Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

19 hours ago, PauloGeordio said:

Plus the longevity he still has. Once we hit Regular European football/trophies he’s here for the long haul too.

I’ve always used/considered Norwich City at home as his first official game in charge (30.11.21) as, although he was appointed on 8th November, he wasn’t actually in charge of the team until then. Looks like the two prior games (Brentford at H on 20th, and Arsenal A on 27th) have been used to tot up to 100. I’m now deeply statistically troubled 😕 

1 minute ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

I’ve always used/considered Norwich City at home as his first official game in charge (30.11.21) as, although he was appointed on 8th November, he wasn’t actually in charge of the team until then. Looks like the two prior games (Brentford at H on 20th, and Arsenal A on 27th) have been used to tot up to 100. I’m now deeply statistically troubled 😕 

Brentford at home was the first game he was manager for; albeit he missed it due to Covid. He was in the dugout for Arsenal though. 

6 minutes ago, NWMag said:

Brentford at home was the first game he was manager for; albeit he missed it due to Covid. He was in the dugout for Arsenal though. 

Thanks I vaguely recalled it was COVID related. Think I read an interview with him/someone where it said Norwich was the first time he was properly in charge (team selection, tactics etc) guessed the other two he relied on Gateshead Graeme; who was only officially interim manager for the previous three games. Do you think the ‘official’ records will include Brentford and Arsenal? 

12 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Thanks I vaguely recalled it was COVID related. Think I read an interview with him/someone where it said Norwich was the first time he was properly in charge (team selection, tactics etc) guessed the other two he relied on Gateshead Graeme; who was only officially interim manager for the previous three games. Do you think the ‘official’ records will include Brentford and Arsenal? 

Yeah the official records will include them I think, I imagine it will include any game that took place after we announced him as the new manager.

Posted (edited)

Here's a corrected Eddie Howe record--with the two games (20th and 27th) prior to Norwich City at home on 30th November 2021--in comparison to other managers (who have at least a full season's worth of PL games).

image.thumb.png.440fba1176af26f7890c828e50e1e4c9.png

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

9 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Incredible record considering he took over a relegation team. 

Isn’t it. His points per game (ppg) for the 27 games in 2021-22 is 1.63. Seems harsh to include the first few but guess they count/will be on him.  We’ll need another six points this season to match that. Currently 1.51ppg. 
Even more incredible his ppg for the 19 games Jan to May 2021-22, with a relegation threatened side, plus a few January additions, was 2.0 ppg. For comparison Villa are comfortably in 4th, this year, with 1.86ppg and we had 1.87ppg to finish fourth last season. 

24 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Here's a corrected Eddie Howe record--with the two games (20th and 27th) prior to Norwich City at home on 30th November 2021--in comparison to other managers (who have at least a full season's worth of PL games).

image.thumb.png.8bc46b9aed5ef5d2611d177a1eb6b8b3.png

Are those Keegan GD numbers correct? Insane if so. 

As if people seriously think Howe isn’t cut out for this job. Give up following football if you think he’s not up to it 

Just now, gbandit said:

As if people seriously think Howe isn’t cut out for this job. Give up following football if you think he’s not up to it 

The Irish TV at the weekend spending the build-up talking about how he still might lose his job was genuinely unreal :lol:

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, PRL said:

Are those Keegan GD numbers correct? Insane if so. 

Thanks, goals scored correct. Missed a season a couple of cells on goals against. Will correct.

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

5 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

The Irish TV at the weekend spending the build-up talking about how he still might lose his job was genuinely unreal :lol:

Pundits and Youtubers always talking rubbish.

I heard someone say Emery isn't in the same boat as Howe next season because Villa haven't spent money like us. And it's like errrr..... yes they have. They are also right up against FFP limits.

In totality, he's probably had a 10-game (at most) shakey period in his management with us. And that was how he dealt with a very bad hand at that too. If he gets us European football he's bullet-proof next season.

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It’s a possibility even though highly remote I’d say. They’ll review the season and probably come to the same conclusions most of us agree on.

