Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

He won't. He knows how to play the media. Good end to the season - just annoying we couldn't pinch 6th when it was at an arms reach.

Just now, Ronaldo said:

Was never a thing. 99.9% of the fans adore him. Bloody rare that.

Not the majority, certainly a smaller minority but once things started to unravel there were big questions being asked and "Howe is on thin ice" seemed to be mentioned alot around here. Now, as far as the fanbase not on here? I, unfortunately for me, do not live in Newcastle or even England so not sure. You might be 100% right, I would hope you would be.

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

Would love to know the stats for how quickly we score goals so quickly after each other

Us scoring the 2nd and 3rd today feels like the umpteenth time since Howe took charge that we've scored multiple goals in really quick succession

It's happened absolutely loads this season; surely a tactic. 

Burn and Botman vs Sheffield United

Almiron and Bruno vs Sheffield United

Isak x2 vs West Ham

Gordon and Longstaff vs Palace

Lascelles and Joelinton vs Chelsea

Isak and Gordon vs Man City

Schar x2 vs Villa

Isak and OG vs Sheffield United

Longstaff and Bruno vs Burnley

Murphy and Isak vs Brentford

That's goals with five minutes or fewer between them. It would be even more if I'd extended it to only six or seven minutes. 

image.png.7e3c06f3ea2786feea3c570aa2ad7e56.png

A picture tells a thousand words. Immense at home, decidedly dodgy away. Not too many 0's there either

Said at the start of the season that 6th or 7th would be about par so going into the last game with a chance of 6th, 7th or 8th seems about right. But that ignores the context of how we've got there, I said 6th or 7th based on a normal season but it's been anything but normal. The horrendous Cup draws, skewed League fixture list, the Tonali ban, the ridiculous injury situation, the Paris mugging, the Liverpool (H) kick in the knackers, the same XI for about 10 games in a row through no fault of anyone and Pope's digestive shoulder. 7th doesn't quite tell the story and we've defied the odds to get there when 11th or 12th was a real prospect in February. 

All things considered he's done brilliantly but I bet he'll want to draw a line under this season, lots of good memories, lots of great goals and performances but it seems a little bitter-sweet as it could have been so much better with a few things falling in our favour. But that's the game, it happens, not sure he could have done too much better given the cards he was dealt  

We had the most Different Goal Scorers this season :celb:

Premier League - Distribution of goals (Detailed view) | Transfermarkt

45 minutes ago, midds said:

A picture tells a thousand words. Immense at home, decidedly dodgy away. Not too many 0's there either

Said at the start of the season that 6th or 7th would be about par so going into the last game with a chance of 6th, 7th or 8th seems about right. But that ignores the context of how we've got there, I said 6th or 7th based on a normal season but it's been anything but normal. The horrendous Cup draws, skewed League fixture list, the Tonali ban, the ridiculous injury situation, the Paris mugging, the Liverpool (H) kick in the knackers, the same XI for about 10 games in a row through no fault of anyone and Pope's digestive shoulder. 7th doesn't quite tell the story and we've defied the odds to get there when 11th or 12th was a real prospect in February. 

All things considered he's done brilliantly but I bet he'll want to draw a line under this season, lots of good memories, lots of great goals and performances but it seems a little bitter-sweet as it could have been so much better with a few things falling in our favour. But that's the game, it happens, not sure he could have done too much better given the cards he was dealt  

That fucking forest result. Lowest point of the season. World wood hattrick as well. Fuck.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Dokko said:

That fucking forest result. Lowest point of the season. World wood hattrick as well. Fuck.

Season's nadir, that. Out of the CL cruelly the week or so before. then getting lucky with it only being a 1-0 defeat at Luton. A few days later going a goal up against Forest before collapsing, Chris Wood beating the total he scored at SJP for us against us in 1 game and Forest looking like 2007-08 Man Utd on the counter attack.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

52 minutes ago, midds said:

Some right gutters of results in that table. Chelsea, Luton, Everton and Brighton 

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Season's nadir, that. Out of the CL cruelly the week or so before. then getting lucky with it only being a 1-0 defeat at Luton. A few days later going a goal up against Forest before collapsing, Chris Wood being made to look like prime Berbatov and Forest looking like 2007-08 Man Utd on the counter attack.

Aye, that was like a week out of my life transferred into the body of nufc. 

It was hard going and took a couple of months to get over. Anything learned from that is to bounce back quicker, and they will. That level of disappointment was hard to take from everyone.

