Other games (2021/22)

Yorkie

Agree he reminds me of Gazza in that respect. He’s a real throwback player, hardly anyone plays that way now

I used to watch your lot (in the flesh) quite a lot when Gascoigne first came through. I absolutely agree, Grealish and Gazza have a lot in common. As well as talent, they both have that bit of arrogance that real flair players have.

The key difference is Gazza wanted to stay on his feet and cause damage in the final third whereas Grealish all too many times seems happy to just win a free kick. In Gazza’s era he wouldn’t even be getting the free kicks given either.

Which is probably a main reason why Gazza didn't do it.

He wasn’t of that mindset though. If Grealish has more protection why isn’t he bursting through defences instead of shielding ball and dropping to his knees all the time? It just seems an easy option each time.

I think some of that is confirmation bias, I'm not saying he doesn't go down easy, he does but he also creates a shit load of chances and scores and assists. Also he used to get kicked full on all over the pitch.

Listening to people on the radio and TV and reading many many tweets, posts and articles it’s uncanny when asked what are Grealish’s qualities the winning of free kicks rolls off the tongue first. Not saying he’s not a good player. Just wished he’d not take the easy option all the time and actually attack defenders more.