Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

The ruthless thing thrown around is ridiculous tbh. You can’t be ruthless if no one wants your players, and FFP restrictions mean you can’t spend much.

Either way he does have his favourites that always seem to play no matter what and even when they aren't very good .

It won't happen obviously but I would go as far as saying that only Isak, Bruno , Gordon and Hall of the players that started tonight should be getting regular game time for us next season .

Edited by Geogaddi

I don't understand why some of you get so rattled when it's pointed out that he might be under some pressure right now and heading into the next season. He's not your dad you know? He's had a tough and difficult season having to deal with so many injuries and the Tonali situation and has done reasonably well all things considered. 

There's been some amazing games and there's been some abysmal ones. It is what it is. The business is absolutely ruthless. Just look at other clubs in the country.

I'm certain if we can keep injuries at bay and shift some of the deadwood in the squad, he will have a truly excellent season again. Time will tell.

Posted (edited)

Murphy has a good delivery in him but hes too weak.. Loses any 50/50 that he contests or is afraid to contest..Maybe its harsh but we cant afford passengers if our journey is to go to the very top, let alone 4 passengers each lineup

Edited by johnny36

I’m assuming Pope musn’t be ready to return. Wouldn’t bother putting him on bench if so, i’d rather see Karius in goal than Dubravka. 

Just now, Vinny Green Balls said:

It’s idiotic to say what you said before this. You haven’t shown any brilliant powers of prognostication, nor has anyone else here really. You are not some brave whistleblower telling us the hard truths. You are in the pool with the rest of us peasants, but just sometimes make the experience unpleasant for everyone. That’s all. 

I have my opinion nothing more. If it's that unpleasant (as for anyone else) you're more than welcome to put me on ignore. After all you're just a person on a message board who I'll nearly certainly never meet face to face. I'm not some whistleblower, all I'm saying is that in my opinion he will be under massive pressure and then what happens is that some spit their dummies out instead of actually trying to give their opinion on why they think that is not the case. It was the same with Rafa also when he was manager.

If we finish 8th then serious questions need to be raised about him tactically. Definitely mitigating circumstances this season but I have big doubts about this uber-press style and it's ability to win big games and sustain throughout a season going forward. We have very little control in games.
If he starts next season poorly i'd be looking at Hoeness or Fonseca come November time.

9 minutes ago, Decky said:

Howe needs to learn to be confident and deliver under pressure. To end the season without Europe from where we were is shite. Give me shit all you want but performances need to improve. We’ve been shit in most recent games. 

Where we were when? 

1 minute ago, Donut said:

I don't understand why some of you get so rattled when it's pointed out that he might be under some pressure right now and heading into the next season. He's not your dad you know? He's had a tough and difficult season having to deal with so many injuries and the Tonali situation and has done reasonably well all things considered. 

There's been some amazing games and there's been some abysmal ones. It is what it is. The business is absolutely ruthless. Just look at other clubs in the country.

I'm certain if we can keep injuries at bay and shift some of the deadwood in the squad, he will have a truly excellent season again. Time will tell.

It’s not unreasonable at all, but it doesn’t help when posters post it with such blatant hubris, and often fail to admit the times they themselves have been wrong.

the Pope thing is weird, like. I think he should explain it. 

If it's unsafe for him to be in goal then surely he shouldn't be on the bench. 

Just now, Smal said:

the Pope thing is weird, like. I think he should explain it. 

If it's unsafe for him to be in goal then surely he shouldn't be on the bench. 

Surely we know there’s a big difference between being unsafe to play and fully fit. 

If FFP and FMV leaves us with a similarly weak squad next season and eventually costs us a Bruno or Isak, I suppose 5-8th is the only realistic long-term target whoever our manager is.

Mind I do agree he’s not shown (yet) he can be ruthless in his team selections, tonight isn’t on him. 

Away form over the season has been shit so I suppose that is on him, but tonight we could/should have scored 5 or 6.

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Surely we know there’s a big difference between being unsafe to play and fully fit. 

well yeah, for an outfield player sure. That's been evident with our outfield players all season.

I don't really get it with a goalkeeper though. If there's a big risk he's going to hurt himself by diving then... he shouldn't be on the bench. Otherwise if he's fine then surely he has to start in front of Dubravka who's been awful all season?

