Football governance

Nobody

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

The American sports have online platforms but they’re just using the feed from the traditional TV broadcasters. They don’t seem to have one monolithic broadcast like we do though, the state and cities have their own. 

I’d be happy for a government state sponsored joint deal with the BBC to create a Netflix type platform which I’d happily pay a monthly subscription to even though I’m against the TV licence in general and any state sponsorship, but our game clearly needs protected at certain levels and by the government.

Edited by HTT II

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

The American sports have online platforms but they’re just using the feed from the traditional TV broadcasters. They don’t seem to have one monolithic broadcast like we do though, the state and cities have their own.

It is amazing to be able to buy one pass for the whole league though, and obviously the quality of the app and service is much better than anything we have here. 

I'm confused about what you mean by the bolded.  Are you talking about team owned channels like NESN/YES, or regional stations like FSN, or what?

The biggest issue with the league passes like MLBtv is all the game blackouts.

Just now, bobloblaw said:

I'm confused about what you mean by the bolded.  Are you talking about team owned channels like NESN/YES, or regional stations like FSN, or what?

The biggest issue with the league passes like MLBtv is all the game blackouts.

Like when you watch an MLB game on MLB TV, the TV feed itself is coming from people like SNY in New York or whatever the other regional ones are called. There’s already a network of companies filming the games, not one large one like we have with Sky. 

This lot would have ran off without a second thought if they could have. All the thinking, all the doubts, all the lovely money was agreed before they signed contracts. They’d have gladly sacrificed every other club, big or small, for the coin.

They all need a proper punishment and they need to accept it gracefully. I’d include some kind of increased footballing community service in this and access to games for those who can’t afford it.

It should never be forgotten what they tried, and, still want to do.

Unforgivable.

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Like when you watch an MLB game on MLB TV, the TV feed itself is coming from people like SNY in New York or whatever the other regional ones are called. There’s already a network of companies filming the games, not one large one like we have with Sky. 

Ah, that makes sense.  I was just confused by the state and cities part. Thought you might be implying it was run by local and state governments, which is what confused me.  Something to keep in mind when making comparisons with US sports models is that the US is the size of your continent, so we are naturally going to be more decentralized.

Guest neesy111

I don't see how a on demand subscription model would work tbh or why anyone involved from football administrative would want it tbh.

Sky is paying something like £10m a PL game at the moment.  That's a ridiculous amount to coup back for the PL and other leagues, having the TV deals as they are now protects the leagues from such a risk.  I can't see a provider will to take such a risk, Amazon's deal works well as it was a small package which they used a loss leader for prime.

I also think there's too much football on in general tbh.

Edited by neesy111

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, neesy111 said:

I don't see how a on demand subscription model would work tbh or why anyone involved from football administrative would want it tbh.

Sky is paying something like £10m a PL game at the moment.  That's a ridiculous amount to coup back for the PL and other leagues, having the TV deals as they are now protects the leagues from such a risk.

It’s kind of on demand anyway, because we still have to pay a subscription fee to watch a live game of footy, even on the BBC, ITV etc. your TV licence fee is you paying still to watch a live game broadcast on terrestrial TV somewhat. 

Anyway it will never happen because of the costs involved in the full production of live football to transmit live, that’s why clubs haven’t went down the route of doing their own live streaming, instead they opted for their own TV channels which they pay others to look after the content for them like with their websites.

2 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

Sky is paying something like £10m a PL game at the moment.  That's a ridiculous amount to coup back for the PL and other leagues, having the TV deals as they are now protects the leagues from such a risk.  I can't see a provider will to take such a risk, Amazon's deal works well as it was a small package which they used a loss leader for prime.

Just another way for the bigger clubs to get a larger cut.  I'd assume teams would get some cut of the revenues from the PPV for their games, and their games will get the most buys.  Over the course of a season Liverpool games will get more buys than Fullham games, and so Liverpool would get more PPV revenue than Fullham.

Sky and BT would kick off massively so your probably right, however the issue everyone is skirting around just now is the total mismanagement of club finances, you can't keep paying these wages and agent fees if its not sustainable with the cash you bring in 

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

It’s kind of on demand anyway, because we still have to pay a subscription fee to watch a live game of footy, even on the BBC, ITV etc. your TV licence fee is you paying still to watch a live game broadcast on terrestrial TV somewhat. 

Anyway it will never happen because of the costs involved in the full production of live football to transmit live, that’s why clubs haven’t went down the route of doing their own live streaming, instead they opted for their own TV channels which they pay others to look after the content for them like with their websites.

I think the reason for that is that producing the games is easy, but producing other content, and generating revenue from it, is more difficult.  You could see that in the US with the first few years of the Big Ten Network.

Just for the fans, it seems like you need one affordable thing you can buy to watch your team. Needing a Sky package with loads of stuff you don’t watch, plus BT Sport is too much. And pre-covid you still wouldn’t be able to watch all the games.

It’s pretty old fashioned and not very customer focused. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Guest HTT II
Just now, Ben said:

Sky and BT would kick off massively so your probably right, however the issue everyone is skirting around just now is the total mismanagement of club finances, you can't keep paying these wages and agent fees if its not sustainable with the cash you bring in 

There needs to be a clear and enforceable mandate around this that every single club can not get into debt, if they do, they will be punished and the owners/directors kicked out basically. That way clubs will be forced to spend what they have and not pile up debt and that will have a trickle on effect that would bring down player transfer fees, agents fees, wages and so on. If a player wants to earn more, they can do so buy branding themselves out to individual companies like say Nike or Ford or whoever. 

Just now, Miggys First Goal said:

How much would people be willing to pay for a Premier League TV streaming service? Every game live, other programming, documentaries, etc.

I don’t care about anything except the live games. Maybe £20 a month, or £200 a season?

MLB TV is something like $120 for the whole season, 160 games for every team including watching them all back on demand, highlights and abridged games. But local games are blacked out. 

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Just for the fans, it seems like you need one affordable thing you can buy to watch your team. Needing a Sky package with loads of stuff you don’t watch, plus BT Sport is too much. And pre-covid you still wouldn’t be able to watch all the games.

It’s pretty old fashioned and not very customer focused. 

Since I don't live over there, how much would it cost a local NUFC fan to watch every game live?

I mean I can watch every Packers game live on Hulu, without paying anything extra.

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don’t care about anything except the live games. Maybe £20 a month, or £200 a season?

MLB TV is something like $120 for the whole season, 160 games for every team including watching them all back on demand, highlights and abridged games. But local games are blacked out. 

So 5 million people paying £20 a month would be 1.2 billion a year is that enough ? 

Guest HTT II
3 minutes ago, bobloblaw said:

I think the reason for that is that producing the games is easy, but producing other content, and generating revenue from it, is more difficult.  You could see that in the US with the first few years of the Big Ten Network.

Producing games isn’t easy at all, and very costly, if it was, club’s would have done this a long time ago. Generating revenue is easy if you have a guaranteed audience, but the profitability from that revenue isn’t as big as you’d imagine it to be. If it was, Sky would have ditched the rest of their programming and concentrated solely on sport, and especially football.

1 minute ago, bobloblaw said:

Since I don't live over there, how much would it cost a local NUFC fan to watch every game live?

I mean I can watch every Packers game live on Hulu, without paying anything extra.

Pre covid you can't, I pay £120 a month for Sky BT and Amazon