Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I've said this before but I think our results don't align with our performances.

For me we've been much better performance-wise in the last 4 in which we've picked up 2 points than in the previous 5 when we picked up 10 points. 

After getting those barely deserved wins/points early season we've regressed to the mean and our league position is a reflection of what we've served up so far. This squad is far better than what it's showing this season.

That can be put down to them instead of the manager of course, but when it's 18 months of away games and 11 games in total this season of quite poor showings on a regular basis, I don't think it can be. We don't have any identity in playstyle anymore. It's almost November. 

Edited by HaydnNUFC

8 minutes ago, Joelinton7 said:

I’m not arsed about what he HAS DONE, I’m arsed about what he IS DOING. You rest on your laurels in the PL and others will overtake you. Not fully his fault with the board also to blame but howay it’s so fucking stale atm. Same failings every week too. 

This just reads like trying to justify being fickle. Not sure I believe you either, Pep or Klopp have a run of results like this and they have the gravitas that the fans don't look at them. Similarly Rafa when he was here, given patience during bad spells because his record speaks for itself.

Imo Howe's record combined with that shocking summer window should be doing the same. 

46 minutes ago, Jordan said:

We’re going to have to get a manager from another club if we do replace Howe. There isn’t one out of work at the minute who’d been an improvement. 

Allegri, Zidane, Xavi are all literally free and MUCH better and more proven managers.

I get the attachment to Eddie, I like him as well, nice lad, did an excellent job since he was hired, but let's reign it in a little bit.

If he's not getting sacked it's not because there aren't better options out there.

Just now, Displayname said:

Overall we still have gotten more points than we have deserved tbh.

The Everton and Brighton games are the only games that we have looked the better team in performance wise.

Even in those we noticeably ran out of ideas.

4 minutes ago, ILCAML said:

Allegri, Zidane, Xavi are all literally free and MUCH better and more proven managers.

I get the attachment to Eddie, I like him as well, nice lad, did an excellent job since he was hired, but let's reign it in a little bit.

If he's not getting sacked it's not because there aren't better options out there.

Can we tempt those in existing circumstances?

Also - off the top of my head haven't Zidane nd Xavi only managed Real Madrid and Barca respectively? (Cannot be arsed to look as watching Inter)

Edited by Heron

Just now, Matt1892 said:

The Everton and Brighton games are the only games that we have looked the better team in performance wise.

Even in those we noticeably ran out of ideas.

I still think we used up all our goals in that 6-1 drubbing of Spurs. Every shot we hit was flying in. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Displayname said:

Overall we still have gotten more points than we have deserved tbh.

I think we're around par. You wouldn't bat an eyelid if we'd got 4 from our first 5 and 8 from our last 4.

Even then it's more just that I'm saying to Haydn I think our performances are improving.

9 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Isak, Bruno & Gordon have let him down massively this season. To have all 3 misfiring at the same time is strange though, and you'd think he'd be able to sort at least one out. Joelinton doesn't look the same player pre injury, Willock and Pope the same and Barnes cannot start a game, is at best a sub against tired legs. Tonali's return has been meh whilst the RW turn outs (Murphy, Almiron & Gordon) have been dire. Throw in Trippier destroying his career and marriage for a bit of classless fanny, 2 young FB's who need protecting, whilst the slowest CB pairing in the league being the only fit options, you can comfortably say, the project is on its arse. I'm not sure how much is his fault, but he doesn't help himself at times, and eventually the manager will take the bullet for it all. That's football.

You can’t argue with any of this really. The project needs fresh impetus.
However, a manager’s job is to get the best out of what he has, and the very best build effective teams that are stronger than the sum of their parts. They grind out results when things aren’t in their favour.

Regardless of the players available to him, form, player’s physical attributes etc. he plays the same formation in the same way and has no plan B - something that has been levelled at him for over a year. That bit is nobody’s fault but his, and I think it will be his undoing unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

After getting those barely deserved wins/points early season we've regressed to the mean and our league position is a reflection of what we've served up so far. This squad is far better than what it's showing this season.

That can be put down to them instead of the manager of course, but when it's 18 months of away games and 11 games in total this season of quite poor showings on a regular basis, I don't think it can be. We don't have any identity in playstyle anymore. It's almost November. 

The point isn't about regression to mean though, it's that you were saying our performances aren't improving and I'm saying I think it's pretty clear that they are, despite the results. 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

The point isn't about regression to mean though, it's that you were saying our performances aren't improving and I'm saying I think it's pretty clear that they are, despite the results. 

They have improved, but its from looking like a relegation side to a mid-table one. Lets hope he can take the next step.

The only team expected to be in and around us that's really doing any better results or performance wise is Villa. Man United are a point worse off and playing no better, Spurs a point better off maybe playing slightly better - but so they should be, Brighton shit the bed against a bottom of the league team and were lucky the week before against us, West Ham are doing worse

15 minutes ago, Heron said:

You could say the same about any potential impending replacement though. That would all be based on what they HAVE DONE and not even here.

I don't really see that many obvious and available options who would a) massively improve us given other contraints and b) want to be here at the moment and fonally c) I don't think what he has done for us warrants him being replaced.

