Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

It sounds like Chelsea had been working on the Palmer deal for months. He looks promising, but he's still learning the game and can go missing.

With Hall, if he hadn't been available on a loan-to-buy we almost certainly wouldn't have signed him. He's a prospect that can cover in areas we were short in.

Apples to oranges really, but it looks like both will have good careers ahead of them.

5 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Hall is over 2 years younger than Palmer like.

Not saying Hall won’t be a good signing. But he doesn’t look ready to nail down a first team place. For this season we’ve got a 3rd choice left back. Palmer would’ve been ready to start at RW.  

In 2-3 years. I expect he’ll be a great player. But we needed players that can contribute more now. 

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It sounds like Chelsea had been working on the Palmer deal for months. He looks promising, but he's still learning the game and can go missing.

With Hall, if he hadn't been available on a loan-to-buy we almost certainly wouldn't have signed him. He's a prospect that can cover in areas we were short in.

Apples to oranges really, but it looks like both will have good careers ahead of them.

Statistically speaking (small sample) Palmer doesn’t go missing like.  

1 hour ago, Maineblue said:

He hardly got game time at City, no way was he worth £45m for which we sold him for, I’d put him in the £15m price category, yes he played ok yesterday but one swallow doesn’t make a summer.

We should be getting Kalvin Phillips pretty much for free then.

7 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Probably already have someone in mind for that RW slot. Wouldn't be surprised if we wouldn't have seen Palmer as attainable. Think the move was a bit of a surprise all round.

This is all fair. I’m just looking at the fee, wages, profile, age etc. he would’ve been perfect. 

Im glad we didn’t go in for Diaby. Good player but not what we need. Szob would’ve been good. Maddison would’ve been great.  But Palmer is him. 

Im glad the lads we were linked with are good players. 

13 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Statistically speaking (small sample) Palmer doesn’t go missing like.  

Barely noticed he was on the pitch v Brentford. Granted his age and position dictate he'll have games like that.

Much like Maddison, he's looking good in a position we don't seem particularly intent on playing with.

The one I have the most envy of is probably Szoboszlai.

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Barely noticed he was on the pitch v Brentford. Granted his age and position dictate he'll have games like that.

Much like Maddison, he's looking good in a position we don't seem particularly intent on playing with.

Yep - he's the one that got away imho.

Would've loved him at our place. Looks superb.

9 minutes ago, Maineblue said:

nah I think you can give us £60m for Kalvin, just loose change down the back of the sofa for super rich Newcastle ?

Didn't City pay 40? And his stock is way lower now.

17 minutes ago, Maineblue said:

nah I think you can give us £60m for Kalvin, just loose change down the back of the sofa for super rich Newcastle ?

f65824dd03b09dd5f24bf456777bbef4.thumb.png.ff7eea7a887fe179704f8f9d1cfa361e.png

Can't believe a £40m player at 21 years of age wasn't starting for you guys.[emoji38] You literally paid more than £40m for every non defensive player in your squad except Kovacic, Alvarez (now worth £80m) and the academy ones.

Edited by Erikse

13 minutes ago, Erikse said:

f65824dd03b09dd5f24bf456777bbef4.thumb.png.ff7eea7a887fe179704f8f9d1cfa361e.png

Can't believe a £40m player at 21 years of age wasn't starting for you guys.[emoji38] You literally paid more than £40m for every non defensive player in your squad except Kovacic, Alvarez (now worth £80m) and the academy ones.

Honestly mate transfer market valuations doesn’t interest me, it’s all subjective bollocks as far as I’m concerned 

34 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

1. Like I said - statistically speaking, he's more involved in games than any of our wingers and the vast majority of wingers in the league image.png.14ff93b311f466c1fcc036378d5209ff.png

2. Palmer is playing most of his minutes at Chelsea at RW. He does come off that wing and plays a lot in central areas. Our wingers find themselves in that position a lot but don't create much. We are desperate for some type of attacking playmaker. It will need to come at 8 or RW IMO.

3. I like the look of Szob. But he's playing mostly at 8 for Liverpool and we went with another profile entirely for that in Tonali

38 minutes ago, Menace said:

And almost half the fee, I don't understand where he's getting Hall money = Palmer money from

Athletic have Hall at £28m + £7m in add-ons. £35m in total. Athletic have Palmer at £40m+ 2m in add=ons. £42m total. 35m total compared to 42m total - that's similar money right?

Like I said. I think we'll eventually be delighted with Hall. But with CL football and taking all cups seriously - we needed first teamers.

7 minutes ago, Maineblue said:

Honestly mate transfer market valuations doesn’t interest me, it’s all subjective bollocks as far as I’m concerned 

You paying £50m+ for nearly every player on your team is also subjective bollocks? Personally I'd rather have Palmer than Grealish, considering that Palmer is 21.

