Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

38 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I think it helps Howe massively not being in Europe next season, he’d never admit it but think Thursday and Sunday football is very difficult and can impact a season hugely if squad isn’t big enough.

After having 6th in our hands for a while now being out of any sort of Europe next season feels like a bit of a failure to me. Maybe harsh given the assortment of problems we've had across this season but that's how I feel at this current moment in time.

This version of NUFC have to consistently play European football of some form imo, to raise the profile of the club, attract players, keep hold of our best players. Not achieving that given our position as recent as last week feels like a step back. And I don't even think missing out is a positive. Howe, the squad; bloody hell the club as a whole and I'm including the supporters in that need to get used to us playing 3 games a week at a decent level if we want to compete with the elite teams in this league. Congestion of fixtures has been labelled an obstacle of ours this season; successful/elite clubs play the most matches regularly. And the Conference League (as much as I wanted Europa League) is perfect for getting used to and learning how to manage a squad for minutes and fitness. What's to say we miss our on Europe altogether this season, we finish 4th or 3rd next season, that 2025-26 isn't a carbon copy of this? Probably a reach, but how I feel.

11 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

After having 6th in our hands for a while now being out of any sort of Europe next season feels like a bit of a failure to me. Maybe harsh given the assortment of problems we've had across this season but that's how I feel at this current moment in time.

This version of NUFC have to consistently play European football of some form imo, to raise the profile of the club, attract players, keep hold of our best players. Not achieving that given our position as recent as last week feels like a step back. And I don't even think missing out is a positive. Howe, the squad; bloody hell the club as a whole and I'm including the supporters in that need to get used to us playing 3 games a week at a decent level if we want to compete with the elite teams in this league. Congestion of fixtures has been labelled an obstacle of ours this season; successful/elite clubs play the most matches regularly. And the Conference League (as much as I wanted Europa League) is perfect for getting used to and learning how to manage a squad for minutes and fitness. What's to say we miss our on Europe altogether this season, we finish 4th or 3rd next season, that 2025-26 isn't a carbon copy of this? Probably a reach, but how I feel.

There were dumb fuckers on here in the new year saying we would be in a relegation fight!

Missing out at this point would be hard to swallow but then I’m looking at a team with Dubravka in goal, Krafth at centre half alongside Dan Burn, a kid who’s played about 10 games at left back, Anderson and Longstaff in midfield and Jacob Murphy on the right and I think, fucking hell, the fact we’re even in with a chance is a minor miracle. 

We won’t have another season like this with injuries, it can’t be possible ….. 

I will be happy either way. ECL could be very fun, but I also think it would hold us back in the Premier league. Sure we could play mostly reserves, but I just cant see Eddie doing that. Especially if we qualify to the knockout stage. Also think that Eddie himself only focusing on domestic games would help alot.

10 hours ago, Ginola14 said:

really think ECL could end our trophy drought and cement Howe's status and one of our greatest managers 

Firmly beleive that he'd enforce a winning mentality once we've got that monkey off our back rather than bask in it's glory like other managers do.

13 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Even if we have better luck with injuries, I don't think our squad is strong enough to deal with that sort of workload successfully. Particularly when you consider how travel time in Europe eats into the availability for training and indeed appropriate rest.

The example of Villa gets cited, but in terms of their individual players, I think both their first team and their squad is that bit better than ours. Eddie is continuing to get more from our players than we have a right to expect.

4 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Eddie is continuing to get more from our players than we have a right to expect.

I can't get my head around the same people bemoaning our "deadwood" "championship level" or "shit" players then criticising Howe for playing them, when he's got no other choice, and not giving him the credit he deserves for achieving so much carrying that alleged burden in the first place. ?

43 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

I can't get my head around the same people bemoaning our "deadwood" "championship level" or "shit" players then criticising Howe for playing them, when he's got no other choice, and not giving him the credit he deserves for achieving so much carrying that alleged burden in the first place. ?

The irony will escape them sadly

59 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Hopefully we see a changeout in the summer. How many who knows. But it would be good to at least have a few of them demoted to 2nd choice back up and the likes of Dummet, Ritchie, Lewis, Fraser etc gone. 

On 11/05/2024 at 18:22, Kid Icarus said:

Unsurprisingly your last one was the last time we lost. :lol: 

My comment had nothing to do with us loosing or winning(btw: love that you are stalking me, that means I made an impression on you :lol:), my post was about answering a post "fuck off you tit".  When someone put an effort in posting their oppinion in here even though we agree or not, I dont think it justifies with a answer like that or personal abuse and would have loved if the admins/moderators did something with it.. Also I see clearly where you stand on this matter..

I have seen more and more personal attacks on this forum in the later years than it use to be, and I was sick of it so I got drawn in..Maybe I was more irritated because we lost and thats why I posted? sorry about that. I use this forum mostly to read peoples opinion about the game and not how they feel about other users. I used to read this forum on daily basis, now just occasionally, and have started to read it less and less because of shit like this... Also believe alot of people might not write on here becuase of this enviroment, which means we might lose interesting posts.

Btw to the rest answering about the gender: I dont know or care if "Dancing Brave" is a male, female, transgender, gender neutral, non-binary, agender, pangender, genderqueer, two-spirit, third gender, and all, none or a combination of these(or even a horse), I just thought it was a guy because of the answer.. That was me stereotyping an answer like that and also me loosing fait in humanity...