I’m not sure I want him gone or not. We’re in limbo at the minute. It’s just so mediocre. Just looks like the Howe train is running out of coal. We can’t be “atmosphere FC” forever.

15 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I’d say our current identity was stale, weak and disjointed

We’ve completely failed to build on the stellar 2022/23 

Last season we could look at the injury list and explain the drop off in performances 

This season it’s a mix of poor / PSR restricted transfer activity that’s left us with a stale, underpowered squad. And if I was Yasir I’d ask serious questions of the effectiveness of Howe’s week to week approach, as he’s the one picking the side and setting them up. And whatever it is he’s doing, it’s not working 

Edited by bobbydazzla

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

We have slightly improved particularly against Brighton, but in all of these last 3 we've looked like we've ran out ideas in the seconf halves, particuarly the last 30 minutes. Brighton and Chelsea didn't need to be great to beat us and a poor Everton didn't need to be great with a makeshift back 4 to keep a clean sheet against us.

Its hardly been uplifting in mood like Leeds away or Everton at home in early 2022 were or Wolves at home and Forest away were in 2023.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

1 minute ago, Joelinton7 said:

I’m not sure I want him gone or not. We’re in limbo at the minute. It’s just so mediocre. Just looks like the Howe train is running out of coal. We can’t be “atmosphere FC” forever.

Pardon? Atmosphere FC?

8 minutes ago, Heron said:

Can we tempt those in existing circumstances?

Also - off the top of my head haven't Zidane nd Xavi only managed Real Madrid and Barca respectively? (Cannot be arsed to look as watching Inter)

Allegri and Xavi for sure. Zidane would be much harder IMO.

Xavi managed in Qatar as well, but essentially yeah. But I honestly don't see how that matters. It's much harder to manager at those clubs due to pressure, expectations and egos than it is mid-table, no matter the difference in squad quality.

1 minute ago, Heron said:

Pardon? Atmosphere FC?

Many of our home victories have been massively helped by the atmosphere at SJP. Players, coaches and board members have all alluded to this. Atmosphere has been non existent at times this season. Brighton was a perfect example. 

1 minute ago, ILCAML said:

Allegri and Xavi for sure. Zidane would be much harder IMO.

Xavi managed in Qatar as well, but essentially yeah. But I honestly don't see how that matters. It's much harder to manager at those clubs due to pressure, expectations and egos than it is mid-table, no matter the difference in squad quality.

I'll be honest - I don't know much about all 3. But Zidane and Xavi don't strike me as available or perhaps better options.

Allegri seems the most likely best of the three (if any) if we were to switch.

Sick of hearing ‘it’s getting better’ and it’s all going to click. Click to what? Are we going to get the solid defence of two years ago? The free scoring team of last season? The team who were smashing teams from the off? 

We look dodgy as fuck at the back. The midfield three don’t look like they know their roles. The set pieces are as bad as I’ve ever seen. And we must be the tamest team in the first 20/25mins of games in the league. 

I don’t want him to go, but I find myself just hoping for an improvement without any confidence of it coming or any idea what is going to change. We don’t seem to be especially good at anything at the moment. 

6 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

We have slightly improved particularly against Brighton, but in all of these last 3 we've looked like we've ran out ideas in the seconf halves, particuarly the last 30 minutes. Brighton and Chelsea didn't need to be great to beat us and a poor Everton didn't need to be great with a makeshift back 4 to keep a clean sheet against us.

Its hardly been uplifting in mood like Leeds away or Everton at home in early 2022 were or Wolves at home and Forest away were in 2023.

Brighton relied on us missing two one on ones and a header that should have been buried, Everton relied on us missing two massive one on ones and a fucking penalty :lol:, Chelsea got away with a red card and Isak not being clinical enough when through. I just don't see it. Results, 100%, but not performances.

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 minute ago, Joelinton7 said:

Many of our home victories have been massively helped by the atmosphere at SJP. Players, coaches and board members have all alluded to this. Atmosphere has been non existent at times this season. Brighton was a perfect example. 

Ah okay.

As fans it should always be Atmosphere FC, for me but I agree. The club should be aiming to give the fans something to sing about.

Surely, if the club are saying how much the atmosphere helps them we should.all remain positive and behind them though, right...

25 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Isak, Bruno & Gordon have let him down massively this season. To have all 3 misfiring at the same time is strange though, and you'd think he'd be able to sort at least one out. Joelinton doesn't look the same player pre injury, Willock and Pope the same and Barnes cannot start a game, is at best a sub against tired legs. Tonali's return has been meh whilst the RW turn outs (Murphy, Almiron & Gordon) have been dire. Throw in Trippier destroying his career and marriage for a bit of classless fanny, 2 young FB's who need protecting, whilst the slowest CB pairing in the league being the only fit options, you can comfortably say, the project is on its arse. I'm not sure how much is his fault, but he doesn't help himself at times, and eventually the manager will take the bullet for it all. That's football.

absolutely right.

blame shared between eddie , the players, and the owners.

still dont believe why we havent had a little more creative accounting upstairs like chelsea and citeh.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Brighton relied on us missing two one on ones and a header that should have been buried, Everton relied on us missing two massive one on ones and a fucking penalty :lol:, Chelsea got away with a red card and Isak not being clinical enough when through. I just don't see it. Results, 100%, but not performances.

Spot on.