Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Eddie’s unique take on not travelling to European games until the day of the game needs knocking on the head.  There’s a reason no other manager does this. 

They arrived yesterday.

28 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Got a lot wrong today but even he is learning at this level. i didn't feel like we needed that drastic change of formation and set-up considering how well we've been playing, it took away a lot of what we did good and exposed us.

I think the logic was there in what he wanted to do; the plan was to keep it as tight as possible and let the home fans get vocally frustrated which was likely after the weekend. Then as the game went on and became more end to end, we bring on our direct attackers.

We talk about the players learning from this experience, which they obviously will, but I think wor Eddie's had a bit of a lesson too. Not being overly critical, he's exceptional, and it's a new experience for him, but he's been tactically outdone three times out of four so far. Goodness knows how many times he moved the various pegs around tonight, but Dortmund still came out of it with barely a hair out of place. Limited by the selection troubles of course but we haven't had an answer in 180 minutes of football there. 

The great thing is you know he'll make the best of it and adapt. It's not too late this year either.

41 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Got a lot wrong today but even he is learning at this level. i didn't feel like we needed that drastic change of formation and set-up considering how well we've been playing, it took away a lot of what we did good and exposed us.

What did he get wrong? You do realise we have no players who are fit and the ones that are fit are totally overloaded. 

Just now, r0cafella said:

What did he get wrong? You do realise we have no players who are fit and the ones that are fit are totally overloaded. 

In trying to drastically change the way we played, we saw against Man Utd in the cup that we have a style of play that works regardless of personal, trying to play a completely different tactic today threw a few of our players off.

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Was thinking exactly this. He basically picked whoever was fit. Not a lot he could have done different. Saying he got it wrong tonight has baffled me slightly.

We've not been embarrassed in either game

They were the better side in the first half of both games

We were much better in the 2nd half of the first game and slightly better in this one

Wilson takes his chance in the first and Joelinton takes his in the 2nd and we probably get a result, such fine margins 

The squad is very stretched so he's limited as to what he could do. He's performing miracles really.

Need a champions league squad to implement champions league tactics. Tonight’s team should be nowhere near champions league football in all honesty,  but here we are. Mostly down to Eddie’s coaching. 

3 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

In trying to drastically change the way we played, we saw against Man Utd in the cup that we have a style of play that works regardless of personal, trying to play a completely different tactic today threw a few of our players off.

You’ve ignored my points, we can’t ask the same players to put in those crazy efforts 3 times per week, no switch exists which is man united mode. He was clearly managing load hence Gordon and miggy starting from the bench, the shift we put in against Arsenal was magnificent. 

Ultimately the position we are in injury wise is truly dreadful, we are going from match to match making so and pulling out miracles. And that’s not to mention the changes we wasted tonight and the truly shocking decision which lead to the first Dortmund goal (the ball was never out and Lewis halls yellow card was frankly embarrassing from the referee. 

Just now, RS said:

Need a champions league squad to implement champions league tactics. Tonight’s team should be nowhere near champions league football in all honesty,  but here we are. Mostly down to Eddie’s coaching. 

God I wish we had all our players available.

This talk of him being tactically outdone is just so baffling.

2 minutes ago, OverThere said:

Hall at LB and Tino at RW didn't work but hey ho. Tino at RB or LB next game please.

I'm not sure what part of Hall at left back didn't work? He was doing fine and got a yellow that was never a booking that left him on a knife edge. Hope he starts on sat.

Just now, pedro111 said:

I'm not sure what part of Hall at left back didn't work? He was doing fine and got a yellow that was never a booking that left him on a knife edge. Hope he starts on sat.

Because even at LB Tino looks far more accomplished.

Just now, pedro111 said:

But that's not to say Hall at LB didn't work. Tino is mint, we all know.

I thought Hall looked better further up the pitch. He seemed tentative for the goal perhaps because of the yellow. Given a choice I'd say Livro and Trips as full backs. Hall will be good but needs more time.

20 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Fine margins like. Imo he adapted in-game and had us do enough with the available players to get results in both matches, particularly at home. 

Definitely fine margins but I think if we'd done enough to get a result we probably would've got more than 0 points out of six...

We had two really good chances across the whole tie with BD imo; aye, you hope our attackers do better with the efforts but you're relying on a 100% hit rate if that's all you're creating. They mostly shut us down incredibly effectively - that points to the tactical battle having been won imo.

Can't stress enough that I'm not seeking to be overly critical, it's obviously a miracle that we're here and we've been incredibly competitive. I don't even think qualification is over, far stranger things have happened.

9 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Definitely fine margins but I think if we'd done enough to get a result we probably would've got more than 0 points out of six...

We had two really good chances across the whole tie with BD imo; aye, you hope our attackers do better with the efforts but you're relying on a 100% hit rate if that's all you're creating. They mostly shut us down incredibly effectively - that points to the tactical battle having been won imo.

Can't stress enough that I'm not seeking to be overly critical, it's obviously a miracle that we're here and we've been incredibly competitive. I don't even think qualification is over, far stranger things have happened.

Last match we hit the bar twice, had two one on ones saved, and a blatant pen waved away. Tonight Joelinton headed wide an open goal. 

I think it's fair to say Howe did enough at his end to expect at least a goal in each tie, especially the home tie.

Edited by Kid Icarus

8 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I just think the whole thing with Isak was so unfortunate as he was perfectly suited to go against them.

I think Howe knew this too as he started with him in that first game, which he then got injured in early on.

Wilson didn't look a threat going up against their centre backs physically and engaging with them. They are both strong and quick. Desperately needed Isak's more clever play between the lines and down the channels.

We had some joy playing Gordon in areas behind Wilson in the second part of game 1 and maybe would have liked to see that again at some point today, but then Wilson got injured.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Last match we hit the bar twice, had two one on ones saved, and a blatant pen waved away. Tonight Joelinton headed wide an open goal. 

I think it's fair to say Howe did enough at his end to expect at least a goal in each tie.

Only Wilson's fluffed chance and Joelinton's header were big chances for me. Everything else you've listed there were from the first match and were half chances, which is the least you'd expect from us at home. It doesn't factor in the chances they spurned, either.

I don't see it as that controversial to say that we've been tactically outdone in both ties tbh. Not embarrassed by any stretch, obviously, but in both games we've looked like newcomers to the competition.

It's a weird one , literally nobody has done Eddie over two games like Dortmund have and I don't even think they are that good. They will probably get to the second round / quarters at best , even an awful Chelsea team knocked them out last season, is just one of them things . No blame at all on Eddie for me .