The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

To be clear: I’ve no issue with a KSA national playing for NUFC, moving next door to me, or marrying my daughter.  Besides, if my other half and I had a daughter she’d be mixed-race, so it would be odd if I started banging on about racial purity, like the big daft racist that I am.

I don’t like dictatorships putting money into football clubs - even my own.  I’d rather this did not exist.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

It's obviously a problem and not limited to England either, but to make the claim that we all secretly don't want black players playing for England and just aren't being honest about it is quite the insane and offensive leap to be making like. 

Perhaps man, but I can't tell you how uncomfortable it is having to wrestle with these kind of thoughts when that stuff comes up.

I don't even know if it's a racism thing per se. or more what the one guy said about the tribalism of it all. The whole thing is just crazy to me to be honest.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Well how do you expect black people to view the sort of reactions we continue to see?

No one is going to come out and say they do these things. So who are all these people doing this stuff and how can we really know how many are like this. 

It's a hell of a mind fuck that's for sure. I wouldn't want any child of mine having to deal with that at all.

Why aren’t you understanding this? If you’d said “the racist actions of a number of England fans may drive black players away” nobody would have argued with you. You’ve called pretty much everyone out on here as being racist. It’s bizarre and nonsensical 

The Saudis aren't going anywhere, by the way, regardless of whether their league becomes the Super League. If all they wanted was to create a Super League then there was absolutely no need to buy NUFC.

They want to own & influence as much of the west's treasures as possible, it's all part of their long term power-play. They have got their feet under the table now after a long slog and they won't give it up for a long time now. The EPL will always be one of the top leagues in the world and being a big player in it just gives them more power & influence.

Edited by Wandy

5 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

I'd maybe argue there are fair share, but probably in line with everywheres coefficient of morons

There's still far too much of it, but compared to other major European countries we're not too bad.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Perhaps man, but I can't tell you how uncomfortable it is having to wrestle with these kind of thoughts when that stuff comes up.

I don't even know if it's a racism thing per se. or more what the one guy said about the tribalism of it all. The whole thing is just crazy to me to be honest.

I'm English and I'm not a racist, hope this helps towards changing your thoughts.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Tribalism isn’t fucking racism you fucking tit.  I was talking about being from Newcastle therefore supporting Newcastle irrespective of the quality of the team you’re watching.  It isn’t fucking race-based.  People watching their local team regardless of whether they’re the world’s best side or bottom of the fourth division.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Racism won't be phased out completely but I would say the younger generation are noticeably less bigoted when it comes to race.

2 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Why aren’t you understanding this? If you’d said “the racist actions of a number of England fans may drive black players away” nobody would have argued with you. You’ve called pretty much everyone out on here as being racist. It’s bizarre and nonsensical 

Easy for you to say when you're not the one that has to put up with the nonsense all the time. And for the record I did not call anyone racist and never even used the word. My response was to the guy that said it was a tribal thing, and I was following on from that, because I believe it is tied into that kind of thinking in some way.

6 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Tribalism isn’t fucking racism you fucking tit.  I was talking about being from Newcastle therefore supporting Newcastle irrespective of the quality of the team you’re watching.  It isn’t fucking race-based.  People watching their local team regardless of whether they’re the world’s best side or bottom of the fourth division.

Which is why I separated the two things in the very thing you quoted, so don't start with me because when I respond in kind you'll all start getting over emotional about it and reporting me to get banned like last time.

Edited by KaKa

Just now, KaKa said:

Which is why I separated the two things in the very thing you quoted, so don't start with me because when I respond in kind you'll start getting over emotional about it and reporting me to get banned like last time.

I’ve never reported you nor anyone else - I’d rather just call you a prick and have done with it. ‘Don’t start with me’ - you’re not my mam.

You completely misinterpreted what I said and decided to call me a racist - and everyone else with the same nationality by proxy.  I said that I don’t care if the money leaves English football as I don’t watch it because of the money attracting the world’s best players.  I absolutely did not suggest that I wanted an all-white English league.   You decided to apply that interpretation. 

7 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Which is why I separated the two things in the very thing you quoted, so don't start with me because when I respond in kind you'll all start getting over emotional about it and reporting me to get banned like last time.

PS Do you realise that racism is the attribution of qualities to a person based upon their race or nationality?  As in ‘I know what x people are thinking, they’re all alike?’  You literally made a racist statement while claiming that you’re arguing against racism. 

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

I’ve never reported you nor anyone else - I’d rather just call you a prick and have done with it. ‘Don’t start with me’ - you’re not my mam.

You completely misinterpreted what I said and decided to call me a racist - and everyone else with the same nationality by proxy.  I said that I don’t care if the money leaves English football as I don’t watch it because of the money attracting the world’s best players.  I absolutely did not suggest that I wanted an all-white English league.   You decided to apply that interpretation. 

No. If I wanted to call you all racists I would have said exactly that. You guys throw that stuff around at each other all the time on here.

I said I don't believe most England fans want black players playing for them. I'm not an idiot man. I have been out watching games numerous times among fans. I know the kinds of things I have seen and heard, and no I do not think it is just a case of them being racist. You lot use that term way too loosely and flippantly. I believe there is some tribal element also involved in regard to international representation as well.

I was talking about African and South American players going elsewhere originally and not the world's best players, which is why I then drew the correlation on what you said in response to my post, when you then spoke of tribalism.

it's correct to challenge it and I'd disagree with what he said and especially how he said it; but at the same I can also completely understand why KaKa might be extremely weary and suspicious of white English folk, like :lol:. We do not have the best history with this kind of thing. 

Edited by Smal

Don’t really have a problem with the Saudi owners and the Saudi v Mexico match in September because I love Newcastle as a city and Newcastle united as a football club but there’s always that niggle in the back of my mind when Australia played Saudi Arabia in the World Cup qualifier. It was just after the London Bridge terror attacks 2017 and the Australian team stopped for the minutes silence and the Saudi team ignored it and carried on warming up. Might just be me over compensating because I was in the Manchester arena with my 9 year old daughter when that attack happened.But I don’t know,mixed feelings for me.

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

No. If I wanted to call you all racists I would have said exactly that. You guys throw that stuff around at each other all the time on here.

I said I don't believe most England fans want black players playing for them. I'm not an idiot man. I have been out watching games numerous times among fans. I know the kinds of things I have seen and heard, and no I do not think it is just a case of them being racist. You lot use that term way too loosely and flippantly. I believe there is some tribal element also involved in regard to international representation as well.

I was talking about African and South American players going elsewhere originally and not the world's best players, which is why I then drew the correlation on what you said in response to my post, when you then spoke of tribalism.

Right, I see.

That clears that up then.

4 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I’m happy to say that I can see where you’re coming from re African & SA players looking elsewhere - no-one should be putting up with racist abuse anywhere in life, let alone on a football pitch.

My point was always that I’m not bothered if English clubs can’t compete for the best players if it means we have better ownership models.  I’ve no issue re the nationality of the players playing for NUFC - and the money reducing wouldn’t see a reduction in the number of foreign-born players playing would be my guess.

I’m aware of course where tribalism can lead - but for me in football terms it’s mainly good-natured.  Go to the Sunderland thread if you want to see what I mean - that’s tribalism but it’s just piss-taking rather than venom. 

Just now, geordiesteve710 said:

Right, I see.

That clears that up then.

It really should. I just don't think you have the same kind of affinity for black players historically.

Completely different thing from you having a problem with every black person you see.

Most people would simply take a step back, reflect and apologise for such a batshit crazy opinion aimed at most of the population of England :lol:

Edited by Sean