Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

17 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

Not enough emojis for a Hope exclusive. 

⚔️ - CLASH

🥊 - INFIGHTING

💣 - EXPLOSIVE 

Sounds like my kite this morning after the chicken and lentil curry I knocked up last night has been fermenting inside overnight. 

‘Held talks’

’constructive dialogue’

It’s not the fucking nuclear non proliferation treaty for fucks sake. What a load of shite. 
‘morning Paul’

’morning Ed. Alreet?’

’aye mustn’t grumble. whats the craic with that Georgian lad?’

’sorted Ed’

’champion. What about that lad with the name no one can spell at Chelsea?’

’leave it with me kidda.’

’sound. Brew?’

5 hours ago, Menace said:

It makes no sense to lose them on a free - and this is coming from someone who thinks Longstaff should've been moved on last summer.

It depends how much their contract packages would be as opposed to a package for a younger version who might have higher ceilings.

22 hours ago, timeEd32 said:

Can't wait for Hope's version.

CIVIL WAR INTENSIFIES FOLLOWING ARMISTICE TALKS -- Sources at Darsley Park have shared that Howe did not hold the door open for Mitchell upon exiting the building. It is not clear if the head coach's hand slipped, perhaps moist from spending the morning on the grass, or if this was retribution for the Director's failure to land this summer's top target. Others have questioned if the squeaky front door is a sign of PIF's wavering commitment to United.

Good but needs emojis. 

19 hours ago, Scoot said:

I think you're underestimating Tonali's passing range. His first time passing looks immense.

There’s nothing in his data that says he has an elite passer. I get why people want to believe that.

Edited by Jagten

1 hour ago, Jagten said:

There’s nothing in his data that says he has an elite passer. I get why people want to believe that.

Depends what metric is being used to measure elite passing. From what I've seen he doesn't make long defence splitting passes, but he is very effective at quick one touch passes into space which releases team mates into dangerous areas.

4 hours ago, Jagten said:

His numbers aren't the best, but what we've seen since his return has been promising. I wonder what the real reason behind the numbers are, because there are some possible explanations other than saying that he's not an elite passer. The riskyness of the passes and the connection with his teammates, for instance.

Edited by Erikse

6 hours ago, Jagten said:

I don't really study data. I tend to just watch football with my eyes.

23 hours ago, Jagten said:

What data metric highlights elite passing ability?

Sigh, maybe I'm getting too old, but I'm so tired of all the rumours and twitter "media" (and I'm not even on twitter).

Been busy and not checked the forum for a couple of days, and yesterday my brother said "What's happening with Howe? Heard Man U wanted him", so I thought this must really have escalated.

Nope. Au contraire. Of course.

Happy to hear they've (not yet kissed and) made up and we can kick on from here  :indi:

Edited by Peppe

56 minutes ago, Joelinton7 said:

Eddie “some players need to step up, I know who they are. There’s no reason why they can’t”. 

Not like Eddie to call out players, even if he's not naming them. But I like it, good to see this side of him once in a while.

On 25/09/2024 at 19:38, Erikse said:

His numbers aren't the best, but what we've seen since his return has been promising. I wonder what the real reason behind the numbers are, because there are some possible explanations other than saying that he's not an elite passer. The riskyness of the passes and the connection with his teammates, for instance.

That’s all part of it. He takes risks with his passes - so some don’t come off. You would want an 8 or a 6 to be pretty secure passers at an elite level.   

Someone like Fernandes gives the ball away a lot. And he can’t dribble much which is why he’s not in the very elite. But his chance creation stats are elite. 

Tonali’s best passing stats are good but not that good but he does play a deeper role. And he’s not as secure a passer as many of the best in his position. But he makes up for some of that in physical ability. 

Eddie let loose today. I'd venture to say this is the most disappointed he's ever been with this squad.

"I think the players know - they are very honest with themselves as well. They know that last week wasn't good enough so that internal reflection can be really healthy and sometimes a performance like that can be actually healthy for the long term if you use it in the right way."

