Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

4 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Aye I get that, just people were talking about the say that the manager should have.

I didn't see your post tbf, just posting in general response to all the concern trolling about Howe's influence on recruitment.

Edited by Kid Icarus

8 minutes ago, Bellis80 said:

Agree with that. But they didn’t get any better in the five years they were there. When he needed to sign Premier League players he struggled.

Apart from the fact he established them as a Premier League club. 

2 minutes ago, Bellis80 said:

Getting Bournemouth promoted was a great job. But if you get relegated 5 years later, signed 40 players in the meantime and still playing half the team you got promoted with I don’t think you’ve signed very well.

I disagree. The Premier League is always moving. You have to sign and progress and change just to 'stay still'. A club of Bournemouth's stature would struggle to remain in our division especially with FFP etc. So consolidation is, in itself, an achievement.

8 minutes ago, Bellis80 said:

Getting Bournemouth promoted was a great job. But if you get relegated 5 years later, signed 40 players in the meantime and still playing half the team you got promoted with I don’t think you’ve signed very well.

You are missing an important concept... context.

This is Bournemouth, they were literally searching the bargain bin and they survived 5 years.

3 minutes ago, Bellis80 said:

They weren’t though. They were spending as much as anyone.

Looking at expenditure during the 5 years they where in the Premier League, they where ranked 15th, all bar one team below them had spent time outside the league in that 5 year period:

Screenshot_20240226-173040.png

His transfer business at Bournemouth was pretty solid mind, not perfect by any means, but not sure why he gets so much criticism for it.

Obviously Ibe was a high profile flop, but the lad had pretty unfortunate circumstances.

10 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

His transfer business at Bournemouth was pretty solid mind, not perfect by any means, but not sure why he gets so much criticism for it.

Obviously Ibe was a high profile flop, but the lad had pretty unfortunate circumstances.

Think it's because Solanke and Danjuma were also classed as flops until it was undeniable that he was right all along. 

18 minutes ago, 54 said:

Looking at expenditure during the 5 years they where in the Premier League, they where ranked 15th, all bar one team below them had spent time outside the league in that 5 year period:

Screenshot_20240226-173040.png

Net balance of 8th. He's alright, but not an elite talent ID guy

image.thumb.png.8e00970439fd86ef2bb86b8fe58b27b8.png

As often seems to be the case with Howe, he sets a rod for his own back and is a victim of his own success. Bournemouth being 8th on that list should be a joke that you'd only see on some mad 10 season FM save.

22 minutes ago, Bellis80 said:

They weren’t though. They were spending as much as anyone.

You do realise why 50m for Bournemouth isn't 50m for say Liverpool?

Liverpool got Alexis MacAllister for 30 odd million, that's because players like MacAllister, for example, don't want to join Bournemouth.

In essence, it's far easier for bigger clubs to spend wisely, when players are throwing themselves at you. 

For a club like Bournemouth, you can end up paying massive money on average players.

"And it is difficult to escape the feeling that the club misstepped by having one eye on the future when the present needed to be addressed last year."

^Re Ashworth and Howe's hope to have more influence long term. 

It's like Howe not being absolutely perfect is some sort of "gotcha". Yeah, good luck finding perfect.

We've got an amazing manager, who only wants to be better at everything he does. Even if I'm frustrated with current form, in general, I'm in dreamland.

It's funny to me that there is so much fume at the moment, when in my living memory 15/20 years or so, this is probably the 2nd best year supporting the club :lol:

Just now, 54 said:

It's funny to me that there is so much fume at the moment, when in my living memory 15/20 years or so, this is probably the 2nd best year supporting the club :lol:

Got to get that anger out there somehow 

Net spend is a bollocks stat without context. Bournemouth got into the PL with a bunch of players that were with them from division 2. They're not going to be able to sell them to reduce their net spend. The players they spend money on would take time before being sold for profit. For example, sell Solanke now and it would balance out a lot of what they spent.

It's like us now. We can't balance our expenditure by selling players because most our players are Ashley era players and aren't worth anything. The only ones worth anything we can't afford to sell.

Edited by healthyaddiction

3 minutes ago, TRC said:

For me I think the field is so good now he's middle of the pack.

Disagree entirely. Klopp and Guardiola are better.

There's zero evidence that Arteta, De Zerbi, Emery or anyone else would have been capable of what Howe has done here and there's plenty of reasons why someone like Arteta is doing so well... when you can cherry pick the likes of Declan Rice.

People wax lyrical about Emery (rightly so) but he ain't finishing 4th this year IMO.

Howe certainly isn't middle of the pack.

Just now, 54 said:

I was guttedly texting non-NUFC mates about the Arsenal match on Monday and after the last message I could be arsed responding to just thought to myself "never before have I felt gutted at the prospect of 'just' a top ten finish". :lol: Really does put it in to perspective sometimes.

My sole issue with more Howe power regarding transfer is that he seems to value PL experience highly. Nothing wrong with that, but we have to be better than anyone else to grow faster than the rest. We need to beat the market so to speak. To me as an armchair expert, it tells me that we need to look abroad to buy players, not to save money but to get more for the money.

Bruno cost like 40, you get Billing or McTom for that in the PL. Lower potential and lower potential resell value.

We need to be smart and take a bit more risk imo.