Callum Wilson

Strawberry

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

If we get a good offer for him, do people think we would sell without bringing in a replacement this month ? 

The club has some form of doing exactly that in allowing Wood and Shelvey to go last January, when theoretically much more was on the line (top 4 qualification).

Just now, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

The club has some form of doing exactly that in allowing Wood and Shelvey to go last January, when theoretically much more was on the line (top 4 qualification).

Neither player would have started games at the end of last season 

1 minute ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Gordon was woods replacement though. Agree regarding Shelvey, although not as important to us as Wilson.

13 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

Neither player would have started games at the end of last season 

jonjo definitely would've played at Chelsea and given how many players were clearly playing through injury, I suspect a few more games too. I will concede Wood was unlikely to play outside of further injuries

33 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

If we get a good offer for him, do people think we would sell without bringing in a replacement this month ? 

I think it’s possible. They’re not going to bring someone in unless they think they’re a long term option. If there’s no one available I think they’d bin Wilson provided the sale price was decent 

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

I think it’s possible. They’re not going to bring someone in unless they think they’re a long term option. If there’s no one available I think they’d bin Wilson provided the sale price was decent 

Yeah I agree, I don’t think there would be the time or willingness from a selling club for us to get a top replacement in this window. With Barnes almost back (hopefully), I think the club would see that as enough cover up top to get us through to the summer. At this point I do think we have kind of written off the rest of the season mind.

36 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Depends on Barnes and Murphy coming back imo. If they're available then I can't see us replacing Wilson, should he go. Gordon will be Isak's foil. 

Agreed. If we sell we won’t sign a replacement until summer.  

We have form. Shelvey would’ve played a fair amount had we kept him.  And by January neither Wilson or Isak had been fit at the same time. Wood was getting regular minutes starting or off the bench. 

I still would be extremely surprised if we sold Wilson.

We can’t do half a season with Isak on his own and I see Gordon very much as being flogged aswell.

Apparently Wilson doesn’t like being second fiddle either. If he went to AM then he would be third choice.

13 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Agreed. If we sell we won’t sign a replacement until summer.  

We have form. Shelvey would’ve played a fair amount had we kept him.  And by January neither Wilson or Isak had been fit at the same time. Wood was getting regular minutes starting or off the bench. 

The logic of January being a bad month for buying suggests it's a good month for selling...

3 minutes ago, Isaksbigrightfoot said:

I still would be extremely surprised if we sold Wilson.

We can’t do half a season with Isak on his own and I see Gordon very much as being flogged aswell.

Apparently Wilson doesn’t like being second fiddle either. If he went to AM then he would be third choice.

This sentence had me worried for a second.

10 minutes ago, 80 said:

This sentence had me worried for a second.

When I say flogged I don’t mean sold.

I mean he’s knackered now and will continue to get game time because the other players in imposition are all injured.

So Gordon can’t cover for Isak.

Flogged. A word that can be used in a multitude of meanings.

22 minutes ago, 80 said:

The logic of January being a bad month for buying suggests it's a good month for selling...

Agreed. Ideally selling deadwood. Last year we sold useful squad members but both slightly on the periphery, older and on big wages. This year it’s still older players but pretty key ones. 

For us it’s all FFP driven. The sales don’t help us on the pitch for the remainder of the season.  

The logic is that it allows us to rebuild stronger for the following season and long term.  Makes perfect sense.  But carries risks. 

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Agreed. Ideally selling deadwood. Last year we sold useful squad members but both slightly on the periphery, older and on big wages. This year it’s still older players but pretty key ones. 

For us it’s all FFP driven. The sales don’t help us on the pitch for the remainder of the season.  

The logic is that it allows us to rebuild stronger for the following season and long term.  Makes perfect sense.  But carries risks. 

Definitely suspect it's a pattern we'll see for years to come, mind. So long as FFP remains a thing, anyhow.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

The money well spent helps us on the pitch. If we get decent fees for both of them I’d be excited to see what the club has up its sleeve. 

6 hours ago, St1pe said:

Someone on twitter earlier this week has said Wilson had asked to leave as he didn’t want to be behind Isak. I assumed it was the usual twitter itk stuff but I guess he was right. 

This month feels like a transfer window of the Ashley era [emoji38]

Seems odd. They would still rotate, despite not being in Europe. If he were to play every game, he would just be out injured again.

1 hour ago, BoSelecta said:

The money well spent helps us on the pitch. If we get decent fees for both of them I’d be excited to see what the club has up its sleeve. 

Yeh it helps us on the pitch - The following season. 

Personally I think the club have touted Trippier and Wilson around.  Better to lose them than a younger star. I don’t buy that these moves have been initiated by the players.  Wilson was just on his pod saying that rotating with Isak is probably better for him than being run into the ground as first choice. He has his finest season last year doing that  and he gets goals off the bench which is what England want and need at the euros.  

Edited by The College Dropout

7 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

I think it would be a disaster personally, probably kill any chance of us getting back into Europe as I don't think we will be able to buy a decent replacement with 11 days to go.