“It was one of those games where we analysed it a lot and we took away a lot from it to try and implement into our game. We didn’t like ourselves (and there was) some honest conversations this week so hopefully we'll respond. We always need to deliver. There's always that pressure but I do think we have a responsibility to show our true selves, to turn up and give our best. Last week was not a great reflection on our style or way of playing. We need to learn from it and come back stronger. We need to step up this weekend.”

"There's been a real re-focusing this week on how we train. The standards that we deliver in our training ... we have to stay on top of the small details." 

On having the points but lacking the performances: "I'd probably take that way at the moment where we've got the points but haven't performed because I know the quality's there, I know the individual ability is there, I know the collective spirit's there, but it's time to show it."

"Your collective performances are always defined by the individuals within it, so if your individual players aren't performing you're going to suffer, especially if they are in the important areas on the pitch that make the difference...everyone has a responsibility to try to be at their best in every game. We need people to step up within the team and that will have a galvanizing effect within the group."

"I think I would know given a blank sheet of paper and [you] say "write down what you think your best team is" I don't think that would be difficult for me, but the problem is you've got to justify your selections so those players have to be in their best moment, their best form. And what you can't do is pick that team if it doesn't deserve to play ... I think we're in that moment where early season players haven't been in their best form ... and we're at that stage now where I'm going to have to make some difficult decisions."

He doesn't sound happy with the squad's fitness. Made comments about Fulham being superior in this regard right after the game, and more noises today about having to manage the style of the play due to various factors being managed behind the scenes.

24 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

This is why we need to get back to the press and forget the possession thing. When we spent all that money on Tonali we committed to the press.  He’s not going to our football Alexis MacAllister. But he can outrun and fight him. 

Good news straight from the manager's mouth...

"There's definitely been no shift in what we want. No, far from it. We want to step it up and improve it, so there's no part of us that's trying to retreat and become more reactive. So no, but then you look and our ability to do that hasn't been of the levels it's been in previous years and there's been a whole multitude of reasons for that. It's not maybe as simple as people think and I've been trying to manage that behind the scenes with the squad. But longer term I've got no doubts we'll get back to that style. Yeah, very quickly is of course the ideal."

It is quite clear that he is feeling disappointed and let down by some key players.

12 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

Eddie let loose today. I'd venture to say this is the most disappointed he's ever been with this squad.

"I think the players know - they are very honest with themselves as well. They know that last week wasn't good enough so that internal reflection can be really healthy and sometimes a performance like that can be actually healthy for the long term if you use it in the right way."

“It was one of those games where we analysed it a lot and we took away a lot from it to try and implement into our game. We didn’t like ourselves (and there was) some honest conversations this week so hopefully we'll respond. We always need to deliver. There's always that pressure but I do think we have a responsibility to show our true selves, to turn up and give our best. Last week was not a great reflection on our style or way of playing. We need to learn from it and come back stronger. We need to step up this weekend.”

"There's been a real re-focusing this week on how we train. The standards that we deliver in our training ... we have to stay on top of the small details." 

On having the points but lacking the performances: "I'd probably take that way at the moment where we've got the points but haven't performed because I know the quality's there, I know the individual ability is there, I know the collective spirit's there, but it's time to show it."

"Your collective performances are always defined by the individuals within it, so if your individual players aren't performing you're going to suffer, especially if they are in the important areas on the pitch that make the difference...everyone has a responsibility to try to be at their best in every game. We need people to step up within the team and that will have a galvanizing effect within the group."

"I think I would know given a blank sheet of paper and [you] say "write down what you think your best team is" I don't think that would be difficult for me, but the problem is you've got to justify your selections so those players have to be in their best moment, their best form. And what you can't do is pick that team if it doesn't deserve to play ... I think we're in that moment where early season players haven't been in their best form ... and we're at that stage now where I'm going to have to make some difficult decisions."

Really like the sound of all of that.