Back to your comment about me just posting only when we are loosing: I also tried posting about us not playing up to our best this season after we won a game, then I got told we had just won so there where now room for comments like that when we where winning :lol: So i guess we should all put on pink sunglasses and never question anything..   :dance:

Sorry for the late and long post, trying to answer all in one..

28 minutes ago, Begbie said:

My comment had nothing to do with us loosing or winning(btw: love that you are stalking me, that means I made an impression on you :lol:), my post was about answering a post "fuck off you tit".  When someone put an effort in posting their oppinion in here even though we agree or not, I dont think it justifies with a answer like that or personal abuse and would have loved if the admins/moderators did something with it.. Also I see clearly where you stand on this matter..

I have seen more and more personal attacks on this forum in the later years than it use to be, and I was sick of it so I got drawn in..Maybe I was more irritated because we lost and thats why I posted? sorry about that. I use this forum mostly to read peoples opinion about the game and not how they feel about other users. I used to read this forum on daily basis, now just occasionally, and have started to read it less and less because of shit like this... Also believe alot of people might not write on here becuase of this enviroment, which means we might lose interesting posts.

Btw to the rest answering about the gender: I dont know or care if "Dancing Brave" is a male, female, transgender, gender neutral, non-binary, agender, pangender, genderqueer, two-spirit, third gender, and all, none or a combination of these(or even a horse), I just thought it was a guy because of the answer.. That was me stereotyping an answer like that and also me loosing fait in humanity...

Back to your comment about me just posting only when we are loosing: I also tried posting about us not playing up to our best this season after we won a game, then I got told we had just won so there where now room for comments like that when we where winning :lol: So i guess we should all put on pink sunglasses and never question anything..   :dance:

Sorry for the late and long post, trying to answer all in one..

I've had my issues with the general attitude on certain things on here at times over the years, but flippant stuff like that immediately after a loss has always been a thing and so in the minority that it's incredibly easy to ignore. I wouldn't take it too seriously, there are far more toxic places online, but each to their own. 

I am still of the opinion that at the start of the season 7th would have been a solid achievement and a good season, and still of that view.  We had a terrible time from late Nov - late Jan, but generally this has been a good season.  

And Howe should take the credit for that (though I do think there are justifiable criticisms of some of his actions, and questions about whether his style of play and training methods are a cause of the ongoing injury crises).  He is ending the season with credit in the bank, even if not quite as much as last season.

I’m looking forward to next season, especially to seeing how he has learned from this season (defensive issues; away form; etc).  I hope that’s with European football in the bag so he can implement there what he’s learned too - we’d start the season as favourites to win the Conference League, and that hasn’t been the case many times in our past.  This time next year we might be talking about getting the man a statue if he can be the one to finally get that fucking trophy albatross off our backs

13 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I've had my issues with the general attitude on certain things on here at times over the years, but flippant stuff like that immediately after a loss has always been a thing and so in the minority that it's incredibly easy to ignore. I wouldn't take it too seriously, there are far more toxic places online, but each to their own. 

Yeah you seem to be more mellow now...

What changed?

8 minutes ago, NG32 said:

Yeah you seem to be more mellow now...

What changed?

Not sure I've changed all that much tbh, I read less stuff that makes me feel like I'm living in a different reality I guess. :lol:

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

Dunno why but people constantly saying "loosing" instead of "losing" really winds me up. Only loosers do it.

Your right..

2 hours ago, Displayname said:

I will be happy either way. ECL could be very fun, but I also think it would hold us back in the Premier league. Sure we could play mostly reserves, but I just cant see Eddie doing that. Especially if we qualify to the knockout stage. Also think that Eddie himself only focusing on domestic games would help alot.

Definitely think there's something in your last point. Especially against the smaller teams, I think I'd rather Eddie let Tindall or Jones handle the preparations while he dedicates himself to the league games. I don't know for sure, but I suspect part of this season is explained by him spreading himself too thin and trying to give every game the full pre-match treatment.

As has been said, it's all part of using this season for learning lessons.

15 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Not sure I've changed all that much tbh, I read less stuff that makes me feel like I'm living in a different reality I guess. :lol:

[emoji38]

Can anyone provide any evidence of any club in the entire history of, let's make it easy and narrow it down to just English, football where a manager has stood down for cup games and let "the guys" do them? 

?

Even by N-O standards, that's Whacky af 

38 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Can anyone provide any evidence of any club in the entire history of, let's make it easy and narrow it down to just English, football where a manager has stood down for cup games and let "the guys" do them? 

?

Even by N-O standards, that's Whacky af 

"Do them"? Think it's pretty well established Alex Ferguson had his (often changing) assistant managers handle huge amounts of his tactics and training for matches. Whereas I'm under the impression Eddie, fundamentally, closely controls what goes into readying for each match.

This isn't about who stands on the sidelines for the actual match. But I'm disputing that you can meticulously prepare for each individual opponent if you're playing a game every three days, plus international travel, for several months.

17 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

This is it for me as well. Two games ago we had people thinking we could snatch 5th, now we are left hanging on other results to get any sort of European competition. I'd have been happy with conference even before now tbh, but I think missing out on Europe might have a few players getting their heads turned.