Backroom & executive staff

SweMag

Really excited by this appointment.  He is a class act, who will in time completely transform this place alongside Howe.

In terms of getting rid of players, really not sure that is his role!  People either want our players or they dont! 

In terms of those most likely to go, I think it will be:

Ritchie
Clark

Fernandes 
Darlow 

Manquillo

Hendricks 

Gayle 

Possibly 
Murphy 

Lewis 

I suspect Howe might fancy a bit more time with these two to see if they can develop further or not.

It is understood that this relates to sections E.55 to E.58 of the Premier League regulations, which cover the increased and automatic inspection of all "Threshold Transactions". These are defined as "any transaction between a club and any third party that is not as associated party of the club", and which exceed either a £1 million annual value, or five per cent of a club's yearly turnover.

These regulations were introduced during the 2021-22 campaign to scrutinise the value of commercial deals, and were partly in response to Newcastle's Saudi Arabian-financed takeover, amid suggestions that the club could strike significant sponsorship deals with Middle Eastern firms.

Although the Ashworth compensation package exceeds £1 million, and is therefore subject to automatic assessment, it will be approved by the Premier League's board because Newcastle and Brighton are not associated parties. The deal should be ratified by next week at the latest, as a decision is taken "within five clear working days", unless in "exceptional circumstances", which does not apply here.

Furthermore, The Athletic understands that Ashworth was also subject to routine Premier League employment contract checks to ascertain who is paying his wages. This relates to Section P.14 of the Premier League regulations, which concerns the remuneration of senior officials, "including all benefits to which they are entitled, whether in cash or in kind". For any remuneration above a certain threshold, which Ashworth's deal meets, the Premier League automatically inspects the origin of the money.

The Premier League checks that all payments are recorded and are applied towards the clubs costs, and therefore their profit and sustainability calculations, which is the English top flight's official name for its Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations.

The multi-million-pound compensation that Newcastle will pay Brighton for Ashworth, combined with his salary and bonuses, is being assessed to verify that its entire value is included as a cost of the club, rather than via a third party, because it meets the automatic threshold. Newcastle expect approval soon.

Not sure why the first part is even relevant to him being approved

Edited by Ameritoon

There's a typo in the first bit of the article, it should read; "any transaction between a club and any third party that is not an associated party of the club".

It's saying that everything over £1m is called a Threshold Transaction. These are all automatically checked to make sure it's definitely with an unrelated third party, and not with an associated party.

The compensation we're paying Brighton for him gets checked because it's more than £1m.

It's only if they decide it's actually with an associated party that they do the fair market value test.

Because Brighton are very obviously an unrelated third party to us, that part of it shouldn't take long and the fair market stuff should be irrelevant.

In fact, I'd have thought that bit should have taken about two seconds, since the clubs aren't allowed to be in the same league and linked each other in the first place. But hey.

Then they also check Ashworth's own wages are what we say, to make sure we're not hiding costs by funding him via some other linked company.

17 hours ago, matta said:

That chart is the worst bullshit i've seen. This is the real world, not some FM crap. 

I'm not a massive fan of that chart but it will be interesting in the years ahead where clubs strike the balance between data and their "own eyes" when buying players.

From the outside, Liverpool appears to have a very data driven recruitment process, I wonder how much they go against their instincts if the data is telling them something else?

One thing about the traditional model of scouting, in general the success rate is appalling. 

19 minutes ago, macphisto said:

I'm not a massive fan of that chart but it will be interesting in the years ahead where clubs strike the balance between data and their "own eyes" when buying players.

From the outside, Liverpool appears to have a very data driven recruitment process, I wonder how much they go against their instincts if the data is telling them something else?

One thing about the traditional model of scouting, in general the success rate is appalling. 

Liverpool signing Charlie Adam based on his set pieces stats, Downing on his crossing stats then spending £35 on Carroll to score all the headers will never not be funny. 

2 hours ago, macphisto said:

Liverpool's squad still cost a fortune, for all the data crunching they've done.  It's not exactly moneyball stuff - spend lots and lots of cash on really good footballers.  I'm not suggesting that data analysis wasn't the key driver in their recruitment - but spending huge sums on footballers is generally a pretty assured route to winning things

29 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Liverpool's squad still cost a fortune, for all the data crunching they've done.  It's not exactly moneyball stuff - spend lots and lots of cash on really good footballers.  I'm not suggesting that data analysis wasn't the key driver in their recruitment - but spending huge sums on footballers is generally a pretty assured route to winning things

No it didn't cost a fortune, apart from Van Dijk, Allison and Kieta who cost a fortune? If these figures are correct, 8 teams have a greater net spend than Liverpool over the last 5 years.

