pace, but when he’s fit he’s still top notch.

Goalscorers aren’t ten a penny - not saying we shouldn’t look to replace Wilson given his ongoing fitness issues but replacing him will be harder than pretty much any other player in the squad.  

I know goals win games and are a rare commodity. But the trade off for someone not as clinical, but that can actually sprint and more importantly, stay fit. Might end up being worthwhile overall. 

3 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I know goals win games and are a rare commodity. But the trade off for someone not as clinical, but that can actually sprint and more importantly, stay fit. Might end up being worthwhile overall. 

Yeah, I agree - it is one of those where it feels more of a ‘tread carefully’. 

No player is unsellable for me - it’s just that we wouldn’t get much for Wilson, but a replacement would likely be very expensive.  Which is why my preference would be to get a young lad in as a potential third option - not Ekitike, but someone of that profile.

I’ll happily back Howe’s calls on players in / out though.  If Wilson leaves it will be because it is in the best interests of the club and player (in the view of the management). 

We sell him and he will become instantly immune to injury, including shark attack, IEDs and plane crash. 

Fits in the same very strange category as the likes Chris wood, joselu and Jon Dahl tomasson becoming world class the minute they fuck off. 

14 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

We sell him and he will become instantly immune to injury, including shark attack, IEDs and plane crash. 

Fits in the same very strange category as the likes Chris wood, joselu and Jon Dahl tomasson becoming world class the minute they fuck off. 

You can’t compare him to those though, Wilson’s been absolutely class for us, injuries aside. Those 3 were shite.

Those superpowers he's inherited could come in handy given where he is currently 

Can't imagine there being a big queue for Wilson. He's over 30, with a poor injury record and I suspect it'll take a huge offer to better whatever wedge he's on here. 

2 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Can't imagine there being a big queue for Wilson. He's over 30, with a poor injury record and I suspect it'll take a huge offer to better whatever wedge he's on here. 

They offer decent wedge (where he is currently ;) so I hear 

17 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

While we've got nee cunt else it wouldn't make much sense anyway.  The topic of selling him should only come up when we get another 2 strikers into the club