Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

We played well, with some better finishing from an understandably rusty striker we would have won that game against a top half Brighton team. There are signs things are clicking into place recently, I think.

So, I think the criticism of Howe is OTT. But it can't be denied we're an unbalanced squad who are no longer over-performing - not sure whose fault that is re the squad, but we're in a straight-jacket with the legacy squad and PSR.

The squad needs additions first and only then if results don't follow would I start looking towards the manager.

17 minutes ago, Abacus said:

We played well, with some better finishing from an understandably rusty striker we would have won that game against a top half Brighton team. There are signs things are clicking into place recently, I think.

So, I think the criticism of Howe is OTT. But it can't be denied we're an unbalanced squad who are no longer over-performing - not sure whose fault that is re the squad, but we're in a straight-jacket with the legacy squad and PSR.

The squad needs additions first and only then if results don't follow would I start looking towards the manager.

We’re putting out the best first team we’ve had for a long time now IMO, only right wing is a weakness.

Personally I would just play Miggy since he’s the technically best player and would allow Tino to overlap. But I get that Murphy has had some big moments that probably impressed Howe. 

Edit: this is if we don’t want to move Gordon. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

7 minutes ago, TRon said:

Due to lack of end product from the forwards if you scratch below the surface.

True, but I don't think that midfield 3 is balanced. I wasn't convinced it was truly working before Tonali's ban either. I love Tonali, think he's a top class footballer, but the profile(s) of midfielder(s) we needed are still probably need are different to his. But I think that's more down to Howe and his reluctance/refusal to play or sign a more designated DM.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

Yep. Villa, Man City, Liverpool, Brighton last season. Man City, Everton and Brighton this season. 

Ah right, I’m only really thinking about this season. They need a lot more time. 

I wouldn't consider games before Tonali’s ban. 

40 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

The fact we are discussing new managers is silly TBH, absolutely ridiculous behaviour. 

While I agree in principle, it's based on experience. It's obviously the nature of modern football. There's nothing sarcastic about a thread called The Managerial Merry-Go-Round. 

9 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

True, but I don't think that midfield 3 is balanced. I wasn't convinced it was truly working before Tonali's ban either. I love Tonali, think he's a top class footballer, but the profile(s) of midfielder(s) we needed are still probably need are different to his. But I think that's more down to Howe and his reluctance/refusal to play or sign a more designated DM.

I do agree with you on this. I like all three individually, just not sure they work well as a combination. Bruno as a sitting midfielder can cause issues if we are caught upfield, and we aren't really getting any goals from any of them.

9 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Yep. Villa, Man City, Liverpool, Brighton last season. Man City, Everton and Brighton this season. 

Those aren't exactly the easiest set of fixtures tbf, and the 3 this season are all games we played well in. I'd be inclined to give that 3 a longer run of games against a variety of opponents before writing it off entirely 

7 minutes ago, TRon said:

I do agree with you on this. I like all three individually, just not sure they work well as a combination. Bruno as a sitting midfielder can cause issues if we are caught upfield, and we aren't really getting any goals from any of them.

Bruno being used as the base of the midfield 3 stops him getting forward more often. He shouldn't be our DM/base, we should've signed one.

Leads onto my (one of my :lol: ) unpopular NUFC opinions that I never thought I'd disclose; I wouldn't have renewed Joelinton's contract in the summer. I love him and he's the personification of the club since the takeover, but I'd have thought about selling him in the summer and bringing a more designated DM in. Whether it affects squad harmony or not, these sort of decisions in terms of outgoings we've avoided. And Howe has never really played a DM, arguably one of our and his shortfalls.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

36 minutes ago, TRon said:

Due to lack of end product from the forwards if you scratch below the surface.

It isn't just the end product from forwards, although I agree with your gist.

It's the lack of movement, variety and coordination among the front 6. Lots of desire, but not a lot of forethought. I really hate to say it but our attacking game has given me "let's play" vibes for much of the past year. 

We used to have CMs getting into great scoring positions, Willock used to be a menace, but that's a rarity now. Remember Tonali crashing the box for our first goal of last season? How often do we see players even vaguely getting into that position now, let alone receiving the ball or scoring? We've become fretful and spasmodic.

Edited by 80

10 minutes ago, OverThere said:

This is an odd convo given almost all the problems are down to poor finishing by the forwards

Yeah, personally I think the first half v Brighton was the best we’ve played all season and showed real changes in the attacking combinations etc.

There were clear better patterns of attacking play on both sides, Gordon/Hall/Joelinton being particularly good. 

So it’s a weird time to be having the arguments about Howe not changing things and the midfield not being right etc. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

By the way, I agree with those that say a lot of our game game against Brighton was fantastic. We were superb in the first 3/4 of the pitch for probably 60 minutes, certainly the first 30.

We were 85% of the way to an outstanding result. I don't want this to be a baby and bathwater situation. But all the same, like installing software, that last 15% is critical to making the entire effort worthwhile.

Just now, 80 said:

By the way, I agree with those that say a lot of our game game against Brighton was fantastic. We were superb in the first 3/4 of the pitch for probably 60 minutes, certainly the first 30.

We were 85% of the way to an outstanding result. I don't want this to be a baby and bathwater situation. But all the same, like installing software, that last 15% is critical to making the entire effort worthwhile.

Yeah, we were very good but we also still have the propensity to make mistakes and look very tentative when things start going against us. Partly due to having some poor technical players involved, some with bad stamina and just a general lack of confidence I guess. 

But that will go away soon if keeping playing like we did in that game from the start. 

Sadly we now have 3 games which we are quite likely to lose, so we might have to just hold our nerves until Forest. 

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Yeah, we were very good but we also still have the propensity to make mistakes and look very tentative when things start going against us. Partly due to having some poor technical players involved, some with bad stamina and just a general lack of confidence I guess. 

But that will go away soon if keeping playing like we did in that game from the start. 

Sadly we now have 3 games which we are quite likely to lose, so we might have to just hold our nerves until Forest. 

The daft thing is I wouldn't rule out us picking up 6 points from those games. I'm not holding my breath, but still.

Surely that article about Longstaff is made up 

If we can't find a way to get Tonali in the starting 11 and get the best out of him, such is the need to play Longstaff instead, then it's been a complete failure of a transfer 

I'm sure it isn't a failure though, and hope he can be exceptional for us