How comes the likes of Burnley and Man U can be bought with their own money, immediately putting them in crippling debt which threatens the very existence of the club and minimal checks are carried out, we try to hire a new facilitator and we are scrutinised.

9 minutes ago, macphisto said:

No it didn't cost a fortune, apart from Van Dijk, Allison and Kieta who cost a fortune? If these figures are correct, 8 teams have a greater net spend than Liverpool over the last 5 years.

Diaz, Konate, Jota, Fabinho, Salah, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Mane, Benteke, Firmino… all cost around the value of our highest current transfer (or even more…)

3 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Diaz, Konate, Jota, Fabinho, Salah, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Mane, Benteke, Firmino… all cost around the value of our highest current transfer (or even more…)

And is that a fortune given their league points, Champions League finishes and domestic cups?

Of course they've spent money but no where near the sums of a lot of other clubs who have enjoyed far less success. 

8 minutes ago, macphisto said:

And is that a fortune given their league points, Champions League finishes and domestic cups?

Of course they've spent money but no where near the sums of a lot of other clubs who have enjoyed far less success. 

You asked who cost a fortune. I told you. Points and cups are irrelevant 

Edited by Manxst

11 minutes ago, macphisto said:

They have the fourth most expensive squad in the league. Let's not pretend they've done a Leicester here. 

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

They have the fourth most expensive squad in the league. Let's not pretend they've done a Leicester here. 

Aye this. Was listening to, iirc, Talkshite before the ECL final and the general vibe was Klopp's Liverpool were moderate spenders. I was shaking my head in disbelief. 

Perhaps compared to City or Chelsea but they've spunked a fortune. 

Probs easier to go out and buy marquee players to enhance the team if you've a plethora of homegrown talent already on board but still. 

6 hours ago, Abacus said:

There's a typo in the first bit of the article, it should read; "any transaction between a club and any third party that is not an associated party of the club".

It's saying that everything over £1m is called a Threshold Transaction. These are all automatically checked to make sure it's definitely with an unrelated third party, and not with an associated party.

The compensation we're paying Brighton for him gets checked because it's more than £1m.

It's only if they decide it's actually with an associated party that they do the fair market value test.

Because Brighton are very obviously an unrelated third party to us, that part of it shouldn't take long and the fair market stuff should be irrelevant.

In fact, I'd have thought that bit should have taken about two seconds, since the clubs aren't allowed to be in the same league and linked each other in the first place. But hey.

Then they also check Ashworth's own wages are what we say, to make sure we're not hiding costs by funding him via some other linked company.

Absolute nail on head - perfect explanation 

21 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Aye this. Was listening to, iirc, Talkshite before the ECL final and the general vibe was Klopp's Liverpool were moderate spenders. I was shaking my head in disbelief. 

Perhaps compared to City or Chelsea but they've spunked a fortune. 

Probs easier to go out and buy marquee players to enhance the team if you've a plethora of homegrown talent already on board but still. 

Who's the plethora of homegrown talent? City, Chelsea? You missed out Arsenal, Man U and Everton.

27 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Yes but the difference between their 4th place and the outlay of those above will be a lot more. Liverpool signed Jota and Diaz for less than what Chelsea paid for Lukaku.

No one is pretending they're a Leicester but at the same time let's not pretend they've been bankrolled by a Gulf state, Russian Oligarch or the money Man U spend. 

42 minutes ago, Manxst said:

You asked who cost a fortune. I told you. Points and cups are irrelevant 

£40 million isn't a fortune for a player.

Expenditure since 2017/18 (Source)

1    Chelsea FC: £791.55m    
2    Manchester City: £776.17m    
3    Manchester United: £665.73m   
4    Arsenal FC: £582.50m    
5    Everton FC: £483.18m    
6    Liverpool FC: £482.52m

The above expenditure hardly indicates they've bought success. Obviously spent a bit of money but their success is down to them spending it very wisely which most people put down to their use of data (my original point).