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

I have my opinion nothing more. If it's that unpleasant (as for anyone else) you're more than welcome to put me on ignore. After all you're just a person on a message board who I'll nearly certainly never meet face to face. I'm not some whistleblower, all I'm saying is that in my opinion he will be under massive pressure and then what happens is that some spit their dummies out instead of actually trying to give their opinion on why they think that is not the case. It was the same with Rafa also when he was manager.

I never had a reason to block you, man. I have no problems with you. I just think that some of your comments here have been full of hubris. 

you don’t need to stoop to calling people sheep or claiming that you have your finger on the pulse of reality while everyone else is clueless. It’s part of some of the most annoying social media tropes, and it doesn’t help your otherwise valid argument at all. 

Just now, Smal said:

well yeah, for an outfield player sure. That's been evident with our outfield players all season.

I don't really get it with a goalkeeper though. If there's a big risk he's going to hurt himself by diving then... he shouldn't be on the bench. Otherwise if he's fine then surely he has to start in front of Dubravka who's been awful all season?

Why does it have to be about hurting himself though? Maybe he’s just not fully ready or fully sharp? I think we can be confident Howe knows Pope is better than Dubravka. 

3 minutes ago, Donut said:

There is no intelligent reasoning behind claims he is under pressure. It's the same silly reaction after every loss, because certain people are sure they know exactly who should be playing, what formation should be played and when subs should be made.

This manager has been punching above his weight since he got here and continues to do so with some diabolical players still having to be utilized. Mostly because he is getting more than expected out of these players, whilst having supplemented them with excellent signings of his own.

I'm sure the same owners that have publicly stated we are ahead of schedule, and who have seen players already at the club and players signed, continue to increase in value, can't wait to get rid.

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Maybe he’s just not fully ready or fully sharp?

I'd probably expect a half-fit Nick Pope to save all three of their goals, or maybe just the second and third ones on a bad day. That's how big the difference between him and Dubravka - who is honestly not a Prem or even Championship standard goalkeeper these days - is. Dubravka has been conceding goals like this all season to an embarrassing degree. There are a variety of other reasons Dubravka makes us so much worse as well.

This is what I mean by wondering whether Pope isn't playing because of the risk of injury. It's the only justification I can think of. 

6 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Why does it have to be about hurting himself though? Maybe he’s just not fully ready or fully sharp? I think we can be confident Howe knows Pope is better than Dubravka. 

:thup: As much as I'm gagging for Pope back in goal it's not exactly outlandish to see why he'd prefer a 'match sharp' Dubs over him, but if we needed to call upon a 'keeper off the bench it's a no brainer of Pope over Karius when neither are 'match sharp'.

Howe won't be under pressure currently. The noises coming out of the club all season is how everyone was prepared for it to be a much tougher campaign, the injuries on top of all that just made it worse. Now, if we don't get Europe and find ourselves in a similar position this time (or even come Jan/Feb) next season, then he will be under big pressure. 

On another day we win that quite easily. Haven’t had the chance to say that about us at Old Trafford much in my lifetime so I’ll try to take tonight as something of a positive.

Games like this just make me think about how good we could be with some key upgrades and fewer injuries. Even in defeat we’re usually scoring a few and could/should have scored even more. 100 goals in a season is a very real prospect.

Just now, Vinny Green Balls said:

I never had a reason to block you, man. I have no problems with you. I just think that some of your comments here have been full of hubris. 

you don’t need to stoop to calling people sheep or claiming that you have your finger on the pulse of reality while everyone else is clueless. It’s part of some of the most annoying social media tropes, and it doesn’t help your otherwise valid argument at all. 

If people start going off one without actually giving a reason, then I'm going to give it back. All I said was like it or not he is going to be under massive pressure next season. I also give my reasons for that and I also stated that he deserves the opportunity next season. They are clueless if they just then start bitching off without even saying why. That is a sheep response. Anyway as I said there is always the ignore button (not you personally) for everyone, makes no difference to me. 

58 minutes ago, Andy said:

Tonight summed the season up really, played well in spells but just not good enough consistently, and way too sloppy at the back. 

When you look at the team we've started with for most of the season, and particularly the bench, it would be hard to argue it as being better than the 7th or 8th best lineup in the league. We are where we belong. Pretty much a "par" season from Eddie, all things considered. 

Fuck me, where did this beacon of reality come from ??

100% 

cannit blame howe for today. blame the poor finishing.

the system worked and created us a handful of easy chances.

surely the goalkeeper coaches study the goals and have a discussiion with eddie. the keeper's the only strange decision tonight.