Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

On a tactical level, there's some issues I have with the team at the minute. 

- The same goal that we concede all the time. They beat our press and hit us on the break.

- Teams slicing through our midfield with ease.

- The intensity and press that we showed earlier on under Howe just doesn't seem to be there. 

Theyre all related, I see calls for a proper defensive midfielder, but we were so solid under Howe's earlier reign. What changed? If he plays with a DM he'll have to tweak his system.

Where has the intensity gone? We've always been poor at keeping the ball imo but that's negated if we lose the ball and then press high up the pitch to win it back. If we lose our intensity we become a bit of a nothing team. Doesn't seem so much of an issue at home.

There's no doubt a load of reasons for it. Maybe Howe can fix it, maybe the issues aren't particularly deep seeded. Maybe there's way more too it. I don't know but a manager lives and dies by his results. If we keep playing the way we are, the results will reflect that more so than they have already and Howe will be gone. 

Edited by Doctor Zaius

One of the main things I see/feel every game is that our defence is really slow and allows attackers too much space. We should be max two yards from them instead of giving them five and time to pick passes.

Our midfield is not the shield it was a year or two ago, we seem to have lost a bit of aggression...

Edited by buzza

Ok.  I agree with most of that. A part of the reason Villa keep progressing imo is that they are better aligned to do so because they are further into their process. 

And that might actually include being able to hire Emery when we couldn’t. Emery was meant to get Villa into CL - at least Europe. And keep them there. 

Didn't get why he altered the formation to accommodate Gordon, if Gordon is playing shit and not really interested sub him, make the lad get his hunger back. 

It's like the formation changed yesterday to suit Gordon, he starts on the right, he's not affecting the game, they move him to the left and Barnes over, he's still not affected the game, we make changes at HT could just bring a winger on and take Gordon off, nope he alters the formation to keep him on the field, until eventually he's hauled off.

Almiron needs a little run imo, we talk about purple patches etc, but how does a player get onto a purple patch or find any sort of form on the bench, behind those not putting in the hard work.

Definitely think Gordon is looked after a bit, he even admitted to Neville on the overlap he doesn't do any weights or gym, and the manager is ok with it, Neville was a bit stunned, saying something like, so what do the others say when it's part of their programme, and you're able to skip it?

It's not a massive dig at Gordon, because it's obvious to anyone he's a very good player when he's totally committed and driven, but Eddie can't keep players on the pitch that aren't giving everything, I'm including others in that also. 

6 hours ago, Sufi said:

We don’t have a backup striker. Wilson can’t be relied on due to health. We would be crazy to loan him out. Not to mention he can play on the right and get a cameo in matches. Start in cup games to give Isak a break etc. 

Don't disagree with you. Everything I said still holds true though - seems a year or two off from being a contributor, and could use a loan or two out to lower level sides.

2 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Didn't get why he altered the formation to accommodate Gordon, if Gordon is playing shit and not really interested sub him, make the lad get his hunger back. 

It's like the formation changed yesterday to suit Gordon, he starts on the right, he's not affecting the game, they move him to the left and Barnes over, he's still not affected the game, we make changes at HT could just bring a winger on and take Gordon off, nope he alters the formation to keep him on the field, until eventually he's hauled off.

Almiron needs a little run imo, we talk about purple patches etc, but how does a player get onto a purple patch or find any sort of form on the bench, behind those not putting in the hard work.

Definitely think Gordon is looked after a bit, he even admitted to Neville on the overlap he doesn't do any weights or gym, and the manager is ok with it, Neville was a bit stunned, saying something like, so what do the others say when it's part of their programme, and you're able to skip it?

It's not a massive dig at Gordon, because it's obvious to anyone he's a very good player when he's totally committed and driven, but Eddie can't keep players on the pitch that aren't giving everything, I'm including others in that also. 

I love AG don't get me wrong, but we've learned he's got a bit of an ego on him. That's good when he's firing on all cylinders and I applaud it, but when he starts throwing hissy fits on the pitch and thinks he's bigger than our project, that's a problem.

I don't know that the latter's the case, but if it is, Eddie should sit him down and put him in his place.

32 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Ok.  I agree with most of that. A part of the reason Villa keep progressing imo is that they are better aligned to do so because they are further into their process. 

And that might actually include being able to hire Emery when we couldn’t. Emery was meant to get Villa into CL - at least Europe. And keep them there. 

