Players that we saw too little of

Superior Acuña

5 hours ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

After shockingly putting Shearer in the players we saw too much of thread, I'm going to add him here as well.

Seems mental after 10 years, but we lost so much of his prime years with injury

I think only the most ardent of Shearer fans would disagree that Kluivert was better for the team than Shearer when he was here, it was an unpopular opinion at the time though. Agree would have been good to see more of him when he could actually run.

Edited by HawK

1 hour ago, HawK said:

I think only the most ardent of Shearer fans would disagree that Kluivert was better for the team than Shearer when he was here, it was an unpopular opinion at the time though. Agree would have been good to see more of him when he could actually run.

The confusing thing about that for me is that kluivert was pretty knackered at that point and always injured. Plus could barely move. So not sure how he could really have played more despite being technically excellent while he was here 

There was a few matches I seem to recall, where all 3 were fit for once, which didn't happen often. And the debate on here was definitely split, but I felt Kluivert offered more with his clever flicks and movement than Shearer did in the build up play. Splitting hairs here because I'd bite my own arm off for someone who could hold up the ball like Shearer could today. Would loved to have seen more of Kluivert than Shearer that season though. 

4 hours ago, HawK said:

I'm not sure that's true - I reckon most fans (quite unfairly imo) remember Kluivert as a flop.

Kluivert is definitely a good shout, I was so excited when we got him. He was fast losing interest in football in general but still had a touch of class which he showed in patches that season. 

Demba Ba for sure, only 18 months, and didn’t stop scoring wherever he went.

Ben Arfa is the biggest tragedy even though he was signed up for four years, we saw less than two, taking into account injuries, Pardew and being released early.

Other notable mentions: Hamann, Merino, Saha, Woodgate, Remy, Ginola, Emre, Ab.Faye, Domi, Distin 

As weird as it is, that strange spell of getting a random January loan striker, be it Facundo Feyrrera, Slimani, Luuk de Jong and Seydou Doumbia, all of them had decent track records but we didn’t really get to see much of them for it to materialise. Obviously Luuk we saw but he has done well elsewhere. For the others if they’d been given some actual game time perhaps they could have done something? 

Guest neesy111
10 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Brian Kerr.

Thought he looked promising.

Best game was that Arsenal game in the cup.

9 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

Best game was that Arsenal game in the cup.

You've got a better memory than me!

I can just remember thinking that we had a decent player on our hands and that he'd end up playing for a side in the tier below us (Everton, Villa, Spurs etc)