Other games (2021/22)

Yorkie

26 minutes ago, joeyt said:

0_Ezgjan-Alioski-during-Burnley-v-Leeds.

Alioski has been reported for racism by Burnley

He blew a raspberry too, it was all very odd. Not sure if he said anything but McNeil definitely did to him beforehand. The ref went and spoke to the benches for a bit after too but then carried on as normal.

2 hours ago, Wullie said:

I loathe the marginal offside calls but I didn't think that was. Chilwell was offside with the naked eye, it was easy to see because of the edge of the area. I did really want Leicester to win though so I was slightly biased. I really can't stand this Chelsea side, they're so robotic under Tuchel. Hope Man City wipe the floor with them.

I think you’ll be in the minority with that one. That was as marginal as they come. They should bring daylight in next season if they insist on keeping VAR and see if that helps. Hopefully it’s scrapped all together. Championship has benefited from it.

It wasn't as marginal as they come like. This was given offside.

EzP9PXNVkAU0TvI?format=jpg&name=medium

Today was clear with the naked eye. Soyuncu is comfortably behind the line of the penalty area while Chilwell is level with it. I'm more than happy to bin the whole thing but if they brought in an umpire's call/daylight system, today would still have been offside.

E1cu_pWWQAU-uGT?format=jpg&name=medium

2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

There feet are level. There’s no daylight between them at all. I’d give that as onside personally 🤷‍♂️ 

But Chilwell's shoulder is ahead of Soyuncu, so he's offside. That's been the whole ongoing argument with the current law - you can be offside with part of your body you can't play the ball with. What sort of advantage are you gaining from it?

1 minute ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

But Chilwell's shoulder is ahead of Soyuncu, so he's offside. That's been the whole ongoing argument with the current law - you can be offside with part of your body you can't play the ball with. What sort of advantage are you gaining from it?

And VAR is only their for clear and obvious and this not being either the other argument also. I agree it’s farcical. It should be feet if a free kick spray is used for the wall to line up feet.

Doesn’t take into account someone carrying more weight and therefore being less than 10 yards away from his teammates who are thinner or have smaller feet 😂 

Seriously I’d be raging if that went against us. Take away the lines. Marginal in my eyes. 

3 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Class this. proper club

Great stuff. Even looking beyond their silverware in recent years, Leicester are the epitome of what we can only dream of Newcastle being. A club full of people who care, from top to bottom, and want give it their best possible crack on the pitch.

10 hours ago, Wullie said:

It wasn't as marginal as they come like. This was given offside.

EzP9PXNVkAU0TvI?format=jpg&name=medium

Today was clear with the naked eye. Soyuncu is comfortably behind the line of the penalty area while Chilwell is level with it. I'm more than happy to bin the whole thing but if they brought in an umpire's call/daylight system, today would still have been offside.

E1cu_pWWQAU-uGT?format=jpg&name=medium

But VAR isn’t able to freeze the frame with certainty at the moment the ball is struck. You’re measuring something in mm that can’t even be accurate to begin with.

The camera is also not in line with the players and at an angle, which will distort the reality.

With the naked eye, they look level. If this was pre-VAR, I doubt it’d even be a discussion. I didn’t see a single Leicester player claim offside either.

That’s before you can even consider how Chilwell can be offside using a part of the body he’s unable to play the ball with.

If we have to deal with VAR, they should look at it without lines and unless it’s clearly offside to the naked eye - the original decision should stand. 

The absolute draining of celebration yesterday was everything minging that VAR brings. Won’t be long until people can’t celebrate until the game has kicked off again. I’m pretty much already at that point now.

Then we get onto Leicester’s goal. At the start of the season was it Liverpool at Spurs who had a very similar one? Firminho(?) handling it accidentally on the halfway line led to a goal disallowed. Farcical. It adds insult to injury that the referee in the final yesterday gave a handball against Chelsea in the first half for something similar, when it was clearly accidental but the hand stopped the ball going past the man.

I don’t think Leicester’s should have been disallowed, but there is no consistency with the rules anymore. Handball used to be clear - it has to be deliberate. Now, it seems some are, and some aren’t. And we’ve had rules changed halfway through the season.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

This is where I think the offside law is crap. I reckon it should be a goal if part is onside. That should be a goal to me but in the current rules, it’s off. Start the lines from Chilwell’s right heel and Soyuncu’s right shoulder.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

This is where I think the offside law is crap. I reckon it should be if part is onside. That should be a goal to me but in the current rules, it’s off. Start the lines from Chilwell’s right heel and Soyuncu’s right shoulder.

We shouldn’t need to change the rules. They were fine as they were. Just don’t use VAR to draw lines. Don’t use VAR at all.

I can believe they were allowed to use var against one of “Masters six”!

I’m jealous as fuck of Leicester like. Shining example of a well owned and well ran club. 

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

But the laws say that shouldn’t be a goal. Do you agree with that?

Only because the laws have been fannied around with due to VAR.

The previous rule we used to go by was you’re offside if a part of your body you can play the ball with is offside, which usually didn’t include the full arm. I can’t recall ever seeing someone offside due to their shoulder pre-VAR.

All of this nonsense around shirt sleeves is due to VAR.

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

The law hasn’t changed for VAR, though (unless I’ve missed something). It’s just that VAR is more likely to pick up on these now rather than the naked eye.

Can you ever remember discussing where someone’s shirt sleeve is on the arm to ascertain if they’re offside? Or any example of someone’s shoulder being on or offside?

The guidance around the rules to referees has changed, the shirt sleeve example being one of them. Was it earlier this year they changed the guidance again due to Man City’s disallowed goal (Silva)?

How are we changing guidance halfway through a season ffs.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

25 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

The camera is also not in line with the players and at an angle, which will distort the reality.

Come on now, this is just stupid. :lol: