Backroom & executive staff

SweMag

Still in disbelief that we're being run like a proper club tbh.

The scale of this appointment is just hitting home. Lee fucking Charnley to a qualified sports management professional

3 hours ago, Bimpy474 said:

In 6 months our club has gone from looking like we'll never escape from Purgatory, to a club with a bright intelligent young manager, a sporting director who highly regarded as one of the best in the business. To owners who seem to give a shit without anything sinister behind it.

I'm just shaking my head in disbelief, this is our club.

Nothing good ever happens to us [emoji38]

THAT has all changed!

C O M P L E T E L Y . . . 

26 minutes ago, veriaqa said:

Yeah, sportwashing... am I right? Those evil sinister backward saudi...

No, they just fell in love with stotties and Brown Ale and thought 'we should buy their football club and make it successful'

The KSA govt is backward even by simple definition, as its Wahhabist version of the Salafi movement is deliberately atavistic in nature.  I know people try to make out like criticism of the KSA govt is really about sneering racist condescension, but it isn't

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

No, they just fell in love with stotties and Brown Ale and thought 'we should buy their football club and make it successful'

The KSA govt is backward even by simple definition, as its Wahhabist version of the Salafi movement is deliberately atavistic in nature.  I know people try to make out like criticism of the KSA govt is really about sneering racist condescension, but it isn't

Yeah those backward moslem... ruin everything good about western and brits values

3 hours ago, Bimpy474 said:

In 6 months our club has gone from looking like we'll never escape from Purgatory, to a club with a bright intelligent young manager, a sporting director who highly regarded as one of the best in the business. To owners who seem to give a shit without anything sinister behind it.

I'm just shaking my head in disbelief, this is our club, nothing good ever happens to us [emoji38]

2KhrneP.jpg

Just now, veriaqa said:

Yeah those backward moslem... ruin everything good about western and brits values

I never said anything about that.  I said that a govt whose intent is to return to an earlier, more 'pure' version of Islamic practice is by simple definition backward.  Words have meanings, whether you think they can be tossed off or not.  They want to replicate the past - that is ... backward.  Nothing to do with Islam or Muslims generally - specifically about the KSA govt.

15 hours ago, joeyt said:

How often do contracted players just leave their job mid-contract without any fee being paid by the buying club?

That's due to the fact that the club holds the player's registration, it's actually the player's registration that is being bought and sold.

9 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I never said anything about that.  I said that a govt whose intent is to return to an earlier, more 'pure' version of Islamic practice is by simple definition backward.  Words have meanings, whether you think they can be tossed off or not.  They want to replicate the past - that is ... backward.  Nothing to do with Islam or Muslims generally - specifically about the KSA govt.

Sorry to keep the thread derailed and I certainly don't understand all the intricacies of the English languages, but doesn't "backward" have quite a negative connotation? A more suitable term for what you are trying to convey here surely would be "conservative", no?

10 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I'm no expert on the history of Islamic nations but I wonder if those times actually existed. Like those who hark back to a Britain of Cricket on village greens and maiden aunts cycling through the evening mist to evensong, forgetting or more likely  ignoring the shit going on in reality.

10 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

They are medieval to be sure, but not sure backwards applies any more. It seems they are modernising slowly with women being allowed to drive now, encouraging tourism and buying football clubs.

36 minutes ago, madras said:

I'm no expert on the history of Islamic nations but I wonder if those times actually existed. Like those who hark back to a Britain of Cricket on village greens and maiden aunts cycling through the evening mist to evensong, forgetting or more likely  ignoring the shit going on in reality.

Yeah, everyone seems to imagine themselves in a higher class or in a fictionalised place when they're reminiscing about a past era. Think I wasted a good few years of my early 20s looking to go on holiday to what boiled down to Enid Blyton's version of the '50s English countryside.

All of these people who talk about having past lives as well, they're always spice merchants and noblemen, but they're never slaves, serfs, or slave owners are they. :lol:

1 hour ago, madras said:

I think there are huge similarities, definitely.  A desire to go back to a time which never really existed because it is perceived that the values lived at the time were closer to being truly moral

42 minutes ago, TRon said:

They are medieval to be sure, but not sure backwards applies any more. It seems they are modernising slowly with women being allowed to drive now, encouraging tourism and buying football clubs.

Backwards in it’s true sense - a desire to live in the values of an imagined past.  Letting people go to cinemas doesn’t mean they’ve given up on Wahhabism 

1 hour ago, Unbelievable said:

Sorry to keep the thread derailed and I certainly don't understand all the intricacies of the English languages, but doesn't "backward" have quite a negative connotation? A more suitable term for what you are trying to convey here surely would be "conservative", no?

It does have a negative connotation - and rightly so when it comes to Salifist Wahhabism.  The same criticism can be applied to other reactionary political philosophies. 

53 minutes ago, TRon said:

The country has changed so much in the last 5 years, almost to the point where it’s unrecognizable. Women’s rights, human rights, government transparency, non-umrah tourism, segregation laws, stripping power from the muttawa (religious police), technology, entertainment etc. have all undergone an immense amount of progress.

This is all due to MBS. Like I said, it’s a completely different country today to the one I was born in. Improvements are still needed and politically there’s a lot to criticize but, as a country, it’s moving in the right direction.

3 minutes ago, McCormick said:

The country has changed so much in the last 5 years, almost to the point where it’s unrecognizable. Women’s rights, human rights, government transparency, non-umrah tourism, segregation laws, stripping power from the muttawa (religious police), technology, entertainment etc. have all undergone an immense amount of progress.

This is all due to MBS. Like I said, it’s a completely different country today to the one I was born in. Improvements are still needed and politically there’s a lot to criticize but, as a country, it’s moving in the right direction.

All positive things, no doubt about it