He’s pretty much universally liked here, loved maybe.. he’s not got that Keegan sentimentality that tugs at the heart strings so there’ll always be a sort of politeness/well spoken vibe with him.

But as someone mentioned, you’d only swap him for a small handful of managers globally. And I’d echo that. I think though, the difference between him and that small handful of managers is the difference between doing really really well and then actually winning trophies.

Am happy for him to continue and I hope he can address some of the issues that have plagued us this year. It’s a big summer coming up. I want to be proven wrong like.

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

You want to be proven wrong but you think he’s one of the best managers in the world? 

Fair point. :D

5 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

I think though, the difference between him and that small handful of managers is the difference between doing really really well and then actually winning trophies.

I don't think this is fair. It would be really hard even for Pep or Klopp to win trophies with this squad when the competition is so tough unless we get a favourable run of cup ties like in LC last season. Just have to stay patient and keep improving the squad.

2 hours ago, McDog said:

Not the majority, certainly a smaller minority but once things started to unravel there were big questions being asked and "Howe is on thin ice" seemed to be mentioned alot around here. Now, as far as the fanbase not on here? I, unfortunately for me, do not live in Newcastle or even England so not sure. You might be 100% right, I would hope you would be.

Ronaldo is like a WWE referee on here. There are 3 or 4 usual suspects on this forum. Certainly not even a sizable majority though. They just post a lot.

Absolutely mad looking table in expected points considering the circumstances, finished fourth ahead of Chelsea. N-O darling Emery 10 points behind, media darling Ange 8 points behind. Not even going to mention Erik the fraud, hope he gets another season. Eddie is a magician.

nufc23-24.thumb.png.73138f7fb0d9931bd3b20453d3acaa47.png

Pope all season we are 6th.

Pope + JL all season we’re 5th. 
Pope + JL + Barnes all season we’re 4th.

add Tonali and Botman all season we’ve won the World Cup. 

Just now, Kanji said:

That would been epic. First time ever a non national team won the World Cup, but alas, not to be.

8 minutes ago, Kanji said:

This undercooks it. Pope alone probably gives us fifth. Villa in fourth even only finished 8 points above us.

I see the season as mostly good but with some exasperating "sliding doors" moments. Here are a selection.

Liverpool home. Any of the misses and Alisson save from Miggy when 1-0 up. Both Nunez goals also came from sloppy errors. 

Everton away 70 mins in, looking good to go on and snatch it, and the ball goes under Trippier's foot. It kicks off the lose 6 out of 7 streak.

CL Dortmund away, a goal down but Tino gets in down the right, superb cross and Joelinton misses a point blank header. They get a second at the death

CL PSG away, the pen....

Carabao, winning with a weak team, minutes to go. Trippier gives it to Mudryk. Lose in penalty shootout.

Man City home. KDB coming on and Dubravak not saving that shot.

Just to show how knee jerk the media are, after our loss at Brighton, the tv people etc were calling Ferguson the new Shearer. Look at the season he and Brighton have had since. He may develop into a great striker, but he's certainly not there yet.

6 hours ago, Yorkie said:

It's happened absolutely loads this season; surely a tactic. 

Burn and Botman vs Sheffield United

Almiron and Bruno vs Sheffield United

Isak x2 vs West Ham

Gordon and Longstaff vs Palace

Lascelles and Joelinton vs Chelsea

Isak and Gordon vs Man City

Schar x2 vs Villa

Isak and OG vs Sheffield United

Longstaff and Bruno vs Burnley

Murphy and Isak vs Brentford

That's goals with five minutes or fewer between them. It would be even more if I'd extended it to only six or seven minutes. 

Spurs too. Camera cut back to play as Gordon was slotting it in.

Posted (edited)

I like how he's not one of these managers who tells his players do it this way or that way. He goes 'do it this way, if you like'.

Edited by Monkey Alan

7 hours ago, Pata said:

Absolutely mad looking table in expected points considering the circumstances, finished fourth ahead of Chelsea. N-O darling Emery 10 points behind, media darling Ange 8 points behind. Not even going to mention Erik the fraud, hope he gets another season. Eddie is a magician.

nufc23-24.thumb.png.73138f7fb0d9931bd3b20453d3acaa47.png

Lies, damned lies and statistics. More than anything, for me, this calls into question the value of this concept of 'expected goals', or how it's calculated.

Man U on 44 points, us 8 points ahead of Spurs and 10 in front of Villa? 

The best stat that I've come across for predicting results is 'shots on target'.