Yea when the season started i thought boom we'd play like we always have mostly under Howe, Like villa second half yesterday but we haven't but then again i'd rather take the dip now and still get points then later on along as it gets fixed 

4 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The PL - outside the top three - isn’t all that great atm. 

Think this is blatantly wrong and it has never been tougher than it is right now. There's arguably a 'big 8' right now and the teams below them are canny good too. Top 2 is ridiculously strong.

Crystal Palace are selling players for megabucks to clubs like Bayern Munchen, West Ham are starting really good internationals like Paqueta, Brighton finally started to use the massive fees they have received. Brentford, Fulham, Nottingham, Bournemouth can beat anyone. PL's financial superiority compared to any other league is starting to show. I think it's telling how hard it is for promoted teams, there used to be one regularly finishing in the top 10 but right now any promoted team would take 17th place if offered before the season.

52 minutes ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

I'm not sure that our owners aren't interested but I do remember an interview Mohammed bin Salman did where his dismissed sportswashing claims and said he was only interested in investing in sport (perhaps Newcastle was directly mentioned, I can't remember) in order to make a profit.  I think a strong argument could be made that that goal with Newcastle has been achieved and spending what is needed to actually compete at the top level is not a sound investment so PIF aren't interested in doing it. They remain interested in spending enough to maintain their position and the value their "asset" currently has, but not much more.

Those comments when they took over re: winning the league etc. could easily have just been one of those things people have to say when they buy clubs and they were taken too seriously by the media.  They might also not have fully released PSR constraints or exactly how much would be needed to truly compete, either way the end result would be the same.

That we could ultimately be reduced to being a line in a spreadsheet detailing investment performance of PIF was one of the (many) reasons I wasn't, and still aren't, thrilled with the takeover. I could be wrong and if I am I won't mind admitting it. I'm also not convinced this is what has happened but its definitely possible.

I've questioned whether PIF are motivated to spend, but not because they are bothered about the profit, they could probably realise a lot more by winning stuff. But PSR has basically tied their hands so we can't really know just how invested they are. They won't mind being forced to make a profit, let's be honest, but if the route to winning is closed off through FFP/PSR, they won't exactly be that fussed about doing more with no demonstrable return.

12 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Howe’s overall body of work is excellent for us. I don’t think anyone would agree that. 

But do we think we’ll finish 4th this season?  Why? Our performances and form over the last 12 months suggest we won’t be that consistent.  We often look vulnerable defensively and incoherent in attack. With repeated issues over the last year.  

Screenshot_20240922_154158_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.86327039bd67babf1705a9f153741bfa.jpg

:geordiesathome:

9 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Screenshot_20240922_154158_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.86327039bd67babf1705a9f153741bfa.jpg

:geordiesathome:

this is before the June debacle when we assumed we would strengthen with 2-3 players. This is pre-Staveley leaving. Pre Mitchell. It’s a new world. 

I said we overachieved with the 60 points last season all things considered. 

If everything goes right for us, I think we could challenge higher up. But the transfer window and reshuffle, down atmosphere has made that much less likely. 

We should finish 7th/8th. anything better is an overachievement. 

Edited by The College Dropout

13 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

this is before the June debacle when we assumed we would strengthen with 2-3 players. 

I said we overachieved with the 60 points last season all things considered. 

If everything goes right for us, I think we could challenge higher up. But the transfer window and politics has made that much less likely. 

We should finish 7th/8th. anything better is an overachievement. 

You said specifically if we keep the band together, and said that our squad was already so strong. But I know the summer was pretty unexpected and should change everyones expectations. Was just having a bit of fun here tbh.[emoji38]

Edited by Erikse

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

I’m a broken record but there’s lots of things PIF could do to show how invested they are outside of spending on transfers. 

stadium

training facilities 

academy 

multi club 

investment in the NE

I think they would be prepared to do all of that if they could spend the money on the squad at the same time. Otherwise there's loads of investment with no demonstrable return for them with being associated with the club. I am also like a broken record, but all this can be hashed out in the FFP or PIF ownership thread.

I know he probably won’t change but I’d love to see us get Bruno and Tonali in a 2 man pairing with Willock as a 10; Gordon, Barnes and Isak up top. Hopefully that solves isolation issues for Isak, it brings much needed pace to the attack, and can be the makings of simple triangles to keep the ball. Defensively it gives us better chance of not being cut through as well. When we counter we will have the front 4 bombing on. This also allows willock to float a bit and do us under and overlapping. 

Howe needs to wield the axe and he needs to chop up his tactic book and start again.

