Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

'In anyway' is my personal hell. Think it's just Geordies who do that. 

‘In anyways’ is definitely used a lot by local inner city Dublin folk and I for one am I prick for using it a lot especially when I’m pissed up [emoji38]

17 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

After having 6th in our hands for a while now being out of any sort of Europe next season feels like a bit of a failure to me. Maybe harsh given the assortment of problems we've had across this season but that's how I feel at this current moment in time

This

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Cronky said:

Even if we have better luck with injuries, I don't think our squad is strong enough to deal with that sort of workload successfully. Particularly when you consider how travel time in Europe eats into the availability for training and indeed appropriate rest.

The example of Villa gets cited, but in terms of their individual players, I think both their first team and their squad is that bit better than ours. Eddie is continuing to get more from our players than we have a right to expect.

Which is an issue that needs to be addressed in the summer; our RW hasn't been good enough really for a couple years now and we have a permacrock in Wilson as our secondary striker to Isak. 

If we get Conference League and in October we're having to field Isak against Vaduz or Dynamo Eastern Bloc Shithole as well as PL matches then we've reapt what we've sown in the summer. 

Edited by HaydnNUFC

Some of the names people come up with are funny I must admit but I'd love an embargo on the dissing of clubs who aren't among the higher echelons of European football. It comes across a bit 'Western'. :lol:

Put some respect on Zimbru Chisinau's name, dammit.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Some of the names people come up with are funny I must admit but I'd love an embargo on the dissing of clubs who aren't among the higher echelons of European football. It comes across a bit 'Western'. :lol:

Put some respect on Zimbru Chisinau's name, dammit.

If I get the time, money and ticket(s) without the club thinking I'm an Untermensch for wanting to support Newcastle United away from home, I'd absolutely love to do Dinamo Tbilisi away.

Until then, the disrespect for the likes of Klaksvíkar Ítróttarfelag will continue. 

Edited by HaydnNUFC

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Shearergol said:

Dunno why but people constantly saying "loosing" instead of "losing" really winds me up. Only loosers do it.

As someone who doesnt have english as a primary language, loosing feels natural to write. Probably made the mistake before myself. Lose/loose pretty much sounds the same. English is in many ways a nonsensical language. A bunch of germanics trying to sound french. Dont hate us for not being able to keep up with your nonsense every time.

Edited by Displayname

4 minutes ago, Displayname said:

As someone who doesnt have english as a primary language, loosing feels natural to write. Probably made the mistake before myself. Lose/loose pretty much sounds the same. English is in many ways a nonsensical language. A bunch of germanics trying to sound french. Dont hate us for not being able to keep up with your nonsense every time.

Looze / Luice

Depends on accent and dialect I guess, but I disagree with that part in bold.

4 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Looze / Luice

Depends on accent and dialect I guess, but I disagree with that part in bold.

Do it in a Mackem accent.  Definitely homophones in that part of the world

5 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Which is an issue that needs to be addressed in the summer; our RW hasn't been good enough really for a couple years now and we have a permacrock in Wilson as our secondary striker to Isak. 

If we get Conference League and in October we're having to field Isak against Vaduz or Dynamo Eastern Bloc Shithole as well as PL matches then we've reapt what we've sown in the summer. 

Wood is out of contract, canny goal haul this season

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Displayname said:

It's pretty simple to be honest:

'Loose' sounds like: juice, bruce, deuce, mousse or use [when a noun].

'Lose' sounds like: Lewes, loos, Lou's, chews, Hughes, blues and two's.

Don't understand why this is so hard for non-native speakers.

Edited by Checko

3 minutes ago, Checko said:

Exactly. I've no doubt English is complicated to non-native speakers but don't create battles where they don't exist. The two words are spelled differently to reflect the difference in pronunciation.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Exactly. I've no doubt English is complicated to non-native speakers but don't create battles where they don't exist. The two words are spelled differently to reflect the difference in pronunciation.

Agreed. I mite right a peace four the Sunderland Echo a bow tit.

Edited by Checko

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Checko said:

I dont know, maybe its just me. But in my head all these words have very similar pronounciation. The voice in my head is more american rather than english though, dont know if that makes a difference.

But the fact that you can write the same pronounciation in so many different ways, even if we just look at the ones you listed together, kinda emphasizes my point thats its not exactly a straight forward language ;)

Edited by Displayname

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Cronky said:

The example of Villa gets cited, but in terms of their individual players, I think both their first team and their squad is that bit better than ours. Eddie is continuing to get more from our players than we have a right to expect.

Yet we are now eight points ahead of Villa in expected points, in a season with an unprecedented injury crisis. Eddie has been dealt a bad hand in so many different ways this season.

Edited by Pata

10 hours ago, Groundhog63 said:

Can anyone provide any evidence of any club in the entire history of, let's make it easy and narrow it down to just English, football where a manager has stood down for cup games and let "the guys" do them? 

?

Even by N-O standards, that's Whacky af 

Stephen Big-Dog Bruce used to do it for league games!

It seems hard enough for many native speakers, let alone non-natives.

'Lose' doesn't sound like Lewes. Lewes sounds like Lewis.

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Lewis Miley seems to be pronounced Lou-ee despite his name not being Louis.

I actually didn’t know that? they’re even fucking with the native speakers now.

4 hours ago, Checko said:

Love it.  Well explained.

2 hours ago, Displayname said:

I dont know, maybe its just me. But in my head all these words have very similar pronounciation. The voice in my head is more american rather than english though, dont know if that makes a difference.

But the fact that you can write the same pronounciation in so many different ways, even if we just look at the ones you listed together, kinda emphasizes my point thats its not exactly a straight forward language ;)

Eh?

From fbref. Couldn't find the xA from set pieces. Trippier has taken 225 set pieces while Gordon has taken 65.

Gordon: 2 assists, 18 set piece passes that leads to a goal attempt
Trippier: 3 assists, 28 set piece passes that leads to a goal attempt

Trippier: 1,33% lead to an assist, 12,44% lead to a goal attempt
Gordon: 3,08% lead to an assist, 27,69% lead to a goal attempt

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems credible. It's difficult to understand why Howe doesn't see it himself. Tunnel vision?

7 hours ago, Erikse said:

From fbref. Couldn't find the xA from set pieces. Trippier has taken 225 set pieces while Gordon has taken 65.

Gordon: 2 assists, 18 set piece passes that leads to a goal attempt
Trippier: 3 assists, 28 set piece passes that leads to a goal attempt

Trippier: 1,33% lead to an assist, 12,44% lead to a goal attempt
Gordon: 3,08% lead to an assist, 27,69% lead to a goal attempt

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems credible. It's difficult to understand why Howe doesn't see it himself. Tunnel vision?

Yeah and we can all see it. Each time Tripps steps up to take a free kick or a corner I just expect it to lead to nothing, which more often than not it does. Gordon’s corner kicking has proved more productive so him and Lewis Hall should be taking corners with the free kicks shared out between him, Lewis Hall, Schär and then Tripps [emoji38]