I don’t think there’s one supporter who doesn’t like him. We all want him to succeed. The board will be the same. He represents the club very well and has mostly managed well and disarmed the uncomfortable questions that were a mainstay at the beginning.

His style of play (when we’re playing well) is something everyone can be on board with.

This style provides risk though, we will probably always have a big injury list until we have a squad similar to the top clubs where we can rotate without diminishing our chances of winning matches.

Consistency needs to improve but this is probably down to managing injuries and being more tactically diverse. We’ve shown some signs of that recently but still a lot of room to improve on.

I believe he’ll get next season and will be judged on results with a stronger squad, how he gets on up against the top clubs.

I think there’s a chance there. Liverpool and possibly Man Utd will be in a transitional phase, Spurs don’t seem to be able to maintain a good run, Chelsea will be in the top 4 next season. Arsenal will maintain their challenger status regardless of what happens this season, as will City. Villa will run into similar bother that we did this season, let’s see how they cope.

So there’s a chance, a strong chance for top 4 next season. If we don’t make that I think the club will then make a change.

Which is reasonable I think.

Eddie has done a tremendous job no doubt, but I don’t see anyone actually calling for his head so it’s a very strange narrative that gets posted. 

He’s also outspent every other manager by all metrics too which is obviously something to keep in mind. 

7 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Eddie has done a tremendous job no doubt, but I don’t see anyone actually calling for his head so it’s a very strange narrative that gets

Not directly as in bed sheets and shouts from the stands

But a few months ago there was plenty murmurings of him taking us as far as he can etc

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

There are a number of posters who still say he’s taken us as far as he can 

Yeah maybe but that’s what? Less than 1% of Newcastle fans? Statistically Irrelevant 

54 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Eddie has done a tremendous job no doubt, but I don’t see anyone actually calling for his head so it’s a very strange narrative that gets posted. 

He’s also outspent every other manager by all metrics too which is obviously something to keep in mind. 

The post right above yours, written in the passive aggressive style that dominated the winter, is suggesting his job will be reviewed this summer and he has one more season to really prove himself.

1 minute ago, timeEd32 said:

The post right above yours, written in the passive aggressive style that dominated the winter, is suggesting his job will be reviewed this summer and he has one more season to really prove himself.

I mean, it’s true to an extent right? If we are mid table come the end of the next season he would likely be under pressure. Especially if he’s backed again this summer. 

That’s how things work at ambitious clubs right or wrong. 

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

They were just reading aloud some posts on here man. 

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Yeah maybe but that’s what? Less than 1% of Newcastle fans? Statistically Irrelevant 

This. Obviously it can get grating when it crops up on the forum, but it's really not worth giving serious attention to. It's very much a minority.

Hell, he could win us a trophy and after the euphoria dies down I'm confident there'll still be at least a couple of people saying 'right but can he do it again? I'm not so sure, I hope we've got a plan B ready just in case' . 

3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I mean, it’s true to an extent right? If we are mid table come the end of the next season he would likely be under pressure. Especially if he’s backed again this summer. 

That’s how things work at ambitious clubs right or wrong. 

Sure, but there’s a big difference between top 4 and mid-table. 

16 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

Sure, but there’s a big difference between top 4 and mid-table. 

For sure, it’s why I used mid table rather than say the conference league, the top is obviously highly contested. 

Playing EAFC 24 for the first time, and after 20 minutes of pitch time over 2 games, with 3 goals and 4 assists my manager Eddie Howe:

Im disappointed in your growth.

You aren't doing good enough, unless you improve over the next few games you're going out on loan.

A.I. Eddie is a bit of a cunt tbh... 🤣

3 minutes ago, Joe1984 said:

Playing EAFC 24 for the first time, and after 20 minutes of pitch time over 2 games, with 3 goals and 4 assists my manager Eddie Howe:

Im disappointed in your growth.

You aren't doing good enough, unless you improve over the next few games you're going out on loan.

A.I. Eddie is a bit of a cunt tbh... 🤣

Allegedly the “real” Eddie can be ruthless when required to be!