Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Just now, Dr Venkman said:

You know we intentionally didn’t press them today, don’t you?

We haven’t been intentionally pressing anyone.

”Intensity is our identity” and all…

1 minute ago, mouldy_uk said:

People just assess everything based on the last 10 minutes we’ve played. Probably a symptom of modern day short attention spans. 

I don't think we've played well since we qualified for CL tbh and I've said that before. Our football is nowhere near as fluid as back then, although obviously injuries have played a big part last season. But at least we are picking up points when we aren't playing well so can't grumble, really happy with the return on that score.

Just now, Dr Venkman said:

You know we intentionally didn’t press them today, don’t you?

Yes but we haven’t played our pressing game all season. And if that’s going to be a thing then we need to become much better with the ball, but that feels like a harder problem to solve. Schar back will help loads though.

1 minute ago, Dr Venkman said:

We limited them to poor quality chances, that’s the game plan along with hitting them on the break. They only score from two consecutive individual errors. That was a textbook ‘how to beat Spurs’ set up today.

I mean the last 2 times we played them we hammered them from start to finish.

Just now, Stifler said:

I mean the last 2 times we played them we hammered them from start to finish.

Teams change and evolve, generally.

Whilst we didn't execute it perfectly, it was absolutely the plan to hit these on the counter and it absolutely worked.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Then we need another identity. 

you can say so. We probably just pressed 3-4 times today, and this is our home game before the break. The days of pressing opponents to death might have gone already

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I don’t think he did.  We rode our luck at times.  Last season he played Ange. This time he was a bit Moyes-esque. 

So glad you're back 

3 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

Yes but we haven’t played our pressing game all season. And if that’s going to be a thing then we need to become much better with the ball, but that feels like a harder problem to solve. Schar back will help loads though.

Correct. That’s also why we need Trippier and Tonali back on form asap.

I don't think we played particularly great again tbh, but still beat a top 6 side. This is the resilience we need. Hopefully we grow into the season and become more refined.

2 minutes ago, Zero said:

you can say so. We probably just pressed 3-4 times today, and this is our home game before the break. The days of pressing opponents to death might have gone already

Then how do we regularly win football games? 

Sit deep and hit teams on the counter? Build from the back in a possession based system?

Im happy we won. and the points return. 

Edited by The College Dropout

1 minute ago, Zero said:

1 minute ago, Zero said:

FFS do you ever feel joy?

Murphy sub was the perfect tactical change. He was ropey when he first came on but sticking him at RWB with freedom to get forward won us the game. 

Shutting down the noise and moving onwards and upwards. 

He needed that result and got it. 2 weeks to address a few festering issues, even if he gets 2 or 3 sorted then it should be enough to kick start the season. Priority is sort Gordon's head out. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Murphy sub was the perfect tactical change. He was ropey when he first came on but sticking him at RWB with freedom to get forward won us the game. 

Shutting down the noise and moving onwards and upwards. 

Yup, individually he was quite poor but it was the correct decision tactically and got us the winner 

1 minute ago, LiquidAK said:

Yup, individually he was quite poor but it was the correct decision tactically and got us the winner 

Someone suggested it in the match thread I think.

International break, then three away games before our next home game vs City.

Eddie needs to galvanise the group, bring back nasty Newcastle, the aggressive pressure, pressing in your face, the team winning photos, smiles on everyone's faces, big energy.