Newcastle's 4-3-3 system has served us well but other teams are onto us now, we're predictable, and everyone we've come up against this season has exploited the fact that the gap between our defence and midfield is too big, Alexander Isak is often isolated up front and too easy to take out of the game.

It is time for something new. We don't have the new players, so we need a new system.  an example of a 4-2-3-1 which  would work well with Tonali and Bruno as the bridge between the back and the midfield with Isak supported by Joe Willock, Harvey Barnes and Miguel Almiron - let's face it, Murphy has had plenty of opportunities lately and Anthony Gordon needs to ride the bench and reflect on his poor attitude.

We doubt it'll happen because Howe is so stubborn, but seriously, something has to give.

Edited by GeordieToon

6 minutes ago, GeordieToon said:

Howe needs to wield the axe and he needs to chop up his tactic book and start again.

Newcastle's 4-3-3 system has served us well but other teams are onto us now, we're predictable, and everyone we've come up against this season has exploited the fact that the gap between our defence and midfield is too big, Alexander Isak is often isolated up front and too easy to take out of the game.

It is time for something new. We don't have the new players, so we need a new system.  an example of a 4-2-3-1 which  would work well with Tonali and Bruno as the bridge between the back and the midfield with Isak supported by Joe Willock, Harvey Barnes and Miguel Almiron - let's face it, Murphy has had plenty of opportunities lately and Anthony Gordon needs to ride the bench and reflect on his poor attitude.

We doubt it'll happen because Howe is so stubborn, but seriously, something has to give.

He definitely needs to do something about the shape because that gap between midfield and defence keeps getting exploited. We can't put that at Paul Mitchell's door, these are Howe's players, he needs to find a way to get them to fit his system better. Or change the system to fit the players.

1 hour ago, Doctor Zaius said:

On a tactical level, there's some issues I have with the team at the minute. 

- The same goal that we concede all the time. They beat our press and hit us on the break.

- Teams slicing through our midfield with ease.

- The intensity and press that we showed earlier on under Howe just doesn't seem to be there. 

Theyre all related, I see calls for a proper defensive midfielder, but we were so solid under Howe's earlier reign. What changed? If he plays with a DM he'll have to tweak his system.

Where has the intensity gone? We've always been poor at keeping the ball imo but that's negated if we lose the ball and then press high up the pitch to win it back. If we lose our intensity we become a bit of a nothing team. Doesn't seem so much of an issue at home.

There's no doubt a load of reasons for it. Maybe Howe can fix it, maybe the issues aren't particularly deep seeded. Maybe there's way more too it. I don't know but a manager lives and dies by his results. If we keep playing the way we are, the results will reflect that more so than they have already and Howe will be gone. 

There were expectations that we would sign a proper 6 going right back to Eddie's first summer. That only went quiet this summer because it's clear that Eddie isn't interested in bringing in a 6. But, people were still seeing that as an issue, and seeing a 6 as our highest priority, even when we were defensively solid.

27 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

There were expectations that we would sign a proper 6 going right back to Eddie's first summer. That only went quiet this summer because it's clear that Eddie isn't interested in bringing in a 6. But, people were still seeing that as an issue, and seeing a 6 as our highest priority, even when we were defensively solid.

Which would also help us playing a more attacking left back like Hall without leaving us too exposed. That's how many other top teams do it. Howe even seemed confused about the question when someone asked him about this.

Edited by Erikse

1 hour ago, TRon said:

I think they would be prepared to do all of that if they could spend the money on the squad at the same time. Otherwise there's loads of investment with no demonstrable return for them with being associated with the club. I am also like a broken record, but all this can be hashed out in the FFP or PIF ownership thread.

That’s an excuse. 

A new stadium increases the clubs value. As do all those other things. 

Everytbing goes back to PIF. But aye. 

To me the blame is on the board, since Howes appointment only City Arsenal and Liverpool have picked up more points than  us. Howe clearly wanted a keeper RW and CB and we didn't get any. You can't stand still in football but we have from last season.

3 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

To me the blame is on the board, since Howes appointment only City Arsenal and Liverpool have picked up more points than  us. Howe clearly wanted a keeper RW and CB and we didn't get any. You can't stand still in football but we have from last season.

He was let down massively by the board but he still needs to get a better tune out of these players because performances just haven't been good enough and that's on him. 

32 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

That’s an excuse. 

A new stadium increases the clubs value. As do all those other things. 

Everytbing goes back to PIF. But aye. 

Take it up in the PIF thread.