Edited by Erikse

4 minutes ago, Erikse said:

You paying £50m+ for nearly every player on your team is also subjective bollocks? Personally I'd rather have Palmer than Grealish.

Akanji, Ederson, B Silva, Alvarez all bought for less than £50m, if you fancy Palmer over Grealish that’s fine, that’s testament to our Academy, but I will respectfully disagree and say Jack is by far the better player.

Bernardo Silva was 70m euros, including add-ons in 2017. Factoring football inflation that's a £90m transfer today in total. That was mega money.

Ederson was the second most expensive keeper ever when he signed. That was mega money.

You just signed someone from Wolves who had a mediocre season for £50m. He doesn't even play. Another 50m on a winger. You've got a £100m signing on the bench.

Akanji & Alvarez very astute business. Media reported that Alvarez fee was a bargain at the time.

24 minutes ago, Maineblue said:

Akanji, Ederson, B Silva, Alvarez all bought for less than £50m, if you fancy Palmer over Grealish that’s fine, that’s testament to our Academy, but I will respectfully disagree and say Jack is by far the better player.

"On 26 May 2017, Manchester City confirmed the signing of Silva on a five-year contract after passing his medical tests. Although the transfer fee remains undisclosed, it has been reported to amount to €50 million (£43.5 million), which could reach €70 million with add-ons."

Prices were also lower back then, this was a huge pricetag at the time. The rest of the players that you mentioned (except Alvarez) are defensive players who were not competing with Cole Palmer. Alvarez is worth a lot more than £40m anyways. Also, right now your £100m signing is also not getting that much gametime now, is he? Maybe he's better right now, but Palmer is 21. I'd rather have him for his potensial.

Edited by Erikse

12 minutes ago, Kanji said:

our RW signing has to be an elite RW and likely needs to be Isak type money IMHO. 

I don't think so. There's always quality players around. I would've been happy with Palmer, Szob, Maddison - all less than Isak. If he could stay fit, i'd take Neto.

Edited by The College Dropout

46 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

1. Like I said - statistically speaking, he's more involved in games than any of our wingers and the vast majority of wingers in the league image.png.14ff93b311f466c1fcc036378d5209ff.png

2. Palmer is playing most of his minutes at Chelsea at RW. He does come off that wing and plays a lot in central areas. Our wingers find themselves in that position a lot but don't create much. We are desperate for some type of attacking playmaker. It will need to come at 8 or RW IMO.

3. I like the look of Szob. But he's playing mostly at 8 for Liverpool and we went with another profile entirely for that in Tonali

Athletic have Hall at £28m + £7m in add-ons. £35m in total. Athletic have Palmer at £40m+ 2m in add=ons. £42m total. 35m total compared to 42m total - that's similar money right?

Like I said. I think we'll eventually be delighted with Hall. But with CL football and taking all cups seriously - we needed first teamers.

I don't think there's too much debate because we both agree he looks a very promising player.

I'm a stats man, but it's a tiny sample size with no context. Chelsea usually line up in a 4-2-3-1, do whether he's starts central or wide right, he's afforded the luxury of drifting into the "the hole", by Caicedo or Gallagher filling into the space he vacates.

Rightly or wrongly, while we were linked with more technical forwards who tend to drift inside, it appears that's an avenue we're not pursuing.

He could end up being a bargain, but we perused a player in a position we consider to be more of a priority on favourable financial terns (a loan-to-buy).

11 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I don't think there's too much debate because we both agree he looks a very promising player.

I'm a stats man, but it's a tiny sample size with no context. Chelsea usually line up in a 4-2-3-1, do whether he's starts central or wide right, he's afforded the luxury of drifting into the "the hole", by Caicedo or Gallagher filling into the space he vacates.

Rightly or wrongly, while we were linked with more technical forwards who tend to drift inside, it appears that's an avenue we're not pursuing.

He could end up being a bargain, but we perused a player in a position we consider to be more of a priority on favourable financial terns (a loan-to-buy).

A 3rd choice LB over a first choice RW is brazy.  

I think the lad is 4th choice now. 

I think we pegged his readiness too high.  And I think that will hurt us this season. 

39 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

Who would you class as an elite RW that we can realistically get?

Gordon Isak "Elite RW", sounds dreamy.

Chiesa (can play both sides), but perhaps its Raphina, Xavi Simons, Michael Olise? Could probably say Simons and Olise are various stages of development. 

54 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I don't think so. There's always quality players around. I would've been happy with Palmer, Szob, Maddison - all less than Isak. If he could stay fit, i'd take Neto.

Yeah, I don't disagree. I think the cost of wingers continue to rise - the Palmer deal reminds me of Bruno. Randomly